Gibson or Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by BloodSuckingGerbile, Aug 7, 2002.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It's really difficult to do that, if you have any respect for the final sound.

If you have the money, the skill, the interest, and the time, it can be done - guys like DiMeola get fairly close, but jazz players always sacrifice at least some of the guts of the acoustic tone to do it, and favor a light and flexible sound to begin with. You'll need a close relationship with a good technician.

This player has spent a hell of a lot of time and effort on electrification of acoustics, but he's idiosyncratic - check out his changing rig over the years (warning: a lot is inside the box) maybe, for ideas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tew_fIhz3eY&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnQTC5ICGik&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2gkj7dcD74

I'd just buy an electric. The guys I respect for their sound on electric tell me a good way to start is to play a bunch of them unamped, just listen to the sound of the string and body. You'll notice differences, and acquire preferences.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. FlametopFred Registered Member

indeed but

.... a 1976 Ibanez Gibson lawsuit guitar is a better instrument than a modern Epiphone, and some examples are better than the 1976 Gibson equal.

Partly I was being funny ... "you're soaking in it now" kind of thing

but seriously, vintage, older guitars can be overlooked and a very good buy if you check them out.

1976 Gibson L6S = $1500
    1976 El Maya L6S = $150

For that price one can buy ten Ibanez 70's era Gibson or Fender copies.
    They are as good as any MIJ guitar today, and better than an MIM / MIK Gibson or Fender.

Yes, they are that good - - - I like to present alternative options.

I would put my El Maya on par with the Gibson L6S I owned.
    Just saying "check out the old gear" - you never know what you might find.

Guitar players have a tendency to be snobs right off the bat.
    Which is a shame because there are great finds to be found.

El Maya or Maya (Ibanez) makes a killer Gibson SG copy that you can find for about $200. I'd rather invest $2000 into 10 guitars rather than one.

You can have quantity and quality.
    You can have a Gibson and an Ibanez in one guitar.

Go on, you know you want to, and it won't hurt you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FlametopFred Registered Member

There are some dog 70's era Gibsons and Fenders. That's one of the reasons why Ibanez (and Hamer and so on) rose up the ladder. Gibson and Fender dropped the quality ball for a long time, but kept jacking up prices.

Ibanez, Hamer, etc, came in with alternative prices, styles and very good quality.
    Paul Stanley was one of the first to see what was going on with Ibanez, as did George Benson of course.

It was a good, vital period of change in the guitar industry. Shook things up for the better.

8. FlametopFred Registered Member

Lastly, if you are working on your tone, your hue, your sound and soul then you want to probably modify or customize your guitar.

You are probably more likely to take a good chance on a $150 Ibanez Gibson than you would a $3000 1972 Les Paul. Or whatever.

Van Halen reinvented guitar on a Charvel. Not a Fender or Gibson.
    That opened a floodgate at the time that is overlooked now.

Just sayin'

that's all, just sayin'

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Electrics and acoustics are different animals which typically require different techniques. Throwing a pickup in an acoustic guitar won't give the original poster what they're looking for.

10. John99 Banned Banned

Jist sayin what?

Charvel is a Fender. But Japanese guitars are good just depends on how much money you have to spend. But then you must be a better guitar player than Dwaynne Allman.

If you can only afford a cheap guitar then that is fine too. My guitar cost $199 and was made in Korea. Ha...its not even made of wood.

Which should tell you what guitar it is.

I will be honest with you though, i would take a highe end Les Paul over anything made today or even a Custom Shop Strat.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  11. John99 Banned Banned

Paul Stanley? I wonder if he even played the guitar. Ace Feeehley was the main guitar player and he played Gibsons. Paul Stanley just danced around with the thing.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Weissenborn

It's on my wish list. But first I'm getting an open back banjo of some sort.

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I am all down with you on that one my friend , but it isn't about the guitar as much is it is about the guitar player. Rock and roll will never die no matter what guitar is being played

14. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I like the wobble effect of the strat , but les paul is so hard to beat. Great guitar hands down, but much happiness comes from playing my dark purple srat

15. John99 Banned Banned

So true...So true.

16. John99 Banned Banned

Les Paul is the classic rock sound but it will never sound like a strat although a strat can get close to a Les Paul especially with the tone backed off. I thin so anyway.

17. FlametopFred Registered Member

this is it

s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs

18. FlametopFred Registered Member

Paul Freely plays ibanez, ace

s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1978/30.jpg

19. FlametopFred Registered Member

so "BOTH" is my final answer

no lifeline
    no call

my final answer, Regis. Locked in.

20. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Many people buy fancy equipment to try and sound like there favorite artist only to discover they don't sound like them from the same equipment, later to learn it is technique. The thing about my strat is I have the whammy feature set real loose as to exacerbate the wobble. I don't use the whammy bar, but the effect of going in and out of tonality creates a ghostly effect that is haunting for the listener. It makes it hard to tune , but even if it is not perfect a guy can bend the note to the desired pitch. The effect is grand when it resolves to the root notes of the chording that is going on in the song. I love my strat

21. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Having not read this thread, only the OP- go with Ibanez. I own a custom one and it kicks out killer chops of metal. Gibsons are a step above Strats... I hate Strats- had three of them in my days and they all disappointed. Too tinny a sound to make it rock.

But as far as metal goes, Ibanez is the way to go all the way. Double humbuckers (the #4 position) kick ass!

22. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

You probably use a flimsy pick is why. Thick pick strong attack and use your palm to mute as necessary for staccato effect. Thin picks thin tin sound, but hey each there own. Jimi Hendrix didn't have a tin sound. At least not to Me.
    Ibanez is O.K. Fine guitar . I would probably trade my strat for a les paul but I would have to play it first for every guitar made has a different feel and sound. Know your own personal instrument is what I say and when you do you can make it do things that transcend any guitar you just happen to pick up and play. You can find the notes that resonate the best with the particular guitar you are playing. I am talking about over tones that only happen with the guitar you are playing. Over Tones that are not readily heard right off the bat, but show up in recordings when you listen to the playbacks of the recordings. This is extremely true when considering an acoustic box type guitar. Now some of the acoustic guitars these days sound brassy to Me . Lacking robust rich sound ringing out more like a bell than a tin can steely like. I like my big box Maple Guild way more than lets say a Taylor guitar, but some of the signature light weight guitars are pretty good resonators with a full rich sound. I have not been sold on the cut away stile boxes though. Although I played a cut away fender today that didn't sound to bad. Still nothing like my guild and the big sound it puts out

23. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Epiphone is a highly under rated guitar and worth consideration. My advice on buying a guitar is test drive each guitar until you find the one that feels right for you. I don't mean show off in the music store rather play single notes and listen for the resonance of the note. Let it ring out and see how long the sustain holds on. Try out the harmonics and see how easy it is to sustain the harmonic. If you get drop off in sound , or if you feel it has a dead sound move on to the next guitar and do the same thing. Buying a guitar is like buying a pair of shoes where as one size does not fit all people even if they are made by the same company.