Good news for Proof of E.T's

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by orions stargirl, Nov 7, 2006.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

Are you from another planet?

It's not my take on humanity that is important, but rather what I expect aliens to be like! Aliens, that are inquisitive enough to look for other life forms, as the woowoos claim is happening. Now, if they can construct such devices to locate inhabited planets, then travel the huge distances across space to those planets, what is there motivation? Observation? Interaction?

What else is there? Just because they are aliens does not mean there is something else.

If aliens want to observe, they are failing, despite their technology, to remain undected, because they are seen by woowoos. If they want to interact, they should pick some more credible people that woowoos to interact with.

Dont try and cop out sating we cannot understand their motivations, that is no better than 'god moves in mysterious ways', and turns the subject into a religion, abstracting it from pseudoscience.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Domination and enslavement: the usual outcome when a dominant civilisation meets an inferior one. If they'd found us we'd probably know.

Unless, of course, they're above that kind of thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Yeah, of course—I neglected to complete the mocking of the 'intelligent' in Phlogistician's quote: (It's strange because I glanced at 'intelligent' just before hitting the Submit, and thought, "a bit weak, but what the hell, I can't be bothered.")
    It should have read as:

^ Well, I can certainly think of one reason why such intelligent and technologically advanced man might never get to understand ET motives: human modern morality.

But I fully agree: primitive grunting primates — excellent. However, (–and how can I say any of this here without setting the vicious yard dogs loose?) however, from the abduction accounts of different individuals, there seems to be two differing classes of abduction scenarios: the aggressive type of 'victims'—abductees being treated like third world, non-citizens (Travis Walton being basically dumped naked miles and miles away from home–but then again, he wasn't abducted from home, so they might not have known precisely where to return him); and another mysteriously gentle approach of abduction whereby a 'victim' feels like—and describe themselves as–an experiencer. The one complains about tests and scars, the other talks about interviews and flights.

That too, I'm prone to agree absolutely. But those from the Experiencer camp tend to describe stuff like 'protection'.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

lets pause for moment and reflect on what jumpercable says. perhaps an assist thru analogy and hoped for, good fit.

*prior to 9-11, i used to hang at van nuy airport, plane spotting (vintage on weekends)/ i had taken many a photo. the subsequent slideshows were an nightmare. i could not convince family of a very simple factual truth. the bombers were posing for me. they insisted it must have being doing something mundane and quite boring. like taking off, maybe even landing. some had the temerity to suggest they were flying! whatever! woo woos!

*nicole kidman flies from beverly hills to melbourne for a photo shoot, hundreds of miles away. nicole baby, i know you are cheating on me. a big hollywood movie star would get the tard to come to her. it simply illogical to think otherwise. dirty slut

on to helio's response. allow me further license to tweak

"Argue that extraterrestrials would or wouldn't, should or shouldn't, can or can't behave in certain ways because such behavior would or wouldn't be logical. Base your notions of logic on how terrestrials would or wouldn't behave. Since terrestrials behave in all kinds of ways you can theorize whatever kind of behavior suits your arguments (dresin)"

this deal with ascribing all alleged et events as being one of necessity. eg: events follow a precise, rational and natural path, easily predicted. i mean, that is the hallmark of human activity yes?. are we not the epitome of logical and rational thought? of course. i have proof too. discount the following heading. it is merely weak posturing. the events presented? blatant and insidious falsehoods

Famous Blunders

a def------->A blunder is a spectacularly bad or embarrassing mistake—a bad decision with a disastrous result. This is a list of what are widely considered to be major, historically significant blunders.

*1941 - The Attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7 (December 8 in Japan standard time). Although the attack sunk or crippled numerous US Navy capital ships, many military historians consider the attack a long-term strategic blunder. For instance, the American aircraft carriers (a priority target) were absent, and the oil storage facilities and drydock naval repair yard (whose destruction could have crippled the Pacific Fleet's operating capacity) were untouched. Worst of all was the psychological effect: instead of discouraging the USA as intended, it enraged the American population.

*1972 – Five men working for Richard Nixon's Committee to Re-elect the President (CRP) burgled the Democratic National Committee Headquarters at the Watergate Hotel in Washington, D.C. to sabotage Democratic candidate George McGovern's chances against Nixon in the 1972 presidential election. The burglary, and Nixon's participation in the extensive cover-up attempt, led to jail terms for several of Nixon's associates, and eventually caused Nixon to resign rather than face impeachment proceedings. The Watergate Scandal was especially bizarre, as Nixon was far ahead of McGovern in the polls at the time of the break-in, and ended up winning the election in a landslide.

*# 2001 – Shares in Exodus, a bankrupt internet firm, jumped by 59,000% when a rogue trader accidentally bid $100 for its shares, at a time when its value was 17 cents.
    ( (more)

done? not by a long shot, kiddo

Mental Disorders in America

Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.1 When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people.2Even though mental disorders are widespread in the population, the main burden of illness is concentrated in a much smaller proportion — about 6 percent, or 1 in 17 — who suffer from a serious mental illness.1 In addition, mental disorders are the leading cause of disability in the U.S. and Canada for ages 15-44.3 Many people suffer from more than one mental disorder at a given time. Nearly half (45 percent) of those with any mental disorder meet criteria for 2 or more disorders, with severity strongly related to comorbidity.
    (eeek)

sure it is. please find the person responsible, present along with quote and i shall ridicule till the goddamn cows come home. do it. lots of fun to be had.

as for the question posed, allow me to present thed and his "super-intelligent shade of the colour blue"

Most skeptibunkers I've met across the Net are invariably graduates of Physics (as am I [1]) or a similar science. The first thing you learn in science is to lay aside pre-assumptions on how you think the Universe should behave. It's a point that has helped me many times in my real job, IT. Just because the manual says x causes y doesn't mean it does.

Perhaps more importantly, I have read prodigous amounts of SF and am more than conversant with the problem of Anthropormiphisation. To restate this, I've seen all manner of behavioural patterns ascribed to putative aliens. I can easily believe that a super-intelligent shade of the colour blue does exist out there. Aliens as depicted in Star Wars, Star Trek, Media SF are only nominally alien. Their physical appearance is different to appeal to the masses. I don't count myself amongst the masses.

So then, would a real extraterrestial behave differently to us Homo Sapiens. Of course they would. They have evolved in very different circumstances and under different evolutionary pressures. Why then don't they act alien?
    (thed)

i believe he is saying "screw the frame of reference. lets mix and match"

blundered? never been gladder to accept charge

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Missing my point entirely, and trying to justify laziness. Grow up, eh?

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

IF aliens were abducting people, why would they do that? To learn something? Why? Because there is something to be learned from the experience, relevant to their culture, or biology. What they learn has some application, therefore. Application implies some similarity, and similarity implies that we are able to make conjectures. Intelligence is the same whatever the species, and the motives will be the same. Aliens aren't going to do things 'just cos' so they can fit in with any wild behaviours attributed to them.

So the perceived motive is crucial, and failing to consider a motive doesn't lend the abduction hypothesis any credibility. There _is_ a motive if it is happening, nothing happens for no reason at all.

10. Gustav Banned Banned

its gonna get much worse
    bring reinforcements

11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Gustav,

I hope your reinforcements include objective evidence.

12. Gustav Banned Banned

not a good start
    not for me. for you pseudo skeptics
    make it worth my time

now
    why dont you just voice your goddamn concerns?
    this is a science forum
    evidence of fucking what??? define
    have i erred? how? what are my claims?

do you fucks not not know that i have nothing but gratitude if you show me the errors in pronouncements

knowledge
    it is all that matters

ego, the province of sub humans

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Are you looking for something worth your time? Take a look here:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

This will help you communicate correctly in the English language.

I am concerned that you're nuts.

Congratulations... good job.

Evidence of any fantastic claim you might make in this thread of course. Seeing as you appear to be defending fantastic claimers I suspect it is only a matter of time before you drop one in there yourself.

Ad hom with a promise of gratitude? Nice combo.

Is that an objective claim?

14. Gustav Banned Banned

pardon
    i thrashed the rest in the dumpster
    i will send you the bill

ahh
    you wanna fuck me some time in the future
    uhhh, ok.

/rendered speechless

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I rest my case.

16. Gustav Banned Banned

there is NO issue being disputed. NONE discussed
    yet
    the victory dance!
    and you call me insane

/speechless

4000 posts eh? lets see what you are about

17. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

The issue is your sanity of course.

18. Gustav Banned Banned

well
    i shall throw you a bone. all my views on any topic in this forum are already down on paper. there is absolutely no need for to skulk around hoping to ambush in the event i would make a "fantastic claim".

the course of action that you've embarked upon is absolutely ridiculous

you are waiting for me to make a fantastic claim

WHY?

that question has to be asked

there is no way anybody can read that with a straight face nor not wonder about the rationale behind it

it is crackpottery at its finest
    a promissory debunking
    well done crunchy
    you have no idea how silly you look

at the very least....

well, there is your opportunity. attack this defense. wait! you seem unsure whether there is even a defense. ok. establish and then attack

good luck, woo woo
    thanks for the laugh

19. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Interesting interpretation. I am not sure where I stated I was waiting for you to do so vs. setting an expectation for evidence if such a claim was made.

Take a look at the thread you're posting in and your first post to it. Oh the irony.

Well, of course I'm unsure. Have you tried to read your own posts?

20. Gustav Banned Banned

for chrissakes crunchy
    i was fucking with phlog
    semantical bullshit
    a troll
    all valid questions tho

whatever
    lets move on
    rengage if something with real meat comes, ja?

21. Gustav Banned Banned

i can clarify but i am sure you will refuse offer
    your intent is to smear as insane, without a shred of evidence

was i rude to you at any point?
    pardon
    it is just rhetoric

22. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

They could be adolescents on a lark. They could be natural scientists. They could be criminals. They could have weird sexual fetishes.

Just think for a moment of the wide range of reasons Americans have captured wild animals and what they have done to these? Heliocentric is right that a motive may not be intelligible to us. There may be many motives. Maybe they live thousands of years and the boredom makes them unpredictable. Notice the wild variety of things humans do who have access to cars and guns - humble in relation to possible alien technology, but still. We have no reason to assume the aliens all have the same motives or that they are a government appointed team of scientists.

Think of what the Yanomami have had to deal with in relation to missionaries, oil speculators, farmers, prospectors, rapists, anthropologists, hikers, drunk whites and so on. And that's a group that is hard to access. With alien technology perhaps it's easy and cheap to come here.

Who the hell knows?

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

Attempting to say that we cannot understand the motivations of aliens to excuse the incoherence in the reports of alien abductions is rot.

It's a manifestation of 'God works in mysterious ways', ie, a cop out to avoid hypocrisy and inconsistency.