Gravity and entropy

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Quantum Quack, May 29, 2004.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Can Gravity suffer entropy?

The question is probably more serious than it first appears to be.

If gravity suffers entropy then time also can suffer entropy I would think.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

Can you add 10 meters to 5 kilos?
    My point is. How do you apply something like entropy to gravity?

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It depends I guess on what gravity is deemed to be the product of.

If the universe suffers entropy in it's temperature for example this is achieved by what leading to "what" leading to "what" thus leading to gravity.

If gravity is a product of "mass" and Mass suffers entropy would this not extend to the gravity of that mass?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

What do u mean that temperature and mass "suffer entropy"?

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

as heat evens out so to would gravity.......I guess

9. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Heat doesn't even out, temperatures become equal because heat is exchanged when two objects with different temperatures are placed in thermal contact. This proces is such that entropy increases.

Gravity does not "flatten" out; gravitational systems cluster together in order to increase entropy.

Bye!

Crisp

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Entropy is measure which tells us something about the state of a system. A system in a given state has a fixed entropy.

Entropy is not a process; it is a state variable, like volume or temperature.

Gravity is not a system, so it cannot have an entropy, let alone "suffer" entropy.

Can you suffer volume, or mass, or colour?

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Can gravity suffer entropy?

Maybe I should have worded this a little more clearly.
    Can the strength or intensity of gravity "suffer" entropy?

As the entropy of a system occurrs would this not effect the strength of gravity between the objects of that system?

Another question related would be:

As the universe under-goes entropy does the intensity of the universes brightness ( light) diminish. ( Does the universe get darker?)

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

See my previous answer.

13. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Once again, entropy is not something which can be seperated from a system. A system, e.g. a planet, has a mass, a volume, and an entropy (amongst many other properties).

An increase in entropy is just like an increase in volume: something visibly needs to change to the system. Gravity can cause such a change in the system which can raise or lower the entropy. Hence, gravity does not undergo or suffer entropy, it can only cause changes to entropy (as can any other fundamental interaction).

Time to rephrase the question again.

14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

ok...let me try again

scenario ( abstraction)

we have a single system with one star and a relatively cooler planet.

They share a gravitational attraction to each other.

Over time the star cools and the panet heats up, eventually they both share the same temperature.

Has this change over time effected the gravitational attraction between them?

If so would this thermal entropy be considered as a cause for this change in attraction?

I hope that makes better sense

15. MacM Registered Senior Member

Quantum Quack,

You are being either phoo-phooed or ridiculed when infact your question is actually a valid one. You might find the following more helpful than the responses you have gotten here.

I can't pass the opportunity to point out the that description here is very much a parallel of a UniKEF Gravity description of the process.

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/jag8/tetra8.html

For comparative purposes only:

http://www.paygency.com/

Here are some additional links to the topic:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/entropy.html

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/black/

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0002065

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1126-6708/1999/05/009

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0953-8984/15/48/016

http://www.humanevol.com/doc/doc200309200123.html

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  16. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Not at all, the original question was phrased in an incomprehensible and scientifically incorrect way. Ofcourse _you_ perfectly understood what it was talking about

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Trolling.

Quite dubious content.

Trolling, again. Stop spamming this forum.

They all talk about entropy and gravitation, though not in the sense that Quantum Quack was asking.

Dubious content.

17. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

The gravitational interaction will change over time as the mass of the star decreases (energy radiated outwards is "burnt" mass).

If we neglect this effect, there is no fundamental influence of "entropy" and gravity (i.e. gravity does not depend on the amount of "entropy" of a planet). Basically this is because the mass of the system is not influenced by a change in entropy, and the gravitational interaction is defined only through an objects mass (when at sufficient distance

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

I have the impression you think too much of the idea of entropy, it is really just a property of a system, nothing which can "flow" or change interactions. You look at a system and you assign it an amount of entropy, just like you would give an object a mass.

Bye!

Crisp

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Crisp,
    Thanks for your response and yes I agree, my question(s) are poorly worded at times.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

MacM, thanks for the links, so many ...will take a while...

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Crisp,

I think what it is ultimately I am questioning is:

As the universe cools, I would surmise that the intensity of gravity within the universe will also change.

If the gravity changes and because of it's association with space time then is it possible that time could also change?

If time changes how would this be evidenced in observation.

Would 'c' get slower?

Would rotations of planets and orbits change?

Would the inertia of mass change?

etc etc

When I read of a future universe often entopy is mentioned. But I have never read anything about the ramifications on gravity thus space time and this is what I wish to explore here.

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

This says to me that as a star cools it's mass is unchanged.

Is this a correct interpretation?

22. MacM Registered Senior Member

Quantum Quack,

Posted by Crisp: “ Basically this is because the mass of the system is not influenced by a change in entropy, and the gravitational interaction is defined only through an objects mass ”

I'll not answer for Crisp but want to back peddal only a little. The question you asked has two answers depending on your view of gravity. They don't see gravity as an energy related process and hence entropy doesn't get into their thinking.

In my case I see gravity as a function of energy flow and any entropy would not only affect gravity and dimension but also time.

However, I am also convienced that the universe at large violates our man made view of energy transfer and entropy. It is as though the universe is a super-conductor and doesn't suffer entropy in that regard.

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It is unfortunate but I understand the thrust of James and Crisps arguement with regards to this, they are pointing out that entropy is the value of the product of "evening" and not a cause of "evening"

It is unfortunate because the question I am asking is not about correct word use but how grabity is effected by change in the dynamics of the universe shown to us as entropy amongst other things.

If I was a physicist who enjoyed his research and study I would enjoy toying with this question and explore how time can be effected by changes in the universal dynamic.

Unfortunately this is not the response and I accept this.

For example:

I ask the question:

What would be the possible causes if 'c' was found to reduce by say 10%?

given current attitudes I would probably get the response of "don't waste my time" which I find a little frustrating.

The question about the reduction in 'c' allows us to explore our understanding of space time in a way that gives us the ability to understand relativities strengths and weaknesses but most importantly it allows us to stretch our theoretical imaginations so that understanding of space time ( gravity
    ) is possible )

So mabe I shall ask this question:

What would be the cause of a reduction of 'c' by 10%?

In that the speed of light is found to have changed to be only 270,000 kmps in a vacuum and not what was 300000 kmps in a vacuum.

How would this event come to be? What would cause such a thing? What universal dynamics are involved?

And if we have any physics enthuisiasm in the readers maybe we can explore an answer.