God and Free Will

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Roman, Apr 19, 2007.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Then that's NOT free will in the true sense of the phrase. It's limited free will, with conditions and consequences. You can even remove all the sugarcoating that the bible throws on top of this, and it boils down to:
    You have the 'free will' to either choose Jesus as your savior, or burn for eternity in hell. <--that's just another way to say what you posted.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

sinful acts tend to harden the heart - in other words a sinful person is empowered by god to have a hard heart

hardening the heart depends on sinful acts and softening the heart depends upon not performing sinful acts - desiring a soft heart while having a range of sinful acts to take shelter of doesn't appear to do the trick

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Mikenostic
    thats correct - in philosophical terms it is called determinism - basically its the same as free will, except that there are consequences according to how one utilizes their freedom - like for instance by misuse of free will a person performs crimes and is put in jail
    give or take a few details (I could pull apart the eternal hell thing), that is the essential extent of our free will - namely the choice to either accept god (or god's representative) or reject him, with concomitant reactions

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

interesting that you open your post with a conclusion - but what are the premises?
    this is not a premise, but a further conclusion based on your opening conclusion
    If I know that if you stick your finger in fire it will burn you don't have free will to do that - and if I am omnipresent, given that I can read your mind the moment you decide to stick your finger in fire - and if I am omnipresent - given that I can exist everywhere and be present both in and outside of you - can I not be fully in control of everything and witness and know your sticking of your finger in fire before your finger actually goes in?
    on the contrary, there is nothing that can over come god's desire - by desiring something to happen he can make it happen - given the state of the living entity in the material world, it is god's desire that the living entity comes to his senses, hence everyone meets with reverses in the pursuit of the perfect material life (even the apparently materially perfect people with beauty, wealth and everything envied by those who don't have it)
    \

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

As nor Adam or Eve knew rebelling was wrong (they didn't know right from wrong and therefor couldn't possible know disobeying this pick of a God-head would get them in trouble) it's all BS

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As to free will, if God knows what your choice will be then you have no choice. Monotheists will say that God is an "observer" and that really you made the choice and God is just watching, but the fact is if God knows all choices then you do not have the freedom to do anything other than what God knows you will do. No "Free Will"

9. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

On the premise that flew over your head, cause it's seemingly stuckupyourrectum!

OTH omniscient is my premise, has this flown over your head? If an entity knows an outcome of an event, it has no choice, since the outcome is predetermined. If this entity changes, the event then this concludes a mistake, not omnipotent, to change the event the reason may be because it didn't have knowledge of the outcome, so not omniscient either.

If an omniscient entity knows our choice cause they are predetermined, then we have no free will. Free will kills the concept of an omnimax entity, cause if such an entity exist, then we have no free will.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You are both, of course correct.
    However, as I said, I don't think one necessarily must know the future to be omniscient.

and
    I'd like you both to respond to that.

11. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

In my debates with BeyonTimeandSpace, the entity god according to him knows everything that there is to know, correct? Then an event is known by such an entity. My argument suggest since the entity knows the event, he should also know it's outcome. Correct? if an entity knows an outcome of an event this implies foreknowledge of such an event, he knows the outcome, so if the entity changes any outcome of an event this would be considered divine intervention. If such a thing happened, then this entity apparently has made a mistake, thus omitting him of having perfect knowledge, since the outcome has been predetermined since time began, then divine intervention has occurred, this contradicts perfect knowledge of an outcome of an event.

Thus god has no free will.

If an entity knows the outcome of our choices, since the beginning of time, hence god transcends time correct? then this implies foreknowledge of such a decision, if such an entity know the outcome of that decision, then we have no free will, hence it's predetermined. Our decision to choose comes spontaneously thus unpredictable, if an outcome is known before it happens by an entity this is not spontaneous on our part, but a predetermined choice, thus we have no free will.

Thus god contradicts the concept of free will, if this god serves all the attributes of omnimax.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I gathered that was the aroma of your premise
    if you mean does your explanation of omniscient seem a bit askew, yes

If an entity knows an outcome of an event, it has no choice, since the outcome is predetermined. If this entity changes, the event then this concludes a mistake, not omnipotent, to change the event the reason may be because it didn't have knowledge of the outcome, so not omniscient either.

If an omniscient entity knows our choice cause they are predetermined, then we have no free will. Free will kills the concept of an omnimax entity, cause if such an entity exist, then we have no free will.[/QUOTE]

this however doesn't address what I brought up in the post- namely that if god is situated in the universe as an all pervasive entity, he can know what happens no matter which way you spring your free will - you just open with an ad hom and repeat what you already said

13. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

You mean God "knows" the position and state of each particle or wave of reality from every atom on "downward" in all dimensions?

What does it even mean to "know" all of this?
    Where is the information stored?

To know everything is to have a record of all that IS as it happens.

To record ALL information you would need to make a copy or duplicate of the entire Universe (thus have all of it's information) for every single instant of reality. To do anything other than make a copy, it seems to me, would requite more information to record the information.
    So copies it is.
    Then the question becomes: is there infinity in an instant or can an instant be broken down into discreet units? If it can be, and lets assume there is a limit, then you would have trillions of duplicate Universes saved somewhere for each millisecond.

This "somewhere" would be one big motherf*cking backup external hard-drive in the sky..... called God.

OK, sure, I wouldn't think it so ... but maybe it's possible?

Michael

14. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

god for an "unknown entity" there sure as hell lots of advocates claiming to know all it's attributes!

How the hell can you explain a pervasive entity? God is up your ass? must be, you claim it's everywhere, so your rectum is a destination, god is everywhere so he's there too!

Wait a second Michael space itself is the computer. The hardrive though perhaps expired, along with it's creation. Seemingly cause space is a chaotic phenomenon and not a orderly entity like many theist claim.

If an entity knows or has foreknowledge of any outcome, at all, whether I decide to go left or right, the outcome of that choice is known "predetermined" then I have no free will.

Space, life itself is not a predetermined phenomenon. Life is a chaotic entity, humans are unpredictable just as space, like Michael mentions if all information is stored, then that's one big F*cking hardrive.

Thanks LG discussing with you only brings me closer to being a strong atheist, one who plainly just claims a god doesn't exist. From you I gather what type of entity god is, a pervasive, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, omnipresent entity that contradicts it's very own existence, by the use of plain and simple logic!

15. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

ah the free will argument again,
    read this
    www.geocities.com/inquisitive79/vindicate.html

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

omniscient, omnipotent and all pervasive - these are general charcteristics

scripture is a good place to start

SB 11.15.36: Just as the same material elements exist within and outside of all material bodies, similarly, I cannot be covered by anything else. I exist within everything as the Supersoul and outside of everything in My all-pervading feature.

17. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

And you have evidence exactly how?

Which? there are literally thousands. Could the book of Zeus be a start, or Marduk maybe?

So god is an atom that resides in your rectum?

By who's account? ain't a super perfect entity suppose to create a perfect universe? Couldn't it at least do that? Since most theist believe that humans are a bunch of fuckups since birth, "born in sin" couldn't this entity get anything right?

To say a god does exist requires all knowledge (omniscient) in all places (omnipresent)-since this challenges the human capacity, the theist who makes this claim has worked themselves into a tight corner by maintaining an absolute negative.

It works both ways LG, either you got evidence or you don't. You just fell in my trap!

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Godless
    first comes theory - next comes practice - next comes realization
    one should only talk of realization if one is ready to discuss (and perform) the topic of practice
    all good places to start
    that and a whole lot more

If there is a problem, I guess its not the universes

19. Spectrum Registered Senior Member

By strict definition isn't a free will the freedom to allow whatever will happen, to happen. For example should I decide that I will go to the shop and I arrive there then I have been granted my will, but should I decide that I will do something more serious then we find a problem. For will to persevere my actions must remain a secret until such time as my will is executed, but should my will be known then it is possible to stop me. Hence a free-will relies on the will that is to be performed, and how it affects other people.

20. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

The same would work for Lenny the leprechaun, but yet you deny it's existence!

Start here:
    http://www.churchofreality.org/wisdom/introduction/

Why would an atom that resides in your rectum require worship?

actually to know Lenny exists requires that Lenny reveals himself-thats why you see that Lenninism has not just a claim but a claim of a process as well (theory-practice-realization)

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Godless
    I think we have already discussed that and had severe problems with the theory stage that moves on to practical application
    so we are in a world where all prostitutes say they are virgins, where all persons selling whisky saying that there product is good - and they all say it is real too.

actually it would call for changing the current mode of worshiping one's own backside and instead seeing the bigger picture

now I guess you just have to bridge the gap from theory to realization - given that the only serious books about lenny you can find are craft manuals for st. patricks day, it seems you have a difficult task ahead of you

22. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

According to you, cause you fail to implement the process to know Lenny.

So we are in a world where all religions say they are the one true religion, and where all sects deem themselves the chosen ones of god-and they all say everyone else is damned if you don't believe as they do!

What's the big picture? That god is the BIG ASSHOLE?

How wrong you are, you have not done your research.

The tying together ST Patrick's day and Leprechauns is a modern phenomenon, however the folklore of this little creature is being around since ancient times. It's myth I won't deny that, but so is your religion or any that you care to mention!!

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Godless

does the process involve craft glue and scissors (be sure to reference your process in a historical continuum although)

so therefore you cannot believe everything you hear, nor disbelieve everything that you hear - where does that leave you?
    actually it means that your ass is not so important no matter how big you think it is
    hence my original statement was correct

"I think we have already discussed that and had severe problems with the theory stage that moves on to practical application"