Ghost caught on Dover Castle CCTV

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Magical Realist, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

An image superimposed over film ISN'T "a transparent humanoid apparition crossing the road." It's not crossing anything. It's just a 2D image superimposed on film. But then we knew that didn't we?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You play very loosely with the word "fact", don't ya...

I dare say this is more of the same that has gotten you in trouble in the past... and i've no intention of stepping between you and the firing squad this time

Godspeed

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

And that one is clearly an insect. (I was going to say 'bug', but that could be misconstrued..)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

It doesn't have to be transparent and it doesn't have to be humanoid. Your own quote says that. And, of course, it doesn't have to be crossing a road: your OP video was indoors. You are arguing against yourself.

Not sure what you mean by "An image superimposed over film" though. I don't think any of the examples we're discussing utilized film. Which one are you referring to?

8. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I say "bug" because I don't want any quibbles over whether it is an arachnid.

9. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Still ignoring inconvenient evidence, MR?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Are you threatening MR with banning because he believes in ghosts?

11. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

That's not what I read. I read he's threatening MR with banning because he's intellectually dishonest. It has been explained to him over and over again (and you should know by now as well): it is ok to believe in ghosts, but it is not ok to be intellectually dishonest.

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Uh what?
    That reads nothing like a ban threat.
    It's a notification of withdrawal of support for MR if/ when someone else proposes banning him.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not at all

Close, but not quite.

Right on the money. Simply put, I'm not going to put myself between him and anyone who takes umbrage with his claims anymore.

I'm all for belief in the unexplained... my own experiences notwithstanding, I'm not foolish enough to think we know enough about the universe to say such things are completely beyond the realm of possibility. HOWEVER, such claims MUST have evidence worthy of the claim - video of "something that looks vaguely like a shadowy smudge" is not evidence - it's video of a vaguely shadowy smudge. Sight is perhaps the single easiest sense to fool, yet we are so dependent upon it that we will accept as fact what we see even if it makes no sense.

Is what is in MR's video a ghost? Possibly - I can't say with 100% certainty it isn't, because I'm not there to investigate it. What I can say is that there is also a host of other much more mundane explanations that could fit; insect on the lens (not the shroud, the lens), issue with the CMOS or CCD image sensor, speck of dust falling between the two lenses, et al.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not at all

Close, but not quite.

Right on the money. Simply put, I'm not going to put myself between him and anyone who takes umbrage with his claims anymore.

I'm all for belief in the unexplained... my own experiences notwithstanding, I'm not foolish enough to think we know enough about the universe to say such things are completely beyond the realm of possibility. HOWEVER, such claims MUST have evidence worthy of the claim - video of "something that looks vaguely like a shadowy smudge" is not evidence - it's video of a vaguely shadowy smudge. Sight is perhaps the single easiest sense to fool, yet we are so dependent upon it that we will accept as fact what we see even if it makes no sense.

Is what is in MR's video a ghost? Possibly - I can't say with 100% certainty it isn't, because I'm not there to investigate it. What I can say is that there is also a host of other much more mundane explanations that could fit; insect on the lens (not the shroud, the lens), issue with the CMOS or CCD image sensor, speck of dust falling between the two lenses, et al.

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

My mistake.

@Kittamaru.
    Couldn't you half support him?

Who will we depend on for quality ghost threads if MR gets banned?

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Of course it isn't a ghost. It's an UNFO.
    (unidentified non-flying object.)
    But why get annoyed because someone believes it to be one.
    Believing in the Dover Castle Ghost is no more unreasonable than someone believing in the Hindu God Ganesh, for example.

17. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Just to be clear, I glossed over the "threat" issue because I think KC was more concerned with the "why", which is what I responded to. The "why" has caused its own issues in the past. But I agree that that wasn't technically a threat.

18. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

As I was saying:
    As I just said, we're not annoyed because he believes in ghosts, we're annoyed with his intellectual dishonesty. It is baffling that you need to have this explained to you over and over again.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wanna try again?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It's a ghost!

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yeah.
    A fly came out to inspect area. Saw nothing..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Nope... watch the end of the video... it shows that its a spider out of focus.!!!

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

OMG!
    The ghost takes over a spider's body?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.