Ghost In The Shell

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by sderenzi, Dec 10, 2006.

1. sderenzi Banned Banned

I see a future when the entire human race is part of the internet, where people and ideas are exchanged at lightspeed to bring about instantanious societal changes. For those who've seen Ghost In The Shell this concept is difficult to grasp, mostly because it requires we accept the interweb is growing at an alarming rate. Currently we have online Blogs, more are moving from text to video-based systems of communication. What we see is that each person on this world is developing their own ONLINE personality, another entity all it's own. We now do things based on our normal day-to-day routine but what happens when this changes and the internet becomes the determining factor of our choices?

When I began searching YouTube.com I was finding an increasing number of personal footage, aside from this I found hundreds of comments for videos that most would've simply ignored 4 years ago. With highspeed begining to dominate the online experience exactly what is not possible?

More importantly we must ask ourselves in 10 years, at this rate, what will be the changes experienced on this world? Might humanity forever join with the internet as a means of communication?

An example could be headset cellular phones, people actually wearing telephones as if they're part of their being. What occurs when the human brain can be directly integrated into the internet? Will our personalities forever change, will degrees and diplomas become pointless with an ability to create a vast database of medical techniques as real to someone as the sun shining?

Will mental viruses come into existance based on those who have cybernetics?

These questions alarm me, but more then that they draw me nearer towards the answer.