Gibson or Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by BloodSuckingGerbile, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm not an electric guitarist. I was an acoustic guitar-picking folksinger for 20 years and then switched to electric bass, which I've been playing for 30 years. But Daniel's advice is the best that anybody will ever give you. Get the best axe you can possibly afford. Buy it on credit, beg somebody to give you money, do whatever it takes. (But not crime, do not ever invest a musical instrument with bad karma or you'll be a failure.)

When I was in high school I started out with a cheap guitar because I didn't know any better. I didn't realize how much it was holding me back. Eventually I got a pretty nice Japanese twelve-string and discovered that I could play much better than I thought I could. Then just out of curiosity I walked into a shop and played a Martin 12-string and it was like going to heaven so I bought it. Yet... it wasn't the top of the line. One year later I traded it in on a Martin D-12-35, the "dreadnought." Suddenly I was truly a professional guitarist. The person was always there, it just took a professional axe. (I'm not knocking the D-12-20 for a rhythm guitar but the 35 is better for flat-picking folk-rock solos because of the resonance.)

When one day I screwed around with a bass and discovered that I was born to play bass and just didn't know it (I can be forgiven, there wasn't much bass going on in the 1950s when I started out) I decided this time I was going to get the right instrument for me the first time. It turned out not to be particularly expensive, but it was one I had a good vibe for the first time I saw it. It's a Ventures signature model Mos-Rite and these days it's practically a museum piece. (But then so am I.) I replaced the bridge with a Badass and had it painted purple so it's not even "authentic" any more, but it is ME. My hand lies on it just perfectly, I don't have to hold my thumb against the E string to find my way like so many bassists do. The heft is perfect. (It's really lightweight and I have a bad shoulder so that's very important.) I can play it the old-fashioned way with my thumb, with my fingers, or with a pick, and it swings easily into the perfect position for any of those playing styles. I could never play guitar without looking at the frets but I can do it with this bass.

It doesn't do funk because when it was built in the 1960s the sound that we now call "funk" was called "noise" and basses were deliberately built to suppress it, but I don't do funk either so it's not a problem. I play metal, reggae, salsa, country, folk, whatever. Just no funk but no funk band would hire me anyway.

This is my only axe. I've been playing it for thirty years, I play it very well, and it's all I need.

Buy the right instrument to start with and you'll get off to a better start. Don't waste your time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superduperr1 Registered Member

Umm why don't you test drive some prs guitars I have a custom 24 and I just love it the sound it makes sometimes gives me a female orgasm even though im a guy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Gibson or Ibanez, it really doesn't matter, although a Gibson is going to be expensive. Gibsons quality control has gone downhill, so you're better off finding something older.

When it comes to the sounds, the pickups and amp are what matters most, not so much the brand of guitar. Find some "shredder" style pickups and maybe a Valvestate Marshall amp, and you're go to go.

8. Dub_ Strange loop Registered Senior Member

I'm guessing that he already picked his guitar out about 7 years ago -- when this thread was posted.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Do spend alot for that kind of music. I mean you have the word TRASH in there. That should give you a hint.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Just a comment on acoustics- 1970s solid top Takamines. I have matching, sweet-playing, booming (when you want) 6 and 12-string Martin dreadnought clones (D300, D400) and I love them. I have about $500 invested in the pair.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You forgot to tell us a few important things:

1. What is your budget? ( I will assume at least 5-600$)
    2. What else do you have? (amp, processor)
    3. What is the purpose? (playing for yourself, playing in a band,etc.)

I will assume that this is your first guitar, you have at least 5-600 bucks and you have nothing else as amp or pedal or processor go. But I also assume you have a decent computer with quite OK speakers.

For that much you should buy a guitar for 350-400 and a digital processor for 150-250$. You can use the computer as recording device, and if you pick the right processor, you don't even need an extra drummachine.

Since most of the sound (unless you are a purist) will be generated by the digital processor, the guitar itself is less important. You can get a not great but decent guitar for 400$. There are several brands processors in that range with built in drum, that will give you a blast.

If I were you I would worry about the handling of the guitar (comfortable for you) instead of the sound.

Of course it is possible you have a huge basement without neighbours nearby. Then by a small amp ($150-200 at least) and rock on!!

Korg line effects:

http://www.korg.com/Products.aspx?ct=7

12. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Fender.

Though, I have to admit, I have a Yamaha myself.

13. lolnolol Registered Member

hey i was wondreing if anyone could help me

yo so this is the deal i have been playing acoustic guitars for some time and acoustic only never tried a electric guitar so i am curious. i want to by an electric guitar but dont know how to choose one ive been surfing the net and found out that the ibanez a guitars are quiet popular now i have been playng on Yamaha guitars so i dont know wich one is better in the electric guitar section. now i have big hands (and i am quite tall and big so) so i heard the gibson guitars are quiet comfortable for big hands..... i dont know wat to do can anyone help ibanez/yamaha/gibson which one is better and which one will last longer. PS i like to play hard rock some times classic but majority of times i like to play music like green day coldplay u know pls help in need!!

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Electric guitars hold up better than acoustics for two reasons:
    • 1. The strings are lighter, so you can bend them practically into the next octave. Therefore they don't put as much tension on the body and the neck.
    • 2. The body is solid so it's stronger and much harder to damage.
    I wouldn't worry about an electric guitar wearing out from age. The knobs, jacks and things like that will go eventually, but that's easy to fix.

At the opposite extreme is an acoustic 12-string. I always loosen my strings when I put it away or, even on a Martin, it might warp the neck. Mine's about 45 years old and still good as new. Of course having to tune up a 12-string every time you play it is an arduous job and it can drive you crazy.

15. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Electric guitar is a different animal than acoustic. Requires a different playing technique. (It may sound contradictory, but the louder more aggressive instrument actually requires a lighter touch.) Anyway, I'm a Gibson fan myself, but Ibanez makes a good instrument too. Go to a store and play a few until you find what you like.

16. keith1 Guest

I have a custom Gibson electric for band performance/jamming purposes, but for quick access (waking up in the night with a tune in my head), my Washburn acoustic/electric (with built-in tuner) is both an easy choice for both tinkering, and as an electric performance sound as well.
    Start with an acoustic electric, as it will increase your needed, valuable, and hard-to-schedule (these days) playing time.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Fender has indeed become something of a world standard for rock and roll. If you're not sure what you want, you probably can't go wrong with a Fender.

One advantage is that there are a zillion of them out there. Keep your peepers peeped and you will find a used one in good condition at a very good price.

Most of the electric guitarists I know have at least one Fender, even if it's no longer the one they play most often.

I can't say the same thing for bassists. Most of the bassists I know don't play Fenders. I don't, I have a vintage Mos-Rite.

18. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I'll put my SG up against my Tele anyday in the "weighs less" department.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. John99 Banned Banned

A strat is harder to play, mostly because they dont hide mistakes as easily. But yeah, overall nothing better than a strat and a cranked Marshall.

Oh...Except maybe for: "I need a guitar for heavy/trash/speed metal (mostly). "

20. FlametopFred Registered Member

Gibson or Ibanez? Simple. Both.

Gibson or Ibanez?

Why the correct answer is both.

Go back in time, shop around for a great used guitar.
    Way back when to the heady days of head shops, stoned guitarists and rockin' guitars.

Way back when Ibanez produced guitars that were as good as or better than Gibsons. In fact, they were taken to court because THEY WERE Gibsons.

Snoop around, do some research. These guitars are probably under your nose.
    They may take other names (google this and discover).

But you can have the best of Ibanez and Gibson in one guitar.
    From the 1970's ... vintage. Vintage cool vibe and sonics.

I have an El Maya (Ibanez) L6-S that is as good as or better than the Gibson L6-S I used to own. Gorgeous sounding, playing and feeling.

There are many models to choose from - the old 70's era Ibanez catalogues are online. Scroll around. Do some homework,

then hit the craigslist streets at the corner of eBay and Bargain.

See you next week on stage, sporting a great vintage guitar and drawing women like flies. Or men if you are a girl guitar player. Whatever. You'll soon draw the muse-flame of your choice to the stage you're playing on.

Because you're playing a way cool Gibsonish Ibanez.

Rock on, Rock hard.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  21. John99 Banned Banned

FlametopFred,

He is referring more to the style of the guitar and how it would be suitable for speed metal. I love Japanese guitars and agree with you that they are very good but no one in their right mind would trade a 70s Ibanez for a 70s Gibson Les Paul because they would be out of their minds.

22. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Last night I went to see Al Di Meola with his World Symphonia Band. I must say I've always respected Al as a musician but have always been keener on Pat Metheny's sense of melody; Al's style is awesome but very dry. Anyway, digressing.

He played an acoustic guitar all night but get this, not only was the guitar electrified it appeared to also have midi. Seamlessly he played natural sounding acoustic that changed to hard electric went back to acoustic and in subtle moments triggered an ethereal synth sound playing in unison with the acoustic. The result was superb, in fact it sounded as though Chic Corea was playing some of his lines in the background very reminiscent of Return to Forever days.

The point I'm trying to make is that as you are used to an acoustic guitar and are obviously comfortable with it why not simply electrify it with a high end pickup and enjoy the best of both worlds?

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Like this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuY0_JCHaF4