Goofy is pissing me off

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by wesmorris, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Oh, and yeah, I generally care what people have to say, but I don't respond well when someone attempts to mandate my behavior. It just makes me want to do it more. I'm a responsible adult and maintain reponsibility for that which is actually important in life. One who labels "fuck" as a "bad word", IMO is just a lemming and has emotionally obligated him or her self to the rejection of those words upon their invocation rather than due to the meaning conveyed from the context in which they are presented.

IMO, apparent lack of such analysis on the personal level indicates a perspective that is prone to irrational bias. Thusly an area of significant argumentative weakness is likely exposed. In the search for truth, I've learned to attack "argumentative weakness" when I see it coming. Hence our conversation.

Sometimes I just let it go.. like right now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

'night

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

He (goofy) seems to me to have parochial sensibilities and little appreciation of some of the finer uses of language. These (especially the latter) would seem to be grevious faults in a moderator, but maybe hes doing the best he can.
    His prim, schoolmarmish behavior (agian just my perspective) make him look like an ass sometimes, at least to me, but maybe my expectations are too high.
    I havent been around much lately, so its possible the above criticisms might no longer apply. He might have grown into the job while I was away.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

greg have you actually read wesmorris' posts? do you think that if a person uses swear words he/she is a dumb stupid fuckwit? that's the most ignorant superioristic attitude i've seen. about your sudden ''quest'' to make sciforums a clean place, and that wesmorris ruins it, well he actually has good opinions on quite a few subjects. the forum was quite good for so long, so there's actually no need for a crusader like you to come and ''clean'' up this place.

gee man, which world do you live in where people don't use swear words if they're smart, and people use swear words to be ''cool''?:bugeye: don't talk out of your hat, crusader for moral righteousness. annoying pissoff pseudo superioristic moral uprighter gnats like you are the biggest problem in this world.

8. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

and hey, morlock, goofy is a pretty good moderator. each to his own, each person has different standards and different limits. heaven forbid greg man from becoming a mod.

9. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

and i am suprised that this thread hasn't yet been shut down. yay to the mods.

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

yeah no doubt... I'm surprised too..

Regardless, I honestly have nothing against Goofy, he actually seems like a nice guy, he just annoys me regarding the topic at hand. I don't contend that it speaks to his character. I just wanted to vent and am curious how others feel regarding the "confusing censorship" that Goofy seems to be applying to me. Further it just pisses me off that "F***" can be construed as a "bad word". I mean, FUCK.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I mostly agree. I do think he's a good guy with the best of intentions, but it also seems like he's got something uncomfortable buried deep in his ass.

12. spookz Banned Banned

greg trolls around looking for members to join his board. seems like he has raised his recruitment drive up a notch. what a fucktard

13. spookz Banned Banned

ahh i remember the time when brother morlock blasted goofy. what fun!.
    anyway, like morlock said about "expectations", lets work with what we have.
    the mods here are really not the "hands on" type. they do nothing to raise the bar here themselves but usually engage in negative type moderation (criticism and personality clashes)

btw if a mod complains about not having the time to deal with stuff, quit your mod position. i am sure that there are many here that have more time on their hands for sciforums. if you cannot introduce topics to discuss in your respective forums (raise the quality of posting), you should again quit cos you are probably stupid. also like hef said in another thread, be diplomatic.

14. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Spookz,

It is not a mods job to raise the level of discussion. Our job is to deal with trolls, member complaints, cross posting, off-topic posting, cuss words, and general maintenance. We do not have to post threads in our own forums to bring up the level of discussion. We do try to do that, but we don't have to.

Also, mods don't have to give you a reason for an edit. If you request one, then it will be sent. If we sent a PM to every single edit that we do everyday, then we wouldn't have time to do anything else.

It is a members job to raise the quality of posting. It is a members job to follow the rules. It is a members job to be respectful. This is a free site, you allowed to do as you please. But before you do anything, consult the TOS that you signed before you joined up.

Toodles.

Counsler Coffee

15. spookz Banned Banned

i recommend you and asguard stay out of site feedback. you only make matters worse and seem to delight in being assholes.

16. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

I take back what i've said. Seems cursing is allowed, my mistake.

17. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Cursing is not allowed. Listen to that line again. "at the discretion of individual moderators." Meaning that moderators decide what goes in their forums. Cursing is not allowed in scifi, you can say ass, but that's just about it.

This is me not being a mod right here:

Spookz, I choose to come to site feedback to answer questions here. Your current attempts to flame with me, and Asguard, will not work. Just because were mods, doesn't mean that I can't block you. Click. Can you guess what the clicking sound was?

18. spookz Banned Banned

silly boy. now you totally crack me up. blocking is the most asinine thing a mod can do

ps: click click click (what was that?)

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

What gets me is that people choose some words and decide that they're "bad". I just don't fucking get it eh?

What really peaves me is when someone tells me that my argument would be stronger if I didn't use "bad" words. WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? My argument sucks or it doesn't, my choice of language regarding the argument should have no bearing on its validity... of course unless you're just fucking SHALLOW and can't see past the words to the meaning... and in that case, WTF are you doing debating anyway?

Eh, I can't stand lemmings who demand that I behave like them. I don't give a fuck if they want to be ignorant dipshits, it's not my job to do what they do.

20. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

standards set by general society

Means that the more limited your vocabulary is the more retarded you sound.

Sure thats fine in your fantasy world where people don't judge. Presentation counts.

Maybe, but that doesn't make you some savior to our society. You big rebel you.

Need me to pass you a tissue? Something tells me you weren't hugged enough as a kid.

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Swearing can be creative and fun and sometimes you just need to say fuck.

This has the appearance of an educated statement, but the truth is of course that truly intelligence people strive to use simple vocabulary whenever possible. They even sometimes use the word fuck and are usually not particularly impressed with the appearance of intelligence.

edit: a fucking typo

Last edited: May 7, 2003
  22. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

Fuck off

hehe. sorry, i couldn't help but show support for wes' views. i can realate easily to what you had sid about typing what you think, and forgetting that your "typing", chnaging things from letter or email form to how they would come out verbally. I often wonder if the way i talk myselfmakes it harder to understand my posts when they are written. but as far as swearing goes it seems to go back and forth, some days it comes out more than others, andsome times there just doesn't seem to be anything else to explain exactly how i feeel, and exactly the way i want my thought to come acros. I dontt see anything wron with swearing in a post as long as there is a point to it, and its not excessive.

23. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Greg, presentation doesn't matter on a message board. If wes was writing a resume' and typing things like "I went to fucking ridgemont elementary in cuntass 1978" then yeah, that would be innapropriate.
    But in a place like this a logical human being should be able to stifle through a post and decipher its essence regardless of the words used between the points, and that is all that you need.
    I feel sorry for you if you drop a monacle everytime a curse word is used, you simply must stop being so horrified

people swear in real life so swearing here will only help the socially inadequate keep in touch with reality.
    Surely thats a good thing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.