Gravity and falling objects

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Magical Realist, Apr 29, 2015.

1. zgmc Registered Senior Member

First of 6 parts. Feynman comes in at about the 6 minute mark.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Agreed. Best to get the Newtonian picture straight first and only then move on to Einstein.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

The force of gravity is the weakest of the 4 fundamental forces of nature. Particles would be held together mostly by the strong force. The force of gravity really doesn't play a significant role on the quantum scale. Also, asteroids can be torn apart, because the force of gravity can pull harder on part of the object than another part, like what happened to the impact that hit Jupiter several years ago...

You could try a different experiment. Get a dumbbell and lift it. Then add some more weights to it. Lift it again. It will be harder to lift the second time. It would also take more force to lift it by adding more weights...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. LaurieAG Registered Senior Member

8. Cheezle Hab SoSlI' Quch! Registered Senior Member

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

A couple of unimportant, but I hope interesting comments on Post 21 video from a guy who spent 5 years at Cornell:

The opening bell music is the alma mater*, from the Library tower's top which officially begins:
    Far above Cayuga's waters,
    With its waves of blue,
    Stands our noble Alma Mater,
    Glorious to view. ...

But there is an un-official version that begins:
    Far above Cayuga's waters,
    There's an awful smell,
    Some say it Cayuga's waters,
    But I say its Cornell ...

Now to get more to gravity:
    The lib tower is tall with a square spiral stairway to the top.
    Years before I was there, rumor had it that known jester
    lead a cow to up to the top in the middle of the night.
    Then tied the Cow's lead rope to the clapper of a bell.
    That bell rang all night as cow struggled to get free.
    But when it was, it would not walk down the step stairs.
    It got down, thanks to gravity, but in separated pieces.
    - - - - - - -
    * Cornell's beautiful Alma Mater is the best known in the world - only one in a famed list of 500 best known songs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  10. JJM Registered Senior Member

If it has a +-mc^2 density(a little bit more and or a little bit less), then it has a gravity. No matter how fleeting a time even the Diracian action reaction has an amount of force-density-time so during the virtual particle oscillations a 'gravity'-'density' existent state would exist. Which implies a background g, different from compressed compression pressure density in the near term of mass/force/density/per volume area/gravity/ size, but may just be a natural state within resonance of extremely larger size property. i.e. Diracian. etc.

11. Little Bang Registered Member

Magical, here is an alternative that may help you. http://www.sciforums.com/threads/gravities-mechanism.145277/

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Your alternative hypothesis does not stand up to scrutiny and you were dishonest in the first place by posting it in science.
    The simple point of the matter is that Gravity increases an objects downward velocity at 9.81 m/s...... it accelerates everything at exactly the same rate.

By the same token gravity needs to pull harder on heavier objects than lighter objects to attract them both by similar amounts.
    On Earth though, we have air resistance affecting that.

13. Little Bang Registered Member

That was my very first visit to your forum.
    And my hypothesis doesn't do exactly that? Science's solution for gravity is the graviton? Wow.

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Hmmm, OK.
    No, wrong......the graviton is a hypothetical particle.

15. Little Bang Registered Member

And it is wrong for us commoners to come up with hypothetical ideas?

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not at all. As long as you remember that it is hypothetical, and as such will undergo scrutiny to see how this hypothetical fits in with known physical law and discoveries. The graviton though still hypothetical, does have some "reason" behind it.

17. Little Bang Registered Member

Paddoboy, you and I both know the graviton was created simply because they could not unite gravity with QM. We desperately need to rid our selves of this problem so why not at least consider the idea a little deeper?

18. brucep Valued Senior Member

It's clear YOU don't know much about any of this. Until you do you might find something better to do with your time.

19. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

No, but don't expect anyone to take them seriously. You have as much chance of guessing something new in physics as you do guessing a cure for cancer.

danshawen likes this.
  20. brucep Valued Senior Member

You're linking total bullshit, yours, as if it was science. It's not. For example time dilation has nothing to do with acceleration. It's relative velocity for the SR component. For an accelerating vehicle it's the change in instantaneous relative velocity during the acceleration. Since we can detect acceleration it confirms what's being accelerated is in motion.

21. Little Bang Registered Member

Your right brucep, since I'm not as smart as you I might as well use my time somewhere else but thank you for your brilliant and somewhat lost remarks.

22. danshawen Valued Senior Member

There isn't really anything wrong with "guessing" a cure for cancer.

In 1980 I fell victim to exposure to the same chemical (1,1, trichloroethane) which also resulted in an epidemic of cancers in Love Canal, New York, as the result of dumping 20,000 gallons of that chemical into a location where it seeped into the local water supply.

Here's a guess about how to cure cancer. Stop poisoning our environment with chemical waste. Then talk about guessing how to treat those who are unfortunate to become afflicted with cancer. In my case, that treatment cost me a spleen, a thyroid gland, and about 3/4 of what might have been a fuller life.

This is only a guess. Call my case anecdotal if you wish. My exposure was possibly more severe than most of those at Love Canal, but could be traced to the same basic cause, which is my own stupidity in handling that chemical that was compounded by that of my former employer's in terms of not providing the proper employee education on the dangers of using it. The case of Love Canal however, is a well documented medical case study in what caused those local cases of leukemias and Hodgkin's disease.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  23. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Dan your way-off topic...but this is Sciforums.com so who knows..
    That's prevention of some forms of cancer not cure.
    Are you saying you let LAYMEN make a guess about taking those parts out?
    Dan I'm NOT mocking you.

danshawen likes this.