God is a preference

Discussion in 'Comparative Religion' started by Seattle, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

God is a preference, a subjective choice to respond as though God exists regardless of the factual situation (which is unknowable).

There are reasons for others to be concerned with this subjective choice if it affects others but largely (taking wars, infringement of personal liberties out of the equation for the moment) it is a personal philosophy and as such it's not a matter of searching for the truth any more than searching for the truth is applicable to someone else's preferences for music, food, culture, etc.

Getting someone to admit that God is a preference is pointless since someone who believes in God isn't going to suspend that belief for the sake of an argument. Some who believe in God may not even be intellectually capable of such an argument.

Everyone has had the experience of trying to argue with a drunk, someone who is in an emotional state or a child and it's fruitless. We have heard the sentiment that bad things happen in large groups or that you aren't going to change human nature or such related statements.

You can try to change the world but you are going to ultimately be thwarted and become frustrated. Think globally and act locally as they say. All you can do is influence things on the smallest scales. Man is going to be violent, stupid, and petty on a large enough scale and trying to change that is ultimately futile.

Arguing about religion, unless it's in a political situation where other's rights are being affected, is useless.

Dennis Tate and paddoboy like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Religion/God is a preference that some need, to avoid accepting that in the end death means death....a cessation of life.....oblivion, the end, no realisation, no nothing. It is a "comfort" thingy, which even my Mrs clings to strongly.

But that's life: We are all different. I can accept any person [and obviously have since I've been married to the one woman for 40 years] and their choice of choosing a God for comfort. I don't mind in the least.
    In my own situation, the prime quality needed is "tolerance" And having that can have any situation work.
    My only indifference and annoyance with God/religion is when some more fanatical elements, start to infringe on science and make derisive comments about such. That of course also goes both ways....Science people going out of their way to dispel or otherwise antagonise god/religion.
    I suppose "Live and let live" is my motto.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I like arguing about religion because it is the only arguement where both sides win.
    Alex

Dennis Tate likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. timojin Valued Senior Member

Paddoboy are you talking about me ? Ha ha .

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

If the cap fits, timojin............

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So knowledge is unknowable? I disagree.

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Everyone disagrees that knowledge is unknowable. The existence of the supernatural is unknowable.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

We usually just use the term faith.

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I like to spell it out. Is there something objectionable in that?

13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I have no idea of the percentage, but I expect it may be a relatively high percentage, of theists have been exposed to religion from an early age, but for them it would be very difficult to think of a world where their God was not a reality.
    People who have been indoctrinated during childhood could be seen as really not being able to have a choice.
    I see the indoctrination of children as not a good thing where as a theists would believe it unthinkable to put off religious education until the child was in fact an adult.
    You do find some kids who have been indoctrinated somehow are able to figure out that it is all made up and I do not know why some are able yet others can never regain their ability to reject the childhood programing.
    Alex

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Not at all. I was concurring, albeit ... succinctly.

Seattle likes this.
  15. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Some people may not think in terms of faith being what you are left with when you don't have any evidence so I like to spell it out.

16. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Lucifer is the angel of gnosis, he rebelled theologically when God gave his angels free will.

But, I believe in Lucifer. So lets suspend this.

Im passive making me wise, and peaceful, let alone happy.

Like a fallen angel.

17. Seattle Valued Senior Member

My hope is that one day when I read kx000's post they will make sense to me. That's how I will know that there is a God.

18. river

Agreed

Understanding religion ; where did it originate and why , ancient history ( 6000yrs ago and further back ) . That is the discussion we all NEED to have .

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

If it's unknowable, then why talk as though you know (God is a preference)?

Way to stick the boot in.

If you believe that, then don't you think you should try and understand what God is.
    Maybe God is to the believer, what air is to the body.
    Imagine someone asking you to suspend breathing, it would only be comfortable for a few seconds.

Are you equating theists with drunks and children?

I'm not sure how this ties in.

So is arguing about air and water.

jan.

20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Why is English so difficult for you? If it's unknowable then it is a preference (because you can't know it either).

God isn't air. Now this is where you post "How do you know" and off we go...

Are you equating God with air?

Air and water are tangible and can be argued about if there is some aspect worth arguing about (such as being in short supply). It's pointless to argue about the prettiest color however. God is your preference.

21. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

God is unknowable to you, so you're not in a position say why others believe in God.
    You only think God is unknowable to me, because God is unknowable to you. Do you agree?

It was a metaphor.

I'll assume you are.

And you're a materialist, so it's obvious you're going to see it like that.
    Your only problem is, you want to foist that conditioning onto me, and while I sympathize with the sentiment, it simply isn't true that God is unknowable. God can be known.

jan.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

God is inherently unknowable to everyone that's not a God.

23. Seattle Valued Senior Member

No. God is unknowable to everyone. You don't "know" that there is a God. You prefer that there be a God and you have chosen to act as if there was one and in a way that you've defined.

But not a good one.

OK.

I disagree. God is unknowable just as is the answer to the question of life after death.