Giant Ribbon Discovered at the Edge of Solar System

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Acitnoids, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Acitnoids Registered Senior Member

The IBEX homepage has finally been updated! It now has an interactive schematic highlighting the top six candidates for explaining this mysterious feature. My last post was regarding the first paper published. Just because it was the first explanation does not mean it is the best explanation. The cool thing is that it walks you through each of the six possible explanations using as much detail as you choose. It's perfect for the layman or the researcher. Take a look for yourself.
    www.ibex.swri.edu/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. THEO-007 Registered Member

The IBEX is great

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MeMe1 Registered Member

A neutronic mash(nemesis star) that is waste generated by the formation of the solar system out to uranus all the unigited particals dead neutrons which orbit the solar system every 250 million years.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

I must admit, when I came here, I precepted a such phenomenon. Unluckily I was draged in and so I ate it. To make you understand this, I left a giant bone there. I suppose I was still in preexistence at that current time. ATM I am the real axis, and so I shall rest now...
    So shall we say; until next time?

8. Acitnoids Registered Senior Member

After months of anticipation the IBEX web sight was finally updated on Aug. 17, 2010. Unfortunately they are not releasing any new heliospheric sky maps at this time eventhough they stated in the original release that they could create a new set of sky maps every six months. Well, its been ten months sense the first set of maps were released and seven months sense the last update. Dave McComas, IBEX principal investigator, insured us that they "will be telling (us) about the next outer heliospheric sky maps very soon, but just to let (us) in on the big news IBEX is observing time evolution in the heliospheres interstellar interaction!"
    This update focuses on IBEXs observations of the interaction between the Suns solar wind and the Earths magnetosphere. It is interesting to note (but not suprizing) that, like the heliosphere, the Earths upper magnetosphere (which is called the magnetopause) also creates ENAs and, like the first set of heliospheric sky maps, these are the first of their kind.
    Click on an IBEX link in one of my posts above to see for yourself. Hopefully they won't wait another seven months before they decide to fill the public in on their observations. Will the giant ribbon structure still dominate the sky maps or has it faded away over the past year. Stay tuned for more updates.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  9. Acitnoids Registered Senior Member

Update: September 30, 2010
    The newest IBEX heliosphere maps were released yesterday :yay: . The first set of maps were recorded between Dec 25, 2008 and June 18, 2009. The second set of maps (released yesterday) were recorded between June 18, 2009 and Dec 10, 2009.
    "The large-scale structure is generally stable between both sets of maps meaning the overall sky pattern of ENAs and the ribbion are still there."
    What the IBEX team is now observing is the "remarkable changes" of the evolving ribbion structure over the six month timescale between maps. The mission scientists expected that any highs and lows in intensity arising from the supposed billion-mile thick region, where the ENAs are thought to be created, would be "hopelessly smeared out" in IBEX's all-sky maps. Instead they observed variations and changes. The IBEX site says: "These early results hint that the solar wind and the interstellar medium might be interacting in a thinner layer than many imagined."
    The IBEX spacecraft saw a lower number of ENAs in the second set of maps. Nobody knows why but they think "it may have something to do with the lower amount of solar wind that has been flowing outward for the past several years."
    My last post may have been a bit critical of the outflow of new information but I realize, sometimes it takes patients when dealing with the unknown. This spacecraft is teaching us new things that nobody had ever considered before. If you check out the IBEX website, via one of the links in this thread, it shows comparisons between both sets of maps along with links to their published work (not to mention a more detailed explanation than what I've given here). When it comes to understanding the suns local enviroment, it doesn't get more cutting edge than this. As more data is collected it will bring us closer to understanding how our suns "magnetic bubble" interacts with our local region of the milky way. This truely is a great time to be alive.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  10. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Ugh. The ribbon is the buffer between "the speed the solar system rotates" and "the speed the galaxial arm of the Milky Way rotates".

11. keith1 Guest

Advanced societies deliver pulsed hyper-speed messages along thin neutral atom ribbons?
    Courtesy: ScienceNews

12. Acitnoids Registered Senior Member

Can you please cite the link from where you paraphrased these quotes?
    And here I was convinced that this ribbon structure was a sure fire sighn of the impending 2012 apocalypse.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!