Good router, plus Modem ?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Challenger78, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Thanks, Repo Man, I'm going to try the whole shebang again, with an ethernet connection to my computer and my laptop, An Ethernet connection worked with my fathers laptop, so it should work here.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

My problem is not an IP conflict. My problem is that my modem and wireless router aren't communicating effectively, even with bridge mode, and router DHCP. I have a ethernet connection to my router, and a ethernet connection from my desktop to my router. My modem is connected to my desktop with a USB connection.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Challenger,
    Tell me if this is what you are currently trying to debug:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm guessing in my little layout you are trying to set a network bridge to take the connection across from the Modem that's connected by USB through the desktop to your Ethernet connected Wireless router. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Your modem shouldn't be connected to your desktop at all.

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Precisely. Problem is , my wireless device is connected to the router, but not the internet.
    My desktop doesn't have a wireless adapter so I didn't disconnect it.

I apologise if you guys feel I've been dragging my feet on this.

9. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

You mean your desktop doesn't have an ethernet port?

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

No, my desktop doesn't have wireless card. Tried an ethernet connection with the router and the modem, couldn't even connect to the modem home page.

11. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

No, what I'm saying is why don't you connect the modem to the router via ethernet, the router to the PC via ethernet, and let the laptop connect wirelessly. Don't have any direct connection in between your PC and modem.

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Did that actually, I did an IPconfig after a restart. and it had nothing. i,e. " windows XP configuration". So either it's not detecting or theres something wrong with the modem.

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Okay, sounds to me that the problem is in your network bridging, you're actually lessening your network capability by attempting to Bridge through the Desktop I'm actually guessing that most of the problem is with it's configuration, not the router.

You see on your wireless router you should have 5 Ethernet ports. Four of them are meant for networking with and one is the WAN port. The WAN port is the one that should be connect to your Modem (or in your case to your computer to bridge)

However you won't be able to access your Configuration menu on the router from the WAN connection, this is a security reason. If you wanted to access this menu from the Desktop via the bridge side you would have to set the "remote administration" options on the router. This would allow you to connect into our router from the WAN side.

However having the desktop sit as a bridge between your modem and the router is messy, your IP range for the desktop and the adapter that's being used to connect to the router would be different from that of the network thats firewalled on the other side of the router.

Currently you aren't gaining any of the benefits of it's inbuilt firewall by attempting to run it bridged.

What you really need to consider doing is looking for an Ethernet cable for your Modem (There are some USB to Ethernet cables available, however if you are using a cable modem there should be a port for an Ethernet connection) If you can't get the cable I would suggest replacing your modem for one that outputs through an Ethernet cable.

TBH, you can achieve faster speeds through an Ethernet than a USB connected modem, so you'd actually be increasing your networks capacity.

So in short:
    =========
    • Your desktop should connect to one of the normal LAN ports on the router to be able to configure it, NOT THE WAN port.
    • Don't bother with attempting to Bridge your Modem connection, spend a little money on getting a conversion cable (or the proper cable) for your modem to make it ethernet capable and connect it to the WAN port on the router.

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Ok. I don't think I mentioned this earlier,(my bad). My modem is connected through its single Ethernet port to the WAN slot. the routher is connected through a LAN port to my desktop.

But thanks for your remote administration tip, I'll enable it both on my router and modem and see what happens.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Okay, if that's the case you should be able to communicate with the Router settings without the need to use the remote administration. (That's only for if you want to alter your settings from an external location)

You'll probably find that your LAN and your Wireless actually has two network ranges. (Like 192.168.2.# for one and 192.168.8.# for the other.)

I'd suggest trying the following addresses in your browser:
    Http://192.168.0.1
    Http://192.168.2.1
    Http://192.168.8.1

One of them is likely to connect to your router configuration page.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I was exploring my modem's connections, and I came upon 192.168.1.1, I pinged it, but i can't access it from my browsers or my laptop. Pinging it also worked through the modem tool.

17. Creeptology Registered Member

So now your modem connects to router, router to pc etc, am I right in thinking that? If so since the router is connected via the eth on a LAN port then don't enable remote admin. You might need name and pass to get into router via browser, usually this is name=admin pass=1234 or 0000 if it's still on factory settings. What brand/model router is it?

Also when you ipconfig it did you pass it the /all switch? ( IPCONFIG/ALL) Sorry if that seems like stupid question, just thought would check.

18. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Not entirely sure but at my parents home I think the modem's ip is 10.0.0.1 but the routers ip is 192.168.1.1

it could also be that the 192.168.1.1 ip is associated to a computer and that that is not the modem.

if you use windows
    ctrl+r->cmd->ipconfig
    the default gateway address is the modems address, if you don't have a router.

19. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

or you can do a tracert command to whatever website. The first ip that pops up is probably your modem.

20. Creeptology Registered Member

On a lot of setups 192.168.1.1 is assigned to the modem, the router is after this (mine is 192.168.1.254, most my friends have their modem on .1 too). Depends on your setup and brand whether it goes to 1 or after. Can manually assign but it's fiddling round when probably don't need too. Pass the ipconfig/all will show everything, does DHCP ip show up, that will be router in most cases. With model/brand can find out for sure.

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I've got my modem connected to my computer, and my router connected to my modem and my computer. Ipconfig all only showed the addresses for my modem. I might have been pinging an external site, but it didn't show up on my browser.

22. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

in that case like i said do a tracert command to some external website
    a tracert will give you all the ips your signal has to go through to get to the website

23. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

"ipconfig all" doesnt work you need to use "ipconfig /all"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.