GMO Problems continue

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by river, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Right. According to the label, it has most everything you need to stay alive.... except the motivation.

DaveC426913 likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

oh my mistake.
    your talking about free food

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Poster was referring to the recently discovered malign influence of glyphosate on the microbiome of bees. I also have posted that, a while ago elsewhere on the forum - it's a serious issue, that had never been investigated until the recent study. It may be as significant as neonicotinoids on its own (unlikely but possible), and the two factors may interact and amplify - it's hard to separate them, because the promulgation of each of them was so carelessly managed.

Part of the reason it had never been investigated is that nobody knew much about gut microbiomes back when the safety of the glyphosate resistance and Bt expression GMs was being certified for essentially the entire American agricultural landscape, as a favor to a couple of agribusiness concerns. And ignorance is - by law - evidence of safety in US corporate regulation.

There has been essentially no research on the effects of glyphosate ingestion - or Bt ingestion, or ingestion of the genetic code bearing organelles involved - on the human gut microbiome. So it's certified as safe - no problem.
    That is unknown. All those are possible side effects of immune system damage, social structure damage, and related injuries, for example - which are newly discovered side effects of glyphosate exposure as mediated by the gut microbiome. The research on that is in the early stages - the preliminary findings look kind of worrisome.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

if you were employed by a chemical company to sell chemicals, would it be fair to expect some type of disclaimer from you when you suggest your entering into a scientific debate ?
    maybe not.
    maybe that is overtly private as it pertains to something you choose.
    is that free will ? or by another name 'free market capitalism' ?

is that where your driving the discussion ?

has your definition of "free market capitalism" thread jacked the topic ?

interesting concept.
    now we re-read this sentence...

?
    deliberate semi scientific misdirection ?

maybe it is your writing style.
    by my first glance you appear to be selling something using directional re-definition of injected factualised opinions.

i do hope i am wrong.
    please point out where i have miss understood you.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. You misread.
    Sure.
    Nope. I stand by my statement. Getting 50% of your calories from GMO vegetables is much better for you (and the planet) than getting 50% of your calories from locally farmed, 100% organic, artisanal bacon.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not by beekeepers. If it is unknown by you, perhaps some research is in order?

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It is significantly unknown by anyone.

For starters: All four of those factors are, at least sometimes, debilitating symptoms rather than root causes - for example: glyphosate and neonicotinoid exposures create vulnerability to parasites and pathogens, interfere with nutrition of larval bees, and exacerbate the effects of pesticides.

As of now, nobody has a solid handle on the relative importance of the various factors. Researchers just started investigating the gut microbiome a couple years ago - among other unknowns. Add to that the poor data on key matters such as actual exposure regimes and real life agricultural practice.

And that's just bees. Bees are better studied than people, or almost any other animal, with this stuff.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    RainbowSingularity likes this.