Girl, 9, 'marries' in Texas

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Orleander, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think I would have thrown her a party instead. A wedding? No.
    I know Ricky Ray got married at 15 because this was his wish as well, but....I wouldn't let my kid.

9 yr old girl 'marries'

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I can understand that an adult would do that if they were terminally ill, but why would a kid.. ?
    I just think it's sad for the boy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I wondered why they didn't throw her a prom or a quinceaƱos. But a wedding???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yea, take her out and do fun stuff. Show her some of the world before she dies..

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

This I don't get..

"I'm happy, but at the at same time I am sad because I know my child is going to go to heaven with the Lord."

Shouldn't that have been:

"I'm sad, but at the at same time I am happy because I know my child is going to go to heaven with the Lord."

:shrug:

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I know little girls dream of getting married to their Prince Charming (happens in Walt Disney movies over and over) and looking like a princess. All of which can be done at a special dance.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

At nine ?
    Hmm apparently this girl did..

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

a lot younger. Its called playing house, and playing house usually starts with a wedding. I know I did and I usually wore a shirt on my head as a veil.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, but that's just play. One could argue that it's play in preparation for adult life, the way animals play-fight and play-hunt to prepare themselves for adulthood.
    It's not like they really want to do it at that age..

13. ancientregime Banned Banned

The song "Never Enough" by Type O Negtive come to mind where I read this sad situation.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Meh it is pretty innocent, she probably doesn't even understand the concept of marriage, just thought it was a nice idea.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

So where are the believers who preach about the sanctity of marriage. Isn't this a mockery of their beliefs as well?

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

slightly off topic but orleander have you ever herd of the starlight foundation?
    i just thought i would ask because when i read the artical they were asking for donations. The whole purpose of the starlight foundation is to give a "present" (i guess you could call it) not only to the sick child but there family as well especially any siblings. the make a wish foundation is along the same lines (might even be the same organisation), they send alot of families with sick kids to disney land for example but they also organise for football players to visit the kids in hospital and stuff like that

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I know how you mean, I actually agree..but, I am torn between thinking 'Well she's dying, why shouldn't she' and 'Fuck that, they should take her quad biking instead'.

18. swarm Registered Senior Member

Terminally ill and dying girl. You left that part off.

Its her dream and I see no harm in it as long as all parties are agreed. In Texas it wouldn't be legally binding so far as I know and I seriously doubt they consummated the relationship.

Let her have her dying dream in peace.

19. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I'm completely torn on this whole situation:

On one hand, the girl is dying and will probably never have the chance for a wedding as an adult with her true love, but at the same time, what about the boy? Is this acknowledged as a true and lawful marriage? What happens when the girl dies? And how much of this was the little girl's wish and how much of this was her parent's wish? Do we really know that this is what the little girl wanted as her last dying wish? And if it is acknowledged as a lawful marriage, will the little boy be a widower when his wife dies at the age of nine? And what about what he wants? How much of this was his decision and how much of it was his parents? Is it moral/ethical to marry your children off when they can barely comprehend what marriage is at their age? Granted one of them is dying, but does that make it right?

I don't know. It's not my place to judge or say what one should do when their child's death is imminent, but what if, by some miracle, she lives? Then what?

Again, I just don't know. If this was truly what the little girl wanted to happen before she died then I'm glad she got her wish, but from the video shown, the little boy, Jose, doesn't look very comfortable or happy. His mother says "he knows what is happening", but from Jose's expression and demeanor it doesn't seem like he does.

This is truly just a tragic story and makes me realize how lucky I am to have the life and health that I have. I just hope that this wedding doesn't do more harm then good and I hope that it wasn't forced upon the children because the parents wished it more then the children did.

Goddess bless Jayla and Jose and I hope that this symbolic marriage, if that is truly what it was, was a happy time for them, and if Jayla does pass on within the next month, I hope that her last moments on this Earth were the happiest of her life.

Sheesh. I'm about to go all sentimental and cry (and I'm not a crier). It just goes to show that life should NEVER be taken for granted.

20. swarm Registered Senior Member

You can't get married at 9 in Texas.

You can get married at 9 in some countries and some people are brtrothed very early.

21. copernicus66 Banned Banned

How would it effect the boy, though? Having your 'wife' die two weeks after marriage would be a little traumatising!

22. Bells Staff Member

Yeah I agree.

Imagine being that young and a widow, especially after he managed to overcome his own illness at such a young age. Then again, he will grieve her loss regardless.

I don't know. I guess when you know your child is going to die, you would do anything and everything you can to give them such special moments to put a smile on their face. Lots of kids who are in the terminal phase want to go to Disneyland. She wanted a wedding where she is the bride.. the fairytale wedding. And she wanted to share it with someone she obviously cares very much for and who shared a lot of her pain and the up's and down's that they went through. What an utterly despairing situation. It's the kind of thing that parents stay awake at night hoping like hell it never happens to their kids.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

??? I didn't leave it off. Its clearly stated in the link.
    And I don't agree with it. If she wanted a fairytale pricess wedding, I would have given her a fairytale princess party. I wouldn't have given her a groom.