Ground-dwelling bees

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by DaveC426913, Jul 9, 2018.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The description doesn't match very well.
    Way too many easily visible nest entrances in a small space, for starters. Also too small, looks like a honeybee, sting hurts a lot (digger wasps have comparatively mild stings, generally), and so forth.
    Note that the shop vac idea ( good idea!) will not work for solitary bee colonies - any one nest hole will net you one bee at most. There isn't any "the hole", as there is for yellowjacket or bumblebee ground nests.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

One little known fact is that bee venom is an excellent cancer killer.
    The main problem lies in the targeting of the diseased cells as bee venom also destroys healthy cells.
    They are now experimenting with a delivery system that seeks out diseased cells by their chemical signature. They are developing nano-bees which are covered in bee venom and released in the blood stream. As each diseased cell requires a nano-bee to kill it, millions of nano-bees are required to "seek and destroy" the cancer cells.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Isn't this kind of thee problem with any cancer-targeting treatment?

I mean, the same could be said of hammers, flamethrowers and hand grenades.

They are all excellent cancer killers, the problem lies in the fact that they also destroy healthy cells.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No apparently bee-venom has the right kind of attributes for individual cell destruction. There are bee farmers who raise bees strictly for their venom.

Check this NOVA presentation (start at 45:15 for the bee venom)

8. gamelord Registered Senior Member

Don't know about you but I don't want nano-bots floating around in me.

This just seems like an excuse for the government to begin inserting who knows what into people.

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

It is actually scientists who are working on this. I don't think they have ambitions to rule the world......they just want to find a cure for a horrible disease........

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

A hundred years ago, you'd be the one saying "I don't want penicillin floating around in me."

11. gamelord Registered Senior Member

God I hope so.

Because I am actually allergic to that stuff, lol.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

So am I......

But that is the point of targeted nano bees. Bee venom will destroy healthy cells also if it were administered randomly. But homing in on a diseased cells' "signature" solves the problem.
    If you inject a few million nano bees into a person, you need an accurate "homing" system.