Graffiti

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Nashton, May 15, 2013.

1. Nashton Registered Member

If you were about to spray paint a wall, what would you say?

I think this is what I would write:
    proclaim Innocence, remain ignorant.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I would paint something like... "I hate graffiti!" Nothing trashes a neighborhood quite like graffiti does. Of course, those who do paint graffiti generally have very little to say. It's more like dogs pissin' on trees and marking their territory. I'd like to follow the little rats to their homes, where they live, and mark their walls. Graffiti is one of those things that gets me angry when I see it.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nashton Registered Member

I think there is side of graffiti you have yet to see. I was not talking about tagging, I was talking about street art and political graffiti.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/index1.html

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I'd paint a picture of a grain elevator.

One thing that's worse than graffiti is boring blank walls. Graffiti and/or murals should be mandatory, taxpayer-funded, if necessary.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

A mural is not a problem, providing the property owner has given permission. When we speak of graffiti, I think of all the pointless trash that shows up on my neighbor's fence or on the wall of the business down the street. I would prefer a blank wall over the trash that is spoiling my view. Still, I would love to express myself on the walls of those who vandalize the property of others.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I've seen both beauty in graffiti and shit. So I really can't enjoy the shit but the beauty seems OK to see. But that's like life in a way, we see the good and bad everyday.

10. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

I will write some jokes

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I deeply appreciate the profound emotional, social, familial and political problems/difficulties/gripes that graffiti painters generally have. My heart bleeds peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for them, really. The art supply store here has to keep a real sharp eye out for young men as they constantly shoplift paint to do graffiti with.

I see it all over the place - it is called "tags" and the act is called "tagging". As Bowser said:

From a psychological perspective that is precisely what they are doing. Yes, some of the painting is very high quality and shows great promise on the part of the painter....

....if he were acting in a responsible manner and not marring someone elses property.

There is a huge difference between "art" and "graffiti", beginning with the reason for doing it.

For every 1000 persons that posses what some of us refer to as "talent" in some domain, only one has the vision, perseverance, health and financial acumen to survive and succeed in a particular field. Rebellion against the man has always been in fashion and will always remain so.

Graffiti has been with us forever as well. There is no feeling quite like hiking into a wilderness to a historic site to take pictures of petroglyphs done thousands of years ago by a vanished culture and finding that some arrogant person has spray - painted illegible initials on it. I live in Detroit, I see it all of the time, graffiti, in general simply sucks.

You want to shoot people? Join the marines, they do that. You want to paint beautiful murals? Be an artist, they do that.....and get paid for it by the people who own the building.

12. Nashton Registered Member

I will agree that most graffiti is not aesthetically pleasing and is comprised mostly of people marking their street name.

What I am suggesting is that if you had a saying or piece of wisdom that pertains to life, politics etc., what would it be?

13. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I would never graffiti, but if i would

"I am me, and i am not you"

That says it all

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

What's "pointless" to you may be very pointy to somebody else. For me, the blank wall "spoils my view" more than most graffiti. If you want to stare at blank walls, you can do it at home.

15. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Be True and Kind To Yourself, you're all you have.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I can't see any benefit to it. It looks like crap to me. Worse yet, it generally happens without the permission of the property owner. Let the rats paint their own houses.

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

You don't have to paint your message on a wall. I once read a manifesto that was stapled to a telephone pole.

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

... and then there are always Internet forums available. Heh-heh-heh!

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

20. Nashton Registered Member

Destroy your love for your freedom.

21. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Again, others may see what you don't.

22. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

...and you may well get shot for destroying their property.

23. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

A good ass-whooping would suffice. Make them eat that spray can.