Gravity and Relativity

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Que, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Que Registered Member

Here's a corn-fusing idea.

As I understand it, the faster you travel the slower the clock, hence the slower one ages.

Also, the stronger the gravity, the slower the clock and the slower one ages..

Since ol' SOLS gravity is much stronger than Earths. Is it possible that even though the sun developed first, that the Sun is actually Younger than the Earth.. (Due to gravity?)

Sean

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Whoa, Que!

I think what you're referring to is the idea that as you approach the speed of light, time approaches zero and mass approaches infinite.

If that's the case:

1) Gravity isn't part of the equation;

2) As far as you are concerned, the clock is still doing it's thing;

3) Both the Sun and the solar system are moving through, and with, the Milky Way (our galaxy) together;

4) Therefore: Everything has pretty much aged together ... except you!

For example: You take off on a round trip, approach the speed of light, and return one year (by your clock) later and discover that you've been gone one hundred and twenty three years Earth time! Bummer ... everyone you knew have long since passed away.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

Que, you are totally right about the slowing down effect.
    It is experamentally prooven!!!!
    Don't ask me the details, i've trying to understand it for a long time, but I can't get it.....

I want you to know that there are already to threads about this subject: Two in Frontier physics, http://www.sciforums.com/t3228/s/thread.html and http://www.sciforums.com/t3194/s/thread.html

That is an illusion, the effect isn't noticable in the vicinity of such 'small' masses.
    Only in comparison with interstellarplaces and the sun, maybe it is noticable.
    BTW, earth is also influenced by the mass of the sun, so our time slows down too because of the sun's gravity.

Enjoy the other threads!!!!
    -KneD-

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

KneD ...

Re. your post:
    Shouldn't you have pointed out that is only relative to the 'outside' observer. The person traveling with the clock doesn't experience it.

It is only when the person traveling with the clock 'returns' and compares 'their time' with the 'time of those who did not make the 'trip' does s/he realize that for her/him time had slowed.

Or am I missing something?

8. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

That's right

The person in the interstellar place won't think like "hmmmm, what a long day". But indeed when he returns to earth, he will notice that our time went much 'faster'.
    I think this is the same as saying that time slows down in outer space (in comparison to our time offcourse).

(offcourse 'faster' is a wrong name, because it says something about the time, I think the best we can say is that 'more time went by')