Google plans to deliver packages through self-driving trucks

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Plazma Inferno!, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Similar to Amazon planning to use drones for delivery services, Google wants to deliver packages through self-driving trucks.
    The company has been awarded a patent described as an "autonomous delivery platform" for delivery trucks. The self-driving trucks will be equipped with lockers which can be opened only with the access codes assigned to the customer or with credit cards. The trucks will drive away to other location to deliver once the packages are dispatched. The automated vehicle will drive to the customers address. Once after arriving, it will send an SMS alert with the access codes to the lockers.

http://www.futuretechhub.com/2016/02/google-wants-to-deliver-your-packages_10.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

I think this has better chances that Amazon's delivery drones. The trucks can carry more parcels, drive farther, and people are used to the idea that parcels are delivered with trucks.

The last point is important to widespread and quick acceptance of a new idea. From a "driver takes parcel out of truck for me" to "I take my parcel from the truck", it's just a small step and self-service has quite common in many other areas as well, so people know the idea and are used to this sort of step.

Looks like a very promising approach that can come real fairly soon.

Plazma Inferno! likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yazata Valued Senior Member

So the truck is just going to wait in front of a customer's residence until he or she gets home from work or wherever they are? That doesn't sound very efficient.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How do they open the gates to gated communities then how do they deliver anything to the doorstep when packages are inside the truck? Are there going to be robots that will take the packages up to the doorway and up the stairs?

8. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

Rent-bot?

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Over half of packages are being sent to office buildings which have elevators so how do they get those packages to where they are going?