Greetings, one and all..

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by smellincoffee, Oct 31, 2011.

1. smellincoffee Registered Member

I found this forum during a websearch for a YouTube video. :lol Although my formal education is in history and sociology, I've been passionate about science for the last five years and have attempted to redeem all the time I spent ignoring it in high school and college by becoming scientifically literate via books. I've always been fascinated by outer space, but I suppose my background in the humanities is reflected in that I tend to be interested in human-interest sciences...anthropology, behavior, biology, psychology, and related fields. Carl Sagan and Isaac Asimov were most responsible for encouraging me, and now I listen to a few science-related podcasts -- Neil deGrasse Tyson's "StarTalk", as well as The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe and AstrnomyCast. I hope one day to be a reference librarian, but I haven't started work on my master's in library science yet.

I look forward to future conversations here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

All good and dandy . Best of luck to you .

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, smellincoffee.

Would that be fresh-brewed or instant?

Contemporary or Cowboy coffee?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Cool...I still have half a degree in sociology...it'll apply towards clinical social work...eventually...the Peter principle is what really hooked me.
    When I can keep my brain cooties down long enough, I will make that a whole degree. Damn brain cooties.

I already stumbled across another of your posts and said hi, so hi again.

8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the place, Smellin. Pleased to meet you, hope you have a good time here.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately Halve's are never a whole, unless of course there is two of them and they are both halves of the same whole.

Otherwise my qualifications would be endless (compared to posed failures), however that would start a query as to whether people should look as if the glass if half empty or half full. Ideally implying that you have half a qualification is far more positive (Optimistic for potential employers) than implying that you have none (Pessimism for all involved).

Alternatively there is a full qualification potential, however it's rare that a full qualification truly quantifies a persons practical experience. In essence a person can cram for an exam, can drift through academic coursework and pass, but then once they have received a diploma, forget anything that they have learnt. After all they've got to that particular goal and if absence of interest (or work) persists, they go about the onset of mental atrophy unlearning it all.

That's why any subject should seen as "practitional", where by "practice makes perfect". There is also the factor that many fields of study are forever changing based upon the advances of technology and science, which means someone trained half a century ago on one subject might hold perceptions based on older outdated models than that of the more recently quantified. So practitioners are less likely to become obsolete.

What better way of saying hi to a new poster ("Hi!" btw) than posting a response to someone else's post.

10. smellincoffee Registered Member

Thanks for the welcomes, all.

I'm tempted to say "as long as it's hot", but I've never actually tried instant coffee.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Liberate te ex infernis.

12. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Then you have potential as a Renaissance Man yet, although instant coffee has come a long way and I find a use for it in whipping up a passable thermos of French Vanilla by the addition of cream, sugar and real vanilla, as an aid to working graveyard shift.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I am just fond of coffee flavored cream and sugar, lol....

I prefer a 'freshly-ground-from-whole-bean' just prior to brewing coffee. Most of the drip machines can produce acceptable coffee from such, and not to leave the pot on the burner after brewed is the most important fact to know.

However, if one is in the great out-of-doors, one will benefit greatly from the gently parboiled excellence of coffee that has been reduced nearly to roofing tar, lol, a condition which can be alleviated to some degree by the addition of a shot of cold spring water, which thins the mixture to drinkable and reduces the need of sifting the corpulent coffee grounds through one's teeth.

13. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Fresh - ground mocha - java from whole bean. I like Peets, get it online. Melitta - style filter drip with a bit of evaporated milk to round the flavour.

When we backpack into the bush we take along the same, only pre-ground and use our REI camp mugs instead of a pot. Even after 2 weeks in the N Ontario bush that coffee makes it a real breakfast.