Guess at slowing of Earth spin

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Billy T, Mar 11, 2006.

?

How big is "SLIGHTLY" (in first post of Billy T if not here)

Poll closed Mar 25, 2006.
  1. Less than 1.0E-4Meters

58.8%
  2. Less than 1.0E-2Meters

5.9%
  3. Less than 1Meter

17.6%
  4. Less than 100Meters

5.9%
  5. Less than 1000Meters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. More than 1000Meters

11.8%
  1. Tortise Registered Senior Member

Yes. But the idea of maping atoms and creating an exact replaca might get around this. Sinse knowing the exact position and speed/direction of atoms in imposible according to the uncertainty princible, a quantum model might have to be used. But this is just reiterating what has already been said before. Michael Chrichton made a book about a time machine that used MRI technology - MRIs map the position of hydrogen atoms. Food for thought.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

I work with MRI. They do map the position of hydrogen, but the sensitivity is incredibly low. You have to have supermolar concentrations to get any signal at all. Typically only 6 atoms per million are detectable, and then it takes millions of those to generate a detectable signal.

-Dale

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tortise Registered Senior Member

Hi Dale, I used to work in a related field (CT) it's nice to know that there are other people on here that have similar backgrounds to me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

Cool! I don't know if you still keep up with the field, but there is some really interesting work being done on using carbon nanotubes as a low temperature electron source for x-ray generation. Could be used to have multiple really fast-switching sources so you could do without the spinning tube and detectors arrangement.

-Dale

8. Tortise Registered Senior Member

No, I haven't heard about that - it sounds very interesting - and if you had not said it, I would have insisted that it was BS

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006