Going Organic

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by superstring01, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I've heard about acai becoming popular in the US now, after the researches that were made on acai's properties

over here acai na tijela (in the bowl) it very popular, I like mine with banana and granola, kind of like that:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

• It happens with many alternatives. You just gotta keep trying different things until you find the one for you.

There's nothing special about brown eggs. Look for organic eggs that have omega-3 and 6 in them.

Some brands taste like plastic... I personally think Vitasoy is the best.

The vegetables are the most important ones to be organic. What's the point in eating vegetables that are not organic? They are no good for you. Look for local vegetables, they will probably be cheaper...

Vegetables are the most imporant ones to be organic. Meats are good too, but no as significant....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There's more than twice as much organic produce sold in stores as is grown in fields.

Just a random factoid to keep in mind.

But the modern commercial product is a disappointment, if you're used to eating food.

In reverse order of preference:

My garden (which I don't have this year. Life sux)

Local, know the source and approve (pigs, chickens, turkeys, and eggs, especially, because you can't always see the difference on the shelf. The difference between a well-raised chicken and a store chicken is one of the biggest differences involved here - if you notice the difference in eggs, the difference in chickens will startle you yet. But the label "organic" is not always reliable, and costs a fortune).

Organic, has the label and/or is in the right store.

Interestingly, that's the reverse order of cost. As with tobacco, better quality is had cheaper. I know a guy who raises flowers to eat the buds, as a vegetable. That's luxury. It's cheap.

I put stuff on poles, etc. Beans, cucumbers, whatever. My next garden is raised bed, and there will be poles anyway.

My grandfather: "You can spend it on food, or you can spend it on doctor bills".

Huge differences noted in: beans, sweet corn, tomatoes, poultry and eggs, pigs, carrots, and so forth. We get the water boiling, or preheat the bake oven, before we even pick the sweet corn

Herbs available from one's own garden in large quantities turn into different ingredients entirely - a pound of basil is food, not seasoning. You can leave beets in the ground until they are huge and woody, and then grind them up for thick borscht strongly flavored, slice them for a strikingly pretty baked vegetable (red and white grain). Carrots likewise.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

anyone eat turkey or duck eggs?

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

If you consume only ONE organic food...let it be MILK!

Nasty stuff!

9. superstring01 Moderator

Tried it. Love it. Though, I only drink Silk Soy milk 'cause I'm trying to pry lactose outta' my life.

Additional: I just discovered the best organic, flourless bread on earth and it tastes simply amazing: Food For Life, Ezekiel 4:9.

~String

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

I converted to everything organic long time back, except for the clothes i buy and off course leather shoes (which i am thinking of replacing). You can actually make out differences between a Granny Smith apple (Non Organic) Vs a Green Organic apple should you consume it long enough (as in say for about 6 months you only eat Organic apple) ... I dont know, may be it was just me ... but i could feel weirdness in the taste of Non Organic apples ...

For those of you who have access to Whole Foods, good for you, Its a little far from my place, so i use Native Sun ... Kinda ok with limited selection =(

Any good chains you know off (btw, I am talking in U.S.).?

Rick

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Turkey eggs are decent - they will develop without fertilization more often and more completely than chicken eggs, though, and turkeys don't jsut keep laying like hens - so you're better off eating turkeys than their eggs.

Duck eggs you can have. Oily, heavy, strange tasting. But I've only eaten wild ones, so maybe diet matters. Ducks won't keep laying either - so most people jsut raise ducks.

12. superstring01 Moderator

Here in Cleveland we have a local chain (like two stores) called The Mustard Seed that sell only natural and organic food and merchandise.

In a suburb of Cleveland called Westlake we have a Trader Joe's, which is pretty big in the US.

~String

13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Sprouted grain breads have a very vibrant favour but they tend to be too fibrous for most people.

I make my own bread three times a week and it speaks to me in my dreams. The secret is to use dark brown sugar to start the yeast, and to dampen the surface of the dough just before it goes into the oven...which is not pre-heated.

I also roll it in hulled sesame seeds. Half and half hard white flour and light rye flour. Costs about thirty-five cents a loaf.

One of my clients btw says she halted the progress of her husband's MS by switching to organics exclusively.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've eaten duck eggs and to me they were rubbery. Like they had less moisture in them than chicken eggs. Also had guinea hen eggs, but don't remember what they taste like. I guess that means that I found them no different than chicken eggs in taste, but they were considerably smaller.

15. Roman Banned Banned

That beady texture is the husks of dead wasps and their hatched out larvae.

16. Roman Banned Banned

Also known as starfruit. Very juicy, weakly flavored. It's like gatorade fruit or something.

Durian is weird stuff. I don't like it, but my family is crazy about it.

17. superstring01 Moderator

HA! So true.

~String

18. Gustav Banned Banned

wow
    excellent "pitch"
    i am tempted...

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

When we slice up starfruit, we just eat the seeds. Please tell me they aren't poisonous.