Gravity waves detected for the first time ever

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jan 12, 2016.

1. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

I'm of the opinion you are quoting the wrong post/poster.

danshawen likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sorry matey....I've done that before...will rectify
    OK, rectified rpenner: again, apologies for that mishap.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

I thought it was rather peculiar that the gravitational waves could no longer be detected after the two black holes converged into one single black hole. This would mean that gravitational waves could not escape a black hole. Then the thought occurred to me that the same effect detected by Ligo could be theoretically possible, even though gravitational waves did not exist, assuming the experiment went exactly how it was supposed to. For instance, one of the black holes could end up on the opposite side of the other black hole or in a position where the gravitational forces of the two black holes cancel each other out in between them. Then while these two black holes orbit around each other very rapidly, there could be short instances where there would be more or less of a gravitational force pulling on the Earth. If this occurred, then the difference in gravitational forces could pull on both beams, so one beam becomes slightly curved and the other beam is unaffected from traveling in a direction directly towards or away from the black hole, maintaining the same constant speed of light.

To me, it seems reasonable that gravitational waves wouldn't even be necessary in order for this type of experiment to even be able to detect them. The difference in the gravitational pull on the two beams alone could also do the same trick.

danshawen likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Get this: In General Relativity . . ."The freedom to move the origin of a coordinate system constitutes a symmetry of nature. Actually there are three related symmetries: all the laws of nature remain invariant when the coordinate system is transformed by translation, by rotation, or by mirror reflection. It is vital to note, however that the symmetries are only global ones." . . . hence not that interesting by themselves.
    . . .
    "In a system [such as the surface of the earth], a local coordinate transformation can readily be imagined." . . . this amounts to fixing height in the system to be vertical distance above the ground, rather that above mean sea level, so a plane has to accelerate up and down according to local differences in the system of coordinates.
    "As in electrodynamics, local symmetry can be restored only by adding a new field to the theory; in general relativity the field is of course ... gravitation."

Now we've just detected some of the quanta of this field, and these being wavelike should be able to interfere with each other. When might we detect gravitational wave interference, you think? Or generate some g-waves and diffract them somehow? (heh)

--quoted text: G t'Hooft

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    danshawen likes this.
  8. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh look, I discovered another example of the effects of gravitational waves... (sarcasm)

danshawen likes this.
  9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The claim that not all reputable scientists were in agreement on the issue of gravitational wave confirmation, as well as that confirmation of BH's is still a baseless claim: After much prodding, no example is yet forthcoming. [Surely there must be at least one!] In fact the only "questionable" aspect of gravitational waves and BH's, has been from forums such as this.

and the many Tom's Dick's and Harry's which they seem to attract.......
    Here is another list of reputable scientists, singing the praises of possibly the greatest discovery and confirmation of 20th/21st century cosmology......
    https://theconversation.com/gravitational-waves-discovered-top-scientists-respond-53956

10. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

There are so many scientific discoveries coming out lately; it is hard to know what is fact or fiction anymore. I use to say, "The only thing you truly know is what you don't know", but I don't think I even know that anymore. What where they waiting all this time for anyways? Why is 2016 the only year for major breakthroughs in experimental scientific discoveries? It had already been so long (most of life or longer) that most of these discoveries have not been made, since they started looking for them. For me, it was so long in fact, that I had already accepted that those experiments were a failure. I blame it on hyperthreading, lol. It is known to cause random errors, and I bet they all use Intel i7 processors in their computers. It can cause information to go out of sync, and they didn't have that in all the years all these experiments failed.

danshawen likes this.
  11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/I..._gamma_rays_from_merging_black_holes_999.html

INTEGRAL sets limits on gamma rays from merging black holesby Staff WritersParis (ESA) Apr 01, 2016

Following the discovery of gravitational waves from the merging of two black holes, ESA's INTEGRAL satellite has revealed no simultaneous gamma rays, just as models predict. On 14 September, the terrestrial Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) detected gravitational waves - fluctuations in the fabric of spacetime - produced by a pair of black holes as they spiralled towards each other before merging. The signal lasted less than half a second.

The discovery was the first direct observation of gravitational waves, predicted by Albert Einstein a century ago.

Two days after the detection, the LIGO team alerted a number of ground- and space-based astronomical facilities to look for a possible counterpart to the source of gravitational waves. The nature of the source was unclear at the time, and it was hoped that follow-up observations across the electromagnetic spectrum might provide valuable information about the culprit.

extract:
    This detection sparked a bounty of theoretical investigations, proposing possible scenarios in which two merging black holes of stellar mass could indeed have released gamma rays along with the gravitational waves.

However, if this gamma-ray flare had had a cosmic origin, either linked to the LIGO gravitational wave source or to any other astrophysical phenomenon in the Universe, it should have been detected by INTEGRAL as well. The absence of any such detection by both instruments on INTEGRAL suggests that the measurement from Fermi could be unrelated to the gravitational wave detection.

"This result highlights the importance of synergies between scientists and observing facilities worldwide in the quest for as many cosmic messengers as possible, from the recently-detected gravitational waves to particles and light across the spectrum," says Erik Kuulkers, INTEGRAL Project Scientist at ESA.

12. CptBork Valued Senior Member

No joke bro, 2 more months and I was totally going to give up on them too. Ok I really was joking, 3 months.

None of these recent experiments were able to achieve a sufficient precision to guarantee detections until recently, which is why they weren't finding anything until recently and why the lack of success wasn't encouraging scientists to give up. It takes the technology time to catch up to the science, and asking how long it's going to take is like asking how long it will be until we get to have our flying cars (and not just some mini Harrier jets on Michelin tires).

danshawen likes this.
  13. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

Exactly, and how long is it going to be before two more black holes end up converging into each other? All it would take is one fluke after all that time, and that is a long a time to end up having a fluke. No one will be able to verify this experiment because of this. I don't know if I am ready to start saying that, "yes, gravitational waves can alter the measured speed of light". That is basically what they are claiming. Then scientist always measuring the constant speed of light is practically what all modern physics is based on... I think it leaves open a lot of questions about the fundamentals of science. So far, I have not been able to get a clear answer to this problem.

14. JJM Registered Senior Member

Shouldn't they be 'flooded' with more direct measurements?

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well put and factually sound, despite our usual online "experts"

16. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

a sure sign a thread has been overtaken by cranks, and thus not worth the time, is when you see it has blown out to 27 pages.

dumbest man on earth likes this.
  17. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The more confirmation and certainty a theory gains [in this case GR] the more those with religious and other agendas, along with our professional "would be's if they could be's but actually are never was's", see the need to troll and fabricate to try and maintain some mythical semblance of credibility in their alternative nonsense.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not at all: The speed of light always remains as "c" in any local FoR.
    I would though imagine some gravitational red and/or blue shift within any gravitational waves....
    The speed of light remains constant and no changes are evidenced or envisaged. The speed of gravitational radiation/waves is essentially the same afaik.

20. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

---

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And the senseless trolling continues.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

deleted double post

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

deleted triple post!