Guilt Over The Poor?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by sderenzi, Oct 24, 2006.

?

Answer

Poll closed Nov 13, 2006.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. Genji Registered Senior Member

I rest my case

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

As for the OP which got lost with white supremacist and gaybashing rants; Like I said, I could be less wasteful.
    I also think the wealth of the world should ensure that starvation is extinct. We have more than enough money, we only need to apply it toward human need and not wars and space junkets.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ah well.
    I tried.
    Actually. The post I typed to you is quite small.
    But, you haven't been around long enough to know how voluminous a post I am able to produce, so I guess I forgive you.

But, you do realize that your refusal to answer the simple point I made is a concession?
    I'm sure you do.

At least have the decency to admit that you erred in your sweeping statements about 'the poor'.

And just so you know (although I doubt you'll believe me), I'm not 'gaybashing'. I was making a funny.
    I wonder if I had not made this 'comic' statement if you would have been able to answer the simple point I made or if you still would have conceded the point as you did?
    The world may never know.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Genji Registered Senior Member

I'm not clear about what I refused. You split the discussion away from poverty to...something about poor people in war are unhappy, because of war, not being dirt poor and that empathizing with the poor makes me weak or stupid or something. Hurry! I'm off in 20minutes!!!

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Actually, it was you that confused the issue by bringing in situations such as Darfur as 'poor people being unhappy'.

Being poor is not, in itself, a cause of unhappiness.

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

As to this, I was more just commenting on the tactics you were using. Categorizing yourself as normal and me, by implication, not normal.

I wonder if you're aware of the use of such tactics or if they come naturally to you?

I also wonder how you reconcile this with your homosexual nature as I'm sure you've been on the 'abnormal' end of this type of tactic many times.

Of course. That's another topic altogether, but the fact is that I don't really give a shit about the poor.

10. Genji Registered Senior Member

True. Especially if you have never had material wealth, comforts, etc. I named places of extreme poverty to illustrate to some others that poverty isn't some big joke deserving of non-whites, which was Clearly Roman and GSpot's comments. I'm poor to many people I'm sure. A low end Ford, a 1 bedroom apt, 30k a year, no fancy clothes. To Rush or Hannity I'd be considered poor. But to a resident of sub-Saharan Africa I'm wealthy.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

You're an spoiled idiot.

But again, spoiled idiots are often funny to read...

12. Genji Registered Senior Member

Yes, homosexuality isn't common. I won't apologize though. It's a lonely life, especially as you age. But bash away, been getting it since 6th grade or so.

Why are you in the thread if you disregard the poor? To attack posters interested in the topic?

DAMN you type fast!

Sorry I got nasty. I meant some of it, just not the tone. I'm justa frustrated, lonely, fag janitor, sitting on a stool. What can I say?

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

But you have a nice job. Not many people have nice jobs...

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Wha's the issue, then?

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hmm.
    And. Before you take offense...
    What I meant by 'homosexual nature' and reconciliation is wondering if you feel guilt over using such tactics when they've been used against you so often in the past.
    I'm not calling you abnormal or even making a statement on your sexual preference.
    A thing you should understand is that I find the fact of your homosexuality so unimportant that I have no problem making light of it.
    I don't know what you think of that. But that's how it is.

In the same way, I don't care about the poor in third world countries.
    I have my own problems.

Exactly.
    See? That was easy.

But, the thing is that the whole notion of wealth and poverty is somewhat alien to reality. The modern age is very artificial.
    Hunter-gatherer tribes could easily be considered to be some of the happiest people on Earth.

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

True. Children's rights are like... 20 years old, at the most? And the school system does not treat them much better either...

And in Canada we have "social services", but they are nearly completely useless and nearly dangerous. I've heard of normal parents who got their children taken away because someone called on them when their child was teething. No questions asked. Then I heard of people that smoke crack and the social services won't take the children away. Worse then that, they discriminate against young parents. Canada is pretty screwed up....

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

See? You did misunderstand.
    I wasn't calling you abnormal. Mrely commenting on your tactics...
    Wondering if you saw how you were using the very tactics used against you since the 6th grade.

To point out hypocrisy whereever I find it.
    Muaha!

Also. The topic is Do You Feel Guilt Over The Poor.
    I don't.
    So I answered.

100 words a minute.

Truthseeker,

Actually, it's not the job but the attitude.
    Plenty of people have my exact job and can't stand it.
    They only do it for the money.

Being raped and murdered, maybe?
    That's the answer for the Darfur region.
    But there are innumerable other causes of unhappiness in the world.
    Poverty can be an exacerbating condition. And there are cases of extreme poverty where life isn't even possible.
    But, on the whole, people need more than poverty to be unhappy.

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

So... if you were starving to death you would still be happy?

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Huuuum... I agree...
    But can you really be happy when you are mining coal? :bugeye:

But poverty cause death, sickness, insecurity, instability. How can you be happy if you are always anxious about whether you are going to eat or feed your baby tomorrow? How can you be happy if you are sick because you don't have clean water? Isn't it obvious there is a causal relationship between poverty and unhappiness?

20. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Of course you do.

It's the nature of your own poverty.

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

That would be the 'extreme poverty' which I mentioned.
    However, there are ways to be happy even in such a situation. Humans are capable of great sacrifices given the proper motivation.

Yes.
    Do you believe coal miners are incapable of happiness?
    Why?

Lots of things cause these things.

Why ask how?
    It happens.
    People are capable of happiness in the most dire of situations.

It might be obvious, but it's not necessarily true.
    I've mentioned scientific studies that indicate that poverty doesn't equate to unhappiness.
    Roman has mentioned anecdotal evidence of first-hand experience of happy people in third world countries.
    You, yourself, were raised in a bit of a poverty stricken environment, yes? Was there no happiness in your past? Really?

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Such as...

Maybe because they cannot breath properly, cannot sleep properly because of that and are dying of lung disease....?

True. But poverty is the main one. There are around 3 billion people living in poverty today. At least half of the world's population...

But again, a lot of americans are way richer and still unsatified. That's because they have a ridiculously high standard of living. The difference is that poor people can barely survive and the NEED more money just to survive.

True. But only for so long....

I'm capable of being happy when my child is screaming. But after 15 hours of screaming, it starts getting kinda hard, ya know?

Ok, let's see those...

You always criticize anecdotal evidence. Why not now? Because it "proves" your point of view?

Around me, yes. But not with me.

23. Roman Banned Banned

To a resident of sub-Saharan Africa you live like a king.