Graviton

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by river, Jul 7, 2019.

1. river

Is not a proven particle that exists .

It is a theoretical particle .

Never the less in the Quantum , the particle , the graviton , moves away from the source .

In The micro and the macro of things .

Quantum is the arrangement of particles . Hence the nomenclature of the position of particles , by colour . Which fit together like a puzzle . Not the essence of the particles and waves themselves .

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    RainbowSingularity likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

What makes you assume this?

Study some Feynman diagrams of graviton interaction.

TabbyStar likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

... the missing piece that connects the mass with the field ... ?
    like a bridge connecting particle & wave ... ?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Re: the opening post

Is there a question? Something to discuss, perhaps?

TabbyStar likes this.
  8. TabbyStar Registered Member

Also, adding to your premise. My understanding is this theoretical particle would be massless and travel equal to c (in vacuum). Not, "instantaneously" like Newton presumed.

Sad (to me) that I read a detector the size of Jupiter would only detect 1 graviton (if it exists) every 10k years (I think it was 10k). Seems like we will need to just live with our current GR theory. Gravity is simply a result of matter bending/influencing spacetime.

9. river

Disagree , neither space or time has a physical quality .

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well said. GR's spacetime may not be physical, but it is still real according to GR. It can be bent, warped, twisted and as GR predicted 100 years ago, make waves! Spacetime is as real as any magnetic field is real.
    It is also the multi dimensional framework in which we locate events descibed by terms of spatial coordinates [length, breadth and height] and time. The concept of spacetime follows from the observation that the speed of light is invariant...it does not vary with the motion of the emitter or the observer. Intervals of space and time considered separately are not the same for all observers.

TabbyStar likes this.
  11. river

The speed of light varies with the density of the medium of which it enters ; water for example .