Gustav Temp Banned For Foul Words?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Anarcho Union, May 12, 2011.

?

Should foul word use be grounds for a ban?

1. Yes, it should.

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No, it should not.

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Other. (Please explain)

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No I read it - it was lengthy but not thoughtful. It also completely missed the point that Bells was making. I saw no point in responding to a post which was not supported by what I have seen of bans/permabans in this forum. For example, this thread where Fraggles feelings were hurt when Gustav goddamned an online dictionary with foul language - would that argument really hold up with anyone else?

You forget, I've been there. I've read the backroom bitching about members. So yeah, banning Gustav for saying goddamn is really hypocritical considering some of the things Fraggle has said.

In the light of this thread, where Gustav was banned for saying goddamn, not addressing Fraggle but addressing online dictionaries and Oxford, what do you think of the hypocrisy of letting mods and admins get away with insulting members of the forum?

IOW, is attacking the argument punished on the forum but attacking the members gratis?

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Hmmm..

Blasphemer!

Ignore function works well as well.

The issue I have with that is that it's a bit of a double edged sword. What if someone actually was being a "fucking idiot"? A spammer for example and someone responded in the spammer's thread "You're a fucking idiot"? And when the spammer and posts are noticed, do we then action against the insulter as we go to ban the spammer?

See for me, I would not find that actionable. Because preaching Christians who turn up at my door at 8am on a Saturday morning do give people the shits and they are offensive, even to fellow Christians.

As you say, context. But I would go so far as to say to look at the context of the whole thread instead of just the post.

Until it gets to one "goddamn" too many.

The difference between them and you for example is that you are more subtle and they were more open.

I did not say the blame is not collectively shared.

And we do share that blame. And personally speaking, it is bordering near the ridiculous.

There will always be a risk of dropping into the inane and ridiculous realm where words like "goddamn" is factored in as foul language to be considered in the general ban..

We know the reason he was banned was for insults. But citing "goddamn" and "fucking" as an example of foul language which helped push the ban along?..

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SAM:

If I valued your opinion on such matters, I might be hurt. Fortunately, I do not.

Maybe. Maybe not.

By the way, it's perhaps worth noting that I am not Fraggle. Fraggle makes his own decisions about how to moderate the subforums he is responsible for. If I were moderating his forums, I might exercise my judgment differently. Or maybe not.

The current thread is all very nice in that allows people to discuss what they would have done or not done in Fraggle's position, and perhaps to request that things be done differently in future. It also provides an opportunity for some people to vent.

What it doesn't do is to act as some kind of formal request for an administrative review of Fraggle's actions. Complaints about moderators are ordinarily directed to admins by PM. A general forum discussion about such matters is largely an academic exercise.

Not that moderators and admins don't take notice of such things, of course. The views of members are important to us.

I assume that by "bitching" you mean the robust and honest and sometimes contentious discussions about members and how to handle issues of
    moderation that arise in relation to them. Eye of the beholder.

Two moderators cannot be expected to hold the same view on every issue, any more than any other two people can.

Such as?

Links might help here.

Show me some of these moderator insults you're referring to.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You must be thinking of someone else. Since when have I allowed feelings to interfere with discussion?

But since you asked, let me illustrate why I ignored previous post by responding to this one:

When your personal bias against a member is not involved I have seen you to undertake the override of a mod decision. In fact, even when your personal bias has been involved I have known you to override your own decision when proved wrong.

So yes, the fact that Gustav was banned for 14 days for saying goddamn to an online dictionary and stayed banned is evidence of your support for this decision.
    Note the responses from the mod team - they are even more interesting in that the number of people who have addressed the issue objectively [i.e. is saying goddamn to an online dictionary a bannable offense] is very very limited
    Let me reiterate:

This person is offended by the word goddamn? Really? This person who thinks religion is evil, who considers "you contemptible Jews, Christians and Muslims" and "you moron religionists" and "you retards" as acceptable terms of definition of religious people and members of this forum is offended by Gustav saying goddamn to an online dictionary!!??

To repeat: But yeah, when dissent is categorised as profanity, what we are doing is pandering to little egos, not rational debate.

And it seems, sci is chock full of little egos these days.

One advantage of this to the administration is that expectations of rationality from the admin have reached all time lows, so the bar is set at a level appropriate to their emotional investments in their own superciliousness

Yeah we noticed.

No I mean where Fraggle vents his angst against members by using profane language and maligning their personalities and characters.

True, but in a science forum, you'd think that more than two moderators would see the ludicrousness of assigning "goddamn" as profanity. I would expect that kind of consensus in a religious forum but not in a science forum.

I doubt it.

I already did.

8. Bells Staff Member

Which kind of goes to the crux of the matter.

The dangers of such actions of course, is that they set dangerous precedents which will come back and bite everyone on the proverbial backside in the future.

For example, when you or I say we may not have acted the same as Fraggle.. That sets a dangerous precedent because his opinion varies greatly from my own in this.. as an example. Personally, I would not have infracted or acted on that particular post of Gustav's. But others will and have. Which is greatly inconsistent. Am I at fault for not actioning that post if it had appeared in Human Science? Or is Fraggle at fault for actioning it as he did?

The rules are broad and they are meant to be because we have to take context into consideration. When we do not, then we run the risk of appearing to hold grudges and finding anything we can to punish or ban someone.. because we can and because we want to.

Two moderators cannot be expected to hold the same views, nor can two different people. But two moderators should come to a consensus on what is actionable and what is not based on the rules. At the moment, we aren't. I say we because I am not in consensus. Either I am wrong or others are. It could very well be a situation of 'it can't be everyone else' scenario. And I may be fundamentally wrong.

One of the biggest mistakes we can possibly do is to dismiss the message because of the messenger. That applies to both sides of this argument.

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Is it possible that Fraggle got fed up with Gustav's posts and found an excuse to get rid of him for a few days.
    Could it, in fact be this post which was the final goddamn straw?
    Heh Heh

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I beg to differ. This would only be relevant if there were expectations of consistency in the so-called rules. My own expectations are merely consistency with the stated stance of [some of] the moderators themselves - and how they are nowhere to be seen in their moderation. One does not expect James R to become Fraggle Rocker or even to adopt or deny his position. But one can surely not be over reaching to expect Fraggle Rocker to demonstrate his own stated stance in his moderation? What is the credibility of the moderator to be based on? Or are they all to be assumed as incredible? Should we assume that what FR prates on in his posts are hyperphasic or paraphasic dyslogical speeches which are in no way determinant of his actual position on an issue?

Is apposite usage of words also a bannable offense? Is jackass more or less insulting or "foul" than retard or moron? Can you call a jackass a jackass?

11. sniffy Banned Banned

Well what kind of goddam skanky bitch would ban Gustav?

12. Bells Staff Member

One without a vagina.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Subforums are separate environments.
    That's good for biodiversity isn't it?

Fraggle likes to keep Linguistics somewhat learned and scholastic.
    Calling him a Jackass was bound to cause trouble.
    Funny though.

14. sniffy Banned Banned

Ergo it was ego that brought about the ban.

15. sniffy Banned Banned

The epithet still holds.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

To some extent.
    Plus, he has set standards in his subforum, and wants to keep them that way.
    That's reasonable I think.
    But to Gustav it's like a red rag to a Bull.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Uh.. keep reading.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would accept it if it was someone like Billy T who does not call people names and hence could rightfully object if he was so abused. But when you go around calling members morons and retards, its rather ironic to [supposedly] ban people for calling you a jackass

I think however, the ban was for the thread which Gustav had started on Fraggle - which no longer exists - in which he painstakingly reproduced Fraggle's moderation posts as an example of trolling.

This kind of stuff:

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you should read gendanken's posts ...

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

My concern is that those who share a lot about themselves at the forums put themselves in danger IRL.

Some members share so much information about themselves, in open forums, where they live and work that it would be possible to identify them IRL.

This becomes even more dangerous if the person is living a lifestyle which their environment does not approve of.

I feel bad about the altercation between us, although I am not sure how to mend it ...

21. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

In my book Fraggle is a stand-up guy.

Gustav's post, to me, was pushing a little too hard. He could have toned it down a little. He was addressing a Mod. The fact it is an accumulation of posts is the main factor. IF Gustav has had prior warnings and has ignored them then he made his choice. Have to ask him when he gets out.

Fraggle has always been civil with me. And even when I have questioned his stance on occasion it has been very amicable.

Gustav and Fraggle are the only two who can unravel this.

22. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

God is the only one who can unravel this. And He is dead like a Dodo.

23. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Well, something's unraveling that's for sure. I appreciate the thread and all the comments from all sides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.