Greatest I Am's anti-religion thread

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by Greatest I am, May 3, 2017.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Then report me with a request for a ban, you humourless git.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Okay... seriously, not OK exchemist. I missed it earlier, but saying you hope someone has a stroke is not acceptable.

I would advise to let the matter drop at this point...

Yazata likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

So you think I have to support the notion of Noa's flodd or that God sent his son to die. How droll.

Now you are just resorting to lies.

??

Yet that is all you spew.

Regards
    DL

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Good pont... an at least you an me have real religions -- an i thank my morality is superior to his... hell... i thank my morality is as good as or superior to anybodies ive ever herd of... an im sure that you thank you're morality is superior to GIa also... eh... so whare does he get off wit the atitude that he has superior morals

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes YES... proof is in the puddin... you are as kind as you are fair an just... much like in Holey-Bible stories.!!!

An much like the Jesus-God-myth attained... the humility you just displayed is alredy legendary.!!!

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

It is a defining feature among religious extremists. "Only I see the golden path! Everyone else is a clueless, evil heretic, part of the Great Satan."

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes... thats why my religion beleives that our morals are superior to none.!!!

11. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

True, but unlike our friend, I show the immorality that he has and follows while he runs from showing me mine.

Those who do not discus and debate honestly, our friend, are showing just what they are.

Regards
    DL

Yet what you show is superior to our mutual friends.

Regards
    DL

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

13. Yazata Valued Senior Member

That only sounds blasphemous to Christian ears.

I believe that I'm morally superior to the Old Testament God and I don't think that it's appropriate for people to worship their moral inferiors as "Lord". That's non-negotiable. Assuming that I believed in that being's existence, which I don't.

Regarding Jesus, he may have been an extraordinary moral sage, judging from the gospels. But his continuing adherence to the Judaism of his time created serious problems for the consistency of his message.

I think that it might help to understand where GIA is coming from if we read him as a modern-day proponent of ancient Marcionism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcionism

This was an early Christian 'heresy' that accepted Jesus, but rejected the God of the Old Testament. The idea was that the OT God was really the devil, and this fallen world really was something very much like hell, but the real higher God, the God of Love as opposed to the god of death and hate, took pity on us and out of compassion sent down Jesus to this awful place to aid us.

Understanding what those three passages mean and what they are asking us to do will require a lot of theological work. What does "believe in him" mean? (I believe that a human being, an itinerant preacher named Jesus, probably existed.) But I don't acknowledge him as "Lord" (whatever that means) or believe that he rose from the dead. (That belief is at least as unlikely as any of MR's beliefs in my opinion.) And I'm not sure what being "saved through faith" means. 'Saved' from what? And what exactly is 'faith'? (I have expressed my ideas on that in the other thread.)

All in all, I think that the result of unpacking these three little sentences will be to reveal that a great deal is being demanded of us.

What other choice do we have as human beings? The alternative would seem to be to adopt some heavenly 'Fuhrer Prinzep' and believe that everything God says is good simply because he says it.

That's essentially the Euthyphro dilemma from Plato: Do the gods favor x because x is good, or is x "good" because the gods favor it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma

Given that God is strangely silent, choosing the latter horn of the dilemma would put a tremendous amount of power into the hands of those humans who purport to be God's mouthpieces. (That's another one of GIA's points I think.)

When discussions are going nowhere and are becoming unnecessarily heated, stepping away from them is often the best thing to do.

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Bestin that frinds morals is a low bar to hurdle

Greatest I am likes this.
  15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Gonna stop right there - if you can say with a straight face that you think a person can honestly believe that they are morally superior to everyone else, and that is somehow only blasphemous to Christians... then I think I know a few dozen folks of assorted Pagan sects, as well as a number of Atheists, that would be shocked to learn they must suddenly have become Christian...

*shrug* you are, of course, entitled to your opinion, just as others are entitled to dismiss it

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Your immorality springs from your rabid intolerance and hatred of anyone who does not follow your religion.

Kittamaru likes this.
  17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I thought starting threads about members was a bannable offense.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

So you want to ban GIA for starting threads proclaiming how great he is, then? I'm not sure I follow...

19. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I was replying to this:

"2) Your claim that you are equal or even above Jesus Christ:"

That doesn't imply that somebody thinks that they are morally superior to everyone else, unless one already believes that Jesus Christ is morally superior to everyone else. I don't accept that hidden premise.

I consider myself the equal of Jesus in our essential humanity. (I don't believe that Jesus was anything other than a human being. Certainly not a god.) I clearly have better understanding of the history of natural science and some areas of philosophy than Jesus. And unlike Jesus, I'm not committed to having to defend the truth of Old Testament tradition, including nasty things like 1 Samuel 15 that create huge consistency problems for his otherwise extraordinary ethical message.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ok, fair enough then - I thought you were lumping point 1 in with it as well.

21. gmilam Valued Senior Member

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/occult

Sounds like most religions fall under the heading of "occult". At least any with a supernatural component do. That would include the three major Abrahamic religions.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Interestingly enough, that would put it at odds with Brittanica's explanation:
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/occultism
    particularly:

23. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Good pont but i dont thank that applies to mods... an besides... i dont want Kitta baned... he unintentionally adds comedy to the forum