Global Federal Government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by data2.0, Apr 14, 2013.

1. data2.0 Registered Senior Member

Why is the movement towards one so weak? How would it be created and implemented? Does anyone want to form a political party with a focus on attaining this goal?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

i would say nationalism and patriotism are the primary reasons.
    face it, no one wants another country telling them what to do.
    a unified world government of sorts exists as the UN and that is probably as close as you'll get.
    i don't think you will engineer such a change, it's going to take some kind of unifying factor a "independence day" sort of thing.
    i really don't see a world that will be totally at peace with itself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I think there's a really fundamental reason why this won't (and probably shouldn't) happen. The more remote from the individual citizen government becomes, the less support it will get. You see this in the EU, in the USA and even within the UK (only 60m people on a smallish island). Just about all systems of government recognise this issue, and have some sort of hierarchy that allows the smaller decisions and the collective provision of less critical services to be made more locally, reserving only the really big things for central government, where resources have to be pooled on a large scale (such as defence, social security, health, etc). In the EU they have coined a horrible buzzword for this idea of hierarchy, called "subsidiarity", but the idea is general in all organised societies.

So it seems to me any notion of a global government has to convince the people that some decisions and service provision are so, so big that they can ONLY be made effectively on a global basis. Good luck with that!

There's another objection too, in my opinion. This is that governments are not infallible. Personally I believe there is a strong case that diversification of decision-making around the world offers a measure of insurance against catastrophically wrong decisions. A bit like an investment portfolio, if you like.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member