Great Dane is 7ft long, weighs 270 Lbs. and is the world's biggest dog

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cosmictraveler, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

referencing the op pic......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

sense of depth and space my ass
    it is completely exaggerated like you said

yes
    splayed with cheese
    no wonder she refuses to post pics now

ahh, parmalee
    the worthiest addition to sci
    an intellect to die for

cosmic?
    he has a free pass

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kira Valued Senior Member

The photo is most likely not photoshopped, but certainly taken from a specific angel to make the dog (which is already the biggest dog) to look even bigger. I took several screenshots of George the Great Dane from youtube (from an Oprah show), and put them side by side with the photo from the OP. You can click the image below to get the youtube video so you can get a more real perspective of how big it is.

My conclusion: the dog is extremely big and long, the photo in the OP is not photoshopped, but it is somewhat manipulative.

The youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYCSK6SBLcQ

What I meant by manipulative is like this photo trick:

If you see it from side, the dog's head must be somewhat more forward than its owner. Then, when you took the shot from down, it looks much more taller than its "background".

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

so despite the photographer writing in with a description of methodology, you hold out the possibility that she is lying?

cmon, little girl
    some skepticism is good but to the point of crackpottery?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kira Valued Senior Member

I mean, you can make something look taller in a photo without photoshopping it, like an example I gave in my previous post (I edited my post above by adding a photo of a girl in front of a parthenon). Of course it is possible that the photo is further photoshopped.

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Oh you kids. Now where did I leave my can of dork repellent...

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Even on Oprah, it was sitting on a sofa.
    Probably part of its contract.

Must have sofa to plant backside on.
    Must have bowl of dog treats.
    Must have surgeon and resuscitation team on hand.

He's a Prima Dogga.

That guy that's with him.
    Has an unusually small head.
    Makes dog's head look huge.
    How'd he manage that?

Does he boil his own head?

10. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

They also made opra lose 300 pounds again just to make the dog look biggger.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Heh Heh.
    Otherwise he'd have looked like a Chihuahua.

She probably ate his biscuits.

George:
    Eat one more of my dog treats and I'm off this set Lady.

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Well, my 90+ pound American Field Yellow Labrador Retriever requires a daily 10 mile run (sometimes she lets me get away with less if I play real hard with her and let her swim a bunch). That big boy would want more play time, but would likely let me off with fewer miles. I know because I have been more muscled in the past when I did the weight gym instead of running with my dog.

When you fall in love with a dog, you give them what they need to be happy, so I would do it to keep him happy. He too is beautiful, but he is a dog of action - not a model. That is why he looks the way he does - posing is not where he is at. That's all.

If he were my dog, I would be more muscular than I am now.

Frag made a boo - boo, that's all. No need to do anything about that as he already feels silly enough for the mistake. Let it roll, please.

13. Gustav Banned Banned

no
    we are not going back to square one

frag
    you will do this for us
    thanks

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

There are cow breeds with double muscle as well:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Blue

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_muscling

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I also don't think that dog is happy. He definitely looks distressed to me.

16. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

@ spud emperor:
    I call my one dog ADHDog. That's about it. Not dumb but no attention span whatsoever.

That double muscled dog, to me, looks like he's thinking "Who is this guy with this thing that makes clicky noises in their hand? Why are they looking at me so much? Mom, are you sure this is ok? He's creeping me out."

17. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

ADHDog, I love it, it's so you.

One day I'm gonna get one of those sphinx cats (the ones with no fur) for the sole reason of naming it the shinxster.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

There was a TV series I liked where the dog was called JD.

It meant "Just Dog"

19. Rav Valued Senior Member

Possibly a little tired. When I first saw pictures of that dog I am positive that they were attached to an article that mentioned that animals with this disorder become tired very quickly because their normal sized hearts struggle to pump enough blood to keep all that muscle happy.

20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

There's years of pain in that face.
    The picture upsets me.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We used to breed several species of parrots and we stopped because we realized we were selling parrots to people who should not have parrots. Everybody loves them when they're googly babies (<5yr) and usually when they're adolescents (6-10yr) but when they become adults they're more than most people can handle, and you just can't explain that to them. You tell them about the African Grey who figured out how to take her cage apart from the inside, about the people who came home and found their grand piano flat on the floor with all four legs chewed off, about the pair of macaws who chewed through the drywall inside a closet, made a nest and laid eggs and the people only realized it when they heard the babies peeping, and they just shrug it off as an exaggeration. But worst of all, you realize that today half of married couples don't stay together long enough to raise their own children, and you wonder when that happens what's going to happen to the bird that could easily outlive them?
    Our neighbor was a really nice guy with a sweet Amazon. And he got some horrible cancer. He was petrified at the thought of his parents, who hated the bird, being in charge of it when he died. So Mrs. Fraggle, mother to the entire human race, took the bird home. Little did she know that the bird only likes male humans and hates females. (As most of you know I'm 3,000 miles away because of my job.) Feeding him, cleaning his cage, etc., were just hellish experiences for both of them. And she could never bring him out to sit on her shoulder like the other birds so he was pretty sad. Every time a handyman came over the bird went nuts. Finally, three exhausting years later, a plumber showed up who really liked the bird, had experience with them and knew how to care for him, and took him home.
    Most dogs handle it okay. Parrots, not so much if they're full grown (10yr+). They'll develop neurotic habits like plucking all their feathers out.
    A Lhasa Apso. They became very popular in the 1960s when Americans started living alone in small apartments and leaving them alone for hours at a time. They are one of the few breeds who are both not very social and not very active. They were bred to be temple watchdogs so they'll sit on the sofa all day listening for burglars. Mine go out, run two laps around this postage stamp-size townhouse yard, then come in and watch TV all night.
    I see the funny side of everything. It's the only way to survive in the modern world. Especially this place.

I certainly appreciate your graciousness and generosity.
    Oh it's not just me. I think "Gustav" may the Basque or Inuit word for "one who pushes people's buttons." I'll let someone else be the one to ban him next time.
    The dog really is in Guinness.
    Hey now that's off topic. If you're going to start talking about Dork Matter that belongs on the Cosmology subforum.

23. wise acre Registered Senior Member

Fraggle: Are you serious?

Let's look at his 'insult'.

He besmirches photos of huge dogs. If he is incorrect about his assertion about photos of huge dogs or if one simply feels he needs to support this assertion, he could be challenged to provide support for his assertion.

He says the photo looks odd. Indicates the background.

He then asks if others are reacting the same way.

Then he wonders if he hasn't gotten the joke. LIke maybe he is taking the OP seriously when others realize it is meant to be funny.

I took this to mean he thought Cosmic was either playing around or passing on the playing around of other people.

AND HE WASN'T EVEN SURE. He asked for help in determining if his reactions were correct.

CK did not insult or mention Cosmic as far as I can tell. It seemed like he was trying to determine if this odd looking photo and article was part of a JOKE.

You enter the fray and show at least a similar level of misunderstanding of the OP, assuming a photo of Cosmic was now on the thread.

You then accuse CK of insulting Cosmic. A radically uncharitable misinterpretation and an accusation in itself. It seemed to me he was confused by the OP, wondered if it was a joke that others were getting. It is not clear at all that he even thinks that Cosmic is trying to fool anyone. He could just as easily have thought that Cosmic was falling for a hoax. He never accused Cosmic of anything.

He expressed uncertainty, asked for feedback from others, explained why he was tending in one direction. Then in a second post expressed more certainty.

Note: the background is odd. As a photographer my first reaction is that the lens was possibly wide angle, and certainly the angle was chosen to distort the view of the dog. IOW there was good foundation for skepticism.

On the other hand you accused CK of something he did not do: insult Cosmic. At the very least some questioning was necessary before assuming his reactions were meant as insults.

I think you broke the rules you thought CK did, partly driven to this reaction due to your incorrect interpretation of the OP.

In a forum called free thoughts no less. CK expressed thoughts about a photo and none about Cosmic.

Sure, there could be situations where such thoughts about someone's evidence of something could be an insult, but frankly it reads more like he thinks this is maybe a joke not a hoax or some serious attempt to deceive. And nowhere is it clear he thought Cosmic was the deceiver.

If in Free Thoughts someone presented a photoshopped image of a huge fish - and it turned out to a joke, but one that effectively fooled some people - would that be immoral? Or could it be a joke, playing around with people in a FORUM CLEARLY DESIGNATED FOR NOT SO SERIOUS TOPICS AND LESS RIGOROUS EXPECTATIONS and a good deal of playing around.

You needed to do more research into CK's possible insult before insulting him, let alone banning him.

I suggest you ban yourself for one day as a gesture of good faith and to be consistent with your own criteria for banning.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011