Gravity is only a theory

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Roman, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valich Registered Senior Member

What in physics we call the "theory of gravity" goes a long way toward explaining the universe and physical phenomena around us. To say that, "It is simply a religious belief that it is "universal" is just ridiculous looney-tune hooplaa. And then to further add that, "the sun can be perfectly explained if the sun has a net positive charge and the planets have a net negative charge, since opposite charges attract and the force is an inverse-square law," is like saying that we should treat planets and stars like atoms that attract each other to form covalent and ionic bonds into molecular compounds, which you know does not happen. That's just pure nonsense. So what's the point of the post? Just to get unscientific responses from whatever anybody wants to throw in the melting pot of bunk? There's not one scientific-based post that's been posted on this thread: just a free-for-all, anything goes, cess pool of accumulated garbage.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Apparently not.

Q.E.D.

It's a joke, a parody of the disclaimers the "Intelligent Design" crowd insists be added to biology texts about "evolution being only a theory".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sauna Banned Banned

As if such a rant would convince in terms of rational analysis?

Pot kettle black.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You can't even see gravity!

8. C6H Anion Prophecy Registered Member

9. Roman Banned Banned

"They" (it was a he, actually) picked on gravity because it is the most easily demonstratable and widely accepted theory of how part of the universe functions. And it always works. Dropped objects always fall down.

The parody arises because only a moron would make such criticisms against a theory that has unbelievable mountains of evidence for it, is so widely accepted, and so readily appearant.

10. JesseLeigh Registered Member

G'morning!

You MUST be young! :roflmao: - Jesse.

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

JesseLeigh welcome to sciforums. Here are a couple of observations you might like to consider.
    1. Reactivating very old threads without a good reason is frowned on by the more sober members of the forum. This one last saw the light of day in 2006.
    2. Posting in threads without having understood the content is frowned on by the more sober members of the forum and some that are pissed as two rats in a brewery vat.
    3. Roman is not - as far as I know - especially young. He has posted a satirical attack on creationist objections to evolution. This seems to have gone completely past your head.

You must be very young.

12. JesseLeigh Registered Member

G'morning Ophiolite!

Thank you for the welcome.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I would expect the more sober members of this forum to have, as part of their sobriety, a discernible sense of humor. I thought the statement was hilarious, having been a victim of old Mr. G. for almost 53 years now.

As for resurrecting old threads, I wasn't aware I had done that, but sincerely doubt that anyone is discussing anything new here. On any forum (I own one myself and have for circa a decade), the carousel goes round and round as there are only so many subjects to discuss. It's good to redress them from time to time since our viewpoints often change (with time and maturity). Then there's the matter of what we do and don't retain about any given subject, and the influx of new members who, perhaps, haven't had a chance to spend a couple of years in our archives, which are extensive.

I like this forum, it's less caustic than most, and the people in general are amiable.

You'll have to excuse me, I must run, I seem to have misplaced one of my bottles of Johnny Walker!

Shalom Aleichem - Jesse. (Who doesn't smoke, drink, or... well, I have a license for that.

)

13. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Don't worry Jesse! I'll tell the truth! There is no gravity! It's all a lie. At any moment the rabbit overlords will turn it off and we'll all fling off into space. You just wait! I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!!! MWAHAHAHAHA

ahem. welcome, by the way.

14. Yorda Registered Senior Member

Evolution is just a theory, but gravity is not. Gravity is a fact that everyone can experience and study.

Some things about gravity could be called theories, like the inverse-square law and its universality. But there's a difference between this kind of theories and the theory of evolution. Some theories are better and have more evidence than others. There isn't so much evidence for macroevolution, and even less for the cosmic evolution theory (Big Bang).

Many things about gravity might turn out to be false when it is unified with electromagnetism. There are several things in the universe that neither Newton's or Einstein's theories can't explain, especially if the Big Bang is not true.

15. JesseLeigh Registered Member

A grave matter indeed!

Evening!

I knew gravity wasn't kidding when my boobs no longer sat up straight and behaved themselves. Now that I have to roll 'em up and tuck 'em in - I'm not on speaking terms with gravity. In fact, I have decidedly uncharitable thoughts about the whole sagging business. Gravity... grave... d'you think there's some connection?

- Jesse.

16. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Hmmmm....Indeed.

My guess is the technology is too powerful for us common folk! We had better just let the rich keep it for "our own" protection!

17. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Lol, thats the best thing about creationism I have read in quite some time. Btw, WHY ARE THERE 2 Tides [opposite sides]? I really dont know. Can some1 explain.

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Self sustaining resonant vibration from Noah's flood.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Ah yes. I remember 2008. That was a year...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.