Greatest Star Trek Captain

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Prince_James, Dec 12, 2006.

1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Before, of course. Although, he had a second life after going back to the cage and all, but I think he gave up the right to be called a captain by that time. Pet, more like.

As to Voyager, I liked it. It's true, I suppose, that the earlier episodes were the best.

Neelix was a bit of a putz. I liked his girlfriend though. I always thought it was a shame that she left the show. Seven of Nine was all boobs and nerd's wet dreams and everything, but she never quite did it for me.

She did come back, of course, or an alternate her did. That was a decent episode from the later seasons.

I also LOVED the idea that they had a serial killer languishing away in their brig the whole trip. I don't know the guy's name but he played Piter De Vries in the original Dune movie and always plays weirdos. Oh. He played Wormtongue in The Two Towers, too.

Enterprise was slow and boring. But, I only watched the first season and few episodes from later seasons. It just wasn't exciting at all. Maybe I just never got past the stereotype of Sam Beckett. Hoping that his next leap would be the leap home (he never did make it home, you know.)

The thing about TNG is that they rarely left the ship. Some dire circumstance would arise and they'd just... talk about it. Maybe jump into the holodeck for a little fun. Then talk some more. Talk talk talk talk talk.

Kirk ruled because he understood the need for the nameless security man to be beamed down to the planet for cannon fodder.

As to Picard. The man didn't even go down to the planet the few times they did send an 'away team' down.
    He left that to his "number two'.
    What a homo.

He did have a pretty cool catch phrase though.

"Make it so."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brad Dourif - the psycho-chap in Voyager you were referencing. Indeed, nifty idea but a plot line ripped off directly from season 2 of Babylon 5 I think you'll find - coincidently, I hasten to add, a part played by.... Brad Dourif in a similar role but actually far cleverly done story wise.

Ah, who can argue with that - tiny, bendy, bird like. Indeed, though actually in life stunning woman though Jeri Ryan actually is, Seven-of-Nine didn't particularly do much for me either except make me want to pitch encyclopedia's at the screen everytime Neelix's face appeared on it twice as much as I did before she became a cast member....

When I don't take to a fellow I really, really don't take to them at all.

Oh, I dunno. I think afterwards, before becoming the Telosians pet as it were, as a crispy-critter he'dve made quite an engaging starfleet captain - good in a clinch, never shows fear or emotion of any kind - requisites for a leader of men I think you'll find - All issues of drooling aside, what you would have had would have been a man focused on his job, not gallivanting about after the fillies every time the ship ran into something with hips. None of that touchy-feely romantic crap - just good honest, no-nonsense captaining, unfortunate skin condition notwithstanding...

I do. Was quite touching that....

Enterprise - indeed, first season was kind of slow in the action stakes, but it was rather nice seeing how they came up with inventing everything every other show from the OS onwards had pretty much taken for granted - working out how to communicate, what the M in M-Class planet actually stood for, never using the transporters becasue everyone was too scared to use them - lots of nice, little touches humanising the whole process of what later becomes known as Startrek which, y'have to admit, does consist largely of a bunch of right old smug bastards who never once so much even thought about ever having to go to the toilet - in Enterprise they did, caught the clap, fucked up royally and lurched their way across the cosmos feeling their way as they went.

They drank coffee out of mugs, got the shits, used grappling hooks instead of tractor beams and resented Vulcan's, let the ships dog piss on the tree's - it was the closest thing to a startrek show taking the piss out of startrek as you could hope to find that first season - unfortunately it had to go the way of all the others...

Dull. Predictable. Unimaginative. Formalistic. Bah, we say.....

This indeed does remain true - the ship-in-a-bottle episode - of this TNG excelled. It made Paramounts accounts department very happy. Hated all that Holodeck shtick... Cheap story, the narrative equivalent of "and then I woke up and it was all a dream....."

DS9 did that one far too often as well.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fLuX Registered Senior Member

Yes I'd agree. The original series was more outside the ship, and then TNG was more inside. It says somethng about the shows though. Comparing perhaps an exploration of the outside, and then inside world. That's interesting.

I liked Voyager for all it could do, I don't want to discredit Janeway. She did screw the borg up severely, and species 8472. I didn't like the idea of the show itself. It was like Lost in Space, Star Trek style.

I'd still vote for Picard and Kirk though, they're opposites and could make it work to a wonderful balance.

But I just don't think Janeway compares to them. They command the Enterprise, the name alone was made legendary in Kirk's time, he set the standard for the type of captain the ship needed. So the fact Picard even got that command has to say something. And Picard had his own maneuver!

I might like Janeway more if I saw more of the show when it was on

I suppose the bottom line is that since every crew is different, we can't compare Captains. Each captain fit their crew accordingly.

Yeah and they did tend to stay on DS9 a lot in the show, but it was centered around the actual space station, that had a lot of frequent activity. So they could get away with it. Instead of running around the galaxy, they had a tendency of bringing it to them.

I read an article online earlier that mentioned a new movie, they've released a poster as well. No real plot or character ideas as of yet though. Or atleast that I could find other than speculation and rumor.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sderenzi Banned Banned

Hi,

I think the order of preference would be The Next Generation, Original, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise.

Why is that? Because TNG was fun an exciting, it had unusual scientific theories and was always coming up with something new! ORG was nice because of the fighting and worry over who might die next, I also liked that they were willing to have stupid scenerios like Spocks Brain, lmao DS9 is really a combination of the 2 I think, it contained elements of both, and in reality it was really, really good, but the problem is the guy that brought it to screen was so obsessed with making problems in the series he lost sight of what Star Trek was. He complained the first 2 series were all about exploration and to goody-goody, haha fucker! Voyager was alright, Seven wasn't exactly a hottie ya know people, jeez she wore a suit most of the damn show, how is that sexy? Did you even see her in that magazine posing in her underwear with all these other hot woman, now that was fine stupid dorks! So she didn't really add anything to the series in my opinion, but ehh the best thing in it was the holographic doctor! Enterprise, well... umm... I watched it, hated the entire thing, thought they were completely ridiculious in their approach. I mean listen it's just stupid to have all this advanced technology in it and have the thing running like clock-work, it was the first starship! Hell it would've been a much better series had they brought the plots more geared toward what goes wrong in spaceflight and how it effects the ship, then we'd have had some fun! I don't think I'll buy any of the series since they cost so much but I love them all, for the most part.

8. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Voyager-Complete-Seasons/dp/B00062IDDS/sr=8-1/qid=1166102133/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-4050802-1892846?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Alternatively search amazon for the seasons separately. They're kinda pricey at the moment...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Mr. Anonymous is incorrect about his evaluation of Voyager...it's really good. Like I said before...Janeway faced Queenie Borg and blew her to bits. I should have really warned about a plausible spoiler...but I assumed everyone saw it.

Enterprise on the other hand has a Quantum Leap stigma that worked to it's disadvantage...why the hell would they cast "Sam Beckett" in a Trek role? Enterprise struck me as a series made solely to cash in on the Trek franchise. Why leave a gold mine unstripped right? Let's face it...the Big Four were Kirk, Picard, Janeway and Sisko.

Perhaps instead of pitting captains v captains, interesting questions would be...How'd they fare on each other's ships?
    - Would Janeway have made a better flagship captain after her stint in the delta quadrant instead of becoming Admiral Janeway?
    - Would Picard survive with a rickety old Constitution class Enterprise were he time-ported to Kirk's era?
    - How would the Fed-Dominion war have gone if Kirk commanded DS9? Could you imagine Dukat's face after getting a tongue lashing from James Tiberius?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Two words for the Dominion War:

Ripped. Tunic.

10. fLuX Registered Senior Member

Eh? I'm not sure I follow.

11. fLuX Registered Senior Member

Enterprise-D, your serial number should be 74656 =D

12. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Nawwww...1701-D is by far the sexiest starship. Designers haven't magic'd up a sleeker model as yet, everything else looks blocky. A close second is a D'Deridex or D'Kazanak Warbird (TNG/DS9 Romulan warbirds, D'Kazanak is just a short-lived larger version).

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Neelix....grrr...

I later saw him in a 'normal' shape. That's without his star trek outfit. He still looked annoying. He still irritated me.

NEELIX!!!..:GRRRRRRRRrrr

my apologies for this outburst.

14. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

LOL yeah...he was one of the clones in 'The Island'...he was just as annoying there.

But he's Voyager's distraction from 'normal' characters...like Wesley, Data, Odo, Quark, Garak and yes...even Spock. All the Treks had to have someone different...annoying/genius/emotionless whatever...something different from the average crewmember.

15. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

FLux:

Captain Kirk's green tunic when he is not wearing his outer uniform. He'd use it alone to squash the Cardies.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  16. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

The thing is that TOS was written as an Action-Adventure show. And with Kirk as the star, you had to get him into the action and adventure. This means beaming down to an unexplored planet and into peril, even when a real Captain wouldn't.

TNG on the other hand, evolved more as a Drama. This leads to a different type of story tellling. The show was less about what peril they got into than what types of decisions the characters had to make. Picard, as the captain, had the largest decisions to make and thus didn't have to beam down into peril in order to be involved with the story. This was actually more realistic.
    (This doesn't mean Picard couldn't be placed in peril from time to time, just that it didn't have to be done week after week.)

17. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Picard has one thign that always annoyed me: His utter and complete lack of conviction.

Every single episode he changes his mind like he changes his underpants. On radical issues. I have litterally seen episodes separated by no more than five chronologically, where he has affirmed before "We cannot break the prime directive!" and then "we must break the prime directive!"

It is truly pathetic.

18. draqon Banned Banned

How exactly would you know that...and...why exactly would you want to know that?

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Oh, Shatner is pretty cool by Hollywood standards. It's not easy on the ego living down being Captain Kirk for the rest of one's life, but he's done a pretty good job of it. Most of the stuff you are referring to was simply the usual Hollywood mix of hype, sarcasm, and mediocre writing. Shatner never took it all that seriously, he's just a professional performer who does the job he's paid to do and he gets into the role because that's part of the job and people expect it of him.

He has to ham it up and play a horny old toad with the onset of dementia on "Boston Legal" and it must require him to sit in a closet between shoots and double over with laughter. Did you see the episode when he and James Spader went fishing in Canada and ended up appearing in court to help out in an environmental case? Spader was telling him about the endangered fish that was the key issue: "They attach themselves to larger fish like parasites, for a free ride and leftover food. The local people call them 'cling-ons.' " Shatner put on this absolutely wonderful bemused expression, looked around in confusion and repeated, ".... cling-ons?..." When they write stuff like that for a guy it is really not easy to do it well, but it came off perfectly.

That said, I have no enmity toward Shatner but I really didn't like the original Star Trek whereas TNG is one of my three all-time favorite shows, with Babylon Five and Farscape. I'm a sci-fi reader and although the TNG dialog sometimes made me grimace, (using the phrase, "it looks like some sort of [insert name of ordinary 20th century object], Captain" ever again should be a capital offense) the very storytelling in the original series seemed like it deliberately contained everything we fans hate about sci-fi when rendered into visual media--all in every episode.

But also, Stewart is a more versatile and talented performer and a serious artist. He put on several one-man shows when we lived in L.A. and they were just stunning. It's really a challenge for a Brit to make a California audience laugh by telling anecdotes about his days with the Royal Shakespeare Company, but he did it.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Anyone see the old animated series? It has the voices of all the original cast members! It's actually very good.

21. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I saw an episode where they ended up somewhere where everything was in reverse, white space and blacks stars. But it was voiced by the original cast? Heh.

22. Craven Moorehead Registered Senior Member

Shatner. Hands down.

23. Sandoz Girl Named Sandoz Registered Senior Member

Picard, no question about it.

He's a true leader: unassuming, calm, cultured, but can also be a fearsome warrior/fighter if need be.

Also, he's damn sexy.