GIMP 2.8 (Windows build) There is no disk in drive # Error

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I wanted to share this just encase anyone else has this problem in the future (albeit it might be patched in current versions)

[bug]
    Attempting to open a file causes an error dialogue to pop up with "There is no disk in drive # Error". The dialogue asks if you want to Retry, Ignore or Cancel. choosing one starts a cycle of repeated error dialogues that are difficult to stop.

It actively denies being able to open a file or open the folder view to pick a different folder/drive.

[cause]
    Previously I'd used Gimp to look at an image on an SD card through an SD drive. The previously opened file remains in the "History" causing the bug.

[work around fix]
    In Gimp, go to: Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Document History
    Look for any entries with a default icon (from the location missing)
    Right click on the entry and select "Remove Entry"
    Repeat for all entries that were on a removed drive.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Robert Kernodle Registered Member

January 4, 2015 - [Applies to the latest version of GIMP (i.e., not fixed yet, so it seems)]

I had the same problem, and Stryder's year 2013 [work around fix] actually caused the exact same error message to come up in year 2015, thereby denying me the ability to go through each and every entry of the history. Instead, at the bottom of the "Document History" dialogue box there is an icon to click that says "clear entire document history", which I did, and which seems to have prevented the error message from popping up now.

So, ... MY steps to get rid of the error message are as follows:

In GIMP, go to Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Document History
    At the bottom of the box, click on icon that says, "clear entire document history"
    Now ALL the entries are gone, and clicking on File > Open no longer causes the error message to come up

Hope this works for others too.

Thanks, Stryder, for the path to MY solution.

-- Robert

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.