God exists only in your mind!!!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Vega, Jun 27, 2006.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

No I wouldn't say so, more like it exposes that the notion of "fair" is largely based in fantasy and irrelevant - however suckish that may seem.

"My" burden isn't in question. You made a general statement, I replied generally. You don't have to make weak excuses to cop out of an argument where your beliefs are challenged, but you can obviously reserve the right to do so.

*smirk*

For some reason I can't help thinking you basically just said "so long, and thanks for all the fish".

So long then.

If you wouldn't mind terribly before you go... I'm more curious about your reaction to what I considered the more substanitive points made above:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. perplexity Banned Banned

My proposition was that so long as a sufficent number people accept something as a truth, then it stands as such.

If you are now proposing that a sufficiient number assert, that is another kettle of fish to sniff at.

It is not so bad to be selfless or mindless. Some people practice diligently to achieve it as an end.

--- Ron.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Isn't it really just "truth" to those who comprise the sufficient number? Doesn't "truth" require context?

If something is accepted as in, proven subjectively to be "truth", is that not license to assert?

There is no such thing as "selfless" or "mindless" so long as one makes claims to either - for such a state is extinguished upon its proclamation.

For instance to say "I am selfless" is self-negating as I'm sure you could see. There must have existed a self to make the proclamation.

The same would follow for "mindless".

The selfless or mindless have nothing at all to say.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. perplexity Banned Banned

I am not a theist, nor did I say that I am.

I do not believe in any soul crap, nor did I say that I do.

If I may suggest it is more like saying that when you tap the keyboard to speak your mind the current within the transistors is a negligible factor.

--- Ron.

8. perplexity Banned Banned

Yes.

For most intents and purposes the context is the truth.

No.

Don't worry.

No need to say "selfless" for my benefit.

Yes indeed.

That is one of the very best things about it.

Imagine the relief...!!!

--- Ron.

9. Diogenes' Dog Subvert the dominant cliche... Registered Senior Member

Blimey, I've been away for a day and the discussion has moved on some!

So, what are you having 'true awe and respect' for? The inevitable outcome of a blind inanimate process? Or the 'ingenuity' expressed in nature? Whatever - I'm glad.

Smoking crack generally has a negative effect on people's lives, hence I would discourage anyone from doing it. Taking some exercise generally has a positive effect, so it's a good thing to do. Spirituality/religion follows the same rules. If it enhances your life, then do it!

Well, that's the neat classical model of progress they teach you at school. In reality it's not quite like that! There's a lot more argument in science, and imagination! A good example is Murray Gell-Mann's theory of quarks, which even he at one time believed was just a mathematical abstraction it was so unbelievable.

Another is Dirac's equation which predicted the existence of antimatter. Again he thought this so unbelievable (and so did everyone else) that he ignored the prediction, presuming his equation to be just a useful mathematical tool unrelated to reality. He famously said after antimatter was observed that his equation was "cleverer than he was".

A current example is "Brane Cosmology", which is really out to lunch with the fairies, and what is more it may never be "provable". However, it's elegant and coherent and fantastical!

Well, as I keep having to say (yawn), there is plenty of evidence for theism, the problem is it is in the area of individual subjective experience. Such evidence cannot be shared - it's the problem of qualia! Science is crap at evaluating any evidence that is not objective and not predictably repeatable!

Believe it if you want Godless, I won't stop you! 'Hearing voices' is not my idea of religion but if it is yours, and Jayne's theory helps you in dismissing them, then great! As I said, if something enhances your life - do it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

how do you know? it could be the opposite: the mind forms the "stuff outside our mind."

11. Provita Provita Registered Senior Member

So u admit God exists

12. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Despite the obvious power of the brain, I don't think it can simulate an entire universe.

I wouldn't call it 'inanimate', but why can't it be both blind and ingenuitive? (if that is a word)

13. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I am still waiting for theists to answer this question. I think it is fair.

14. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I don't believe in anything, the evidence has been shown, god's origin comes from hearing voices in ancient men heads. Read your godamn bible, and see how many pathetic quotes go from "hearing the voice of god" to having visions of angels and gods"

Thus truly proven, the origins of god, religion, and the ilk comes from premature developed minds.

Godless

15. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I would not say that the evidence is conclusive, or even credible. however, the accounts of "visions" and the like, are consistent with mental illness.

16. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

I don't think the brain created the universe, brain is "matter" too, you know. I think the mind creates the brain. The brain is a tool for consciousness to express itself more, it's not the source of consciousness.

17. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

still waiting

18. LiveInFaith Registered Senior Member

Brain; didnt form mind, it is merely a machine where works of mind take place, controlled by mind (concious neuron). At an instance of time before one dies, and at an instance of time after one dies, the same brain is there. But it cannot be ignited anymore, since the mind has gone. Indeed, the whole body system off (concious and subconcious), and never could be on again. Computer could be turned on again.

This begs a question of dead person's mind: gone somewhere, totally lost into nothing, or converted?

If mind is a matter, into what form it is converted? (as matter could not be totally lost but only be converted into other form of matter/energy).

As for the brain (and most of the body parts), they will obviously be decomposed, but then I wonder, why bones not so easily be decomposed? Because it contains material not easily be decomposed. Yes, but why would it contains that material? Why should the material there, forming the bones?

Atheist live in the world of 'HOW", because science can explain the "HOW" based on observation upon repetitive events and symptomps (defined as evidence); thus after events.

But when it comes to "WHY", the before events things, how could we observe ? Everything will be speculative then, so what would you consider criteria for something being true?

Evidence, all it has to do is regarding HOW.

You could find evidence when regarding HOW IT WORKS. But WHY IT WORKS THAT WAY.... what evidence should be presented ?

We just take for granted why universe works it's way.

19. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Evidence please.

You have this the wrong way round. The "mind" has gone because the brain has deteriorated to such a point that it can not work.

If you insist on seeing the "mind" as a physical entity, then you are the one who must provide the evidence to support it.
    If, however, you see "mind" as an abstraction to describe the processes that go on inside someone's head, then it is quite clear that this "mind" does not exist and thus does not need to go anywhere - it IS the processes of the brain. No brain - no mind. No brain processes - no mind.

It's called EVOLUTION.

Yes - and our observations of "How" also lead to predictions of future events.

Why is it not sufficient to say: It works... because it does?
    Why must there be a "Why"?

It is because people are not content with just being that they come up with the "why" for themselves - with zero chance of ever finding evidence to support that "why".

So what makes one such person's "why" any more valid than another person's "why"?

And why do you need a "why"?

20. perplexity Banned Banned

Because of choice.

If follows from why do this or that instead.

---- Ron.

21. LiveInFaith Registered Senior Member

could just that be, one needs, or needs not, the "why". But fact is, somehow "why" questions appear in people's mind. It may deserve answer, although some people may think it's not needed to.

So because there is zero chance of having objective answer, then just ignore the "why" question?

22. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

We're not talking about micro-situations of "why have brown bread instead of white?" - or even "why do I need to follow rules?". These can be answered simply enough.

But answers to all those can be answered with further "why do this?" - and ultimately you'll boil it down to the most fundamental question:

"Why are we here?"

Even if there was evidence that there is a "why" (which there isn't), such questions can never be answered - and thus it is futile to ask.

You can feel free to impose your own subjective reasoning for your existence if you so wish.
    But without evidence to support it...

23. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

you didn't answer my question. I want to know by what criteria you judge something to be truth/real. your religion for example.