God is Okay: His fan clubs create problems.

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Dinosaur, Sep 2, 2015.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Which one? Let's get that out of the way first.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

You tell me. What does the church do that's so terrible?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, which commandment says love your neighbor as yourself?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I don't believe you're that naive.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I can't believe that I know Christianity better than you.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I can't believe you don't know the answer to your own question.

10. timojin Valued Senior Member

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I do, I'm testing you. It's in the NT, but it's not one of the ten commandments.

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

""On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

OK, then it was a misunderstanding. It's a commandment, just not one of the 10.

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think if you carefully observe the two, the others just fall in line. Even so, it's a hard task to adhere.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Right. Like the one about not creating any representative art.

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

If you are a traditionalist, yeah. Some people believe the cross is an object of idol worship (a point that I happen to agree with). There are other issues that also pop up, one being the celebration of Christmas. Many view it as a pagan holiday, a mutation brought about by the Catholic Church to appease the early Romans.

17. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Objective empirical faith.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Silly man, those words make no sense together.

19. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I mean, it's not particularly revolutionary or meaningful. What 'god'? Which concept is 'good' or 'okay' to you? Are our conceptions of divinity and the sacred even able to be separated from the behaviours and social institutions that frame them? Religion and spirituality aren't just about ideas, they are about practices and communities too.

Even then, which 'fan clubs' are harmful? Are they universally so? I don't agree with Christianity or Islam, and they've been responsible for their fair share of violence in the world. But at the same time, they've also been responsible for a great deal of philosophy, learning, cultural development, and artistic expression. The same level of devotion towards a religious institution and its ideas that created the Crusades also created the Sistine Chapel. The Roman Church alternately destroyed and preserved ancient books and knowledge, depending on the era and local customs. Religions, even the large and organized ones, are much less monolithic than they might seem.

20. river

Hap

They were and are now , responsible , both islam and christianity for the manipulation of the minds of Human's to war against Humanity. With no empathy.

21. river

If anybody wants to believe in god(s) knock yourself out.

But when this god of yours TAKES Human lives, THAT is where all believers should draw their line.

22. wellwisher Banned Banned

Christianity merged with Rome in the 4th century AD. The Roman Emperor Constantine allowed this merger as reward to the Christian Soldiers of the empire, for their courage in battle. After the merger, what appeared was a composite religion that had both Roman and Christian elements, with Rome the overlord of the composite. Holidays, like Christmas, were added as a bridge to the established Pagans, while appealing to the Christians. Both would use the same holiday and learn to become one.

If you want to understand the truth of Christianity, after the 4th century, you need to add the Roman influence to the equation. Rome led at first and then gradually became transformed until it was absorbed into the composite Roman Church. Before the 4th century and the merger, Christianity was a religion of slaves. But after the merger, it took on aspects of the Roman persona.

By the 14th century, the 1000 year merger began to split, with partially polarized versions of Rome and Christianity beginning to differentiate from the composite.

Atheism, is more from the Rome half, but contains elements of common sense Christian morality. Hitler was a highly slanted Romanist/Christian. The Germans SS had the Roman tech savvy and used the Roman goose step in marching.

The USA which would become a republic and place of religious freedom; part Rome and part Christian. The Spanish Inquisition was a Roman clan in Christian clothing.

Often the dark side of Christianity; Crusades, that is disliked by the atheists, is connected to the dark side of the Roman aspect. Atheists often assume they are the good side of Rome, projecting the dark side.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

What you haven't got grossly and egregiously wrong you've twisted or just plain invented.
    Please stop posting.

spidergoat likes this.