George Floyd trial,could you make a case for the defendant not being guilty of the charges?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Seattle, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

If you say so...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Next up, perhaps starting tomorrow

How long will deliberations take?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Two days.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Put me down for 1 or 4

1 we already made up our minds over the weekend

4 we have a hold out

8. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

He was not told to stick his hands out of the window, he was told to exit the vehicle. That's resistance, in a felony stop with heavily tinted windows.
    One cop was fired to appease the mob.

That's exactly what he said on cross, same as direct, you just didn't managed to notice the prosecution trying to reframe his answers. Like I said, you're easily duped.

No, the threat was from the hostile crowd, which was taking up a significant part of the officers' attention, including the one across the street, as he testified. What, members of the angry crowd who exasperated the problem put all the blame on the police? Who'd a thunk it?

He did not comply with repeated orders to exit the vehicle. That's resisting. Well-lit area or not, the tint on the vehicle was still enough that they couldn't see the paper tag in the window, much less his race (couldn't be racial profiling), other possible occupants, weapons, etc.. The officer was fired as a political ploy to appease the mob. Much like firing the city manager who said the officer who shot Daunte Wright should get due process.

Then they should quit resisting legal orders from police, just like Nazario did. So anyone who gets fired must be in the wrong? Every firing is completely justified? That's pretty naive.

That's literally the defense's job. To introduce any and all available reasonable doubt and see which one adheres to which jurors. Your incredulity implies you don't understand the basics of criminal trials.

It's not his character, it's his actions and pattern of behavior. No one has said Floyd was an evil man.

You've proven your opinions to be worthlessly void of facts.

I'm sure they did, until he repeatedly refused to follow orders, which is resisting. A cop facing a heavily tinted vehicle has to wonder what he's trying to hide by not complying. It's a matter of their training and survival.

9. Bells Staff Member

Oh please.. Now you are being as pathetic as the numbskull who suggested Floyd died because of the car exhaust.

You realise the entire thing was caught on tape, right? And that the crowd were begging them to check his pulse when he lost consciousness. The crowd wasn't rowdy. They weren't threatening. They were begging the officers to check his pulse. They didn't even move their fat arses off Floyd after the paramedics arrived and refused to move to let them treat him, just as they refused to tell the fire department where the ambulance was headed, causing even more delay in providing Floyd care. If they were so concerned about the crowd, Chauvin could have gotten up, off Floyd's neck to deal with the crowd. When Floyd was found to have no pulse, one of the other officers suggested they roll Floyd over. Chauvin refused.

And yeah, for half the time he had his knee down on Floyd's neck, Chauvin had both his hands down his pockets and was casually looking around, chatting with the other officers.

I mean, what other bullshit are people going to come up with to excuse murder? Chauvin dragged Floyd out of the back of a police car he had been placed in, while handcuffed, to kneel on his neck until he died and still refused to move.

But you do you..

After all, white supremacists have to white supremacists..

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

He dragged him out of the car? They couldn't get him to stay in the car. Black supremacists have to keep up the black thing I guess. You do that well.

11. Bells Staff Member

I linked a video earlier in the thread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/us/george-floyd-investigation.html (from around 3:40 into the video)

Floyd is placed in the back of the police car on the side of the curb after a brief struggle. Chauvin had just arrived and opened the other door of the police car. He is then dragged completely across the backseat of the car and dragged out the other side of the car by Chauvin and put on the road and is then knelt on.

Black thing?

What black thing would that be, Seattle? Do you have an issue with black people being disgusted with white supremacists supporting police killing black people in the US? Is that the black thing I am keeping up?

I mean, the racism is quite casual with you, isn't it?

12. Thus Spoke Registered Senior Member

Are you saying that he said that he couldn't breath even before the officer put his knee on him?

13. Thus Spoke Registered Senior Member

He behaved in the same fashion in this 2019 video.

Vociferous likes this.
  14. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Except for the video showing a guy being held back and a guy yelling "I swear I'll slap the f*** out of both of you". You must have missed those.
    Not to mention all the officers, including the one across the street, and the EMTs all determining it was an unsafe scene.

"Refused?" Where's you're evidence of that?
    Norton, the fire department EMT, told attorneys that when he arrived he began looking for the person he was called to help. He entered Cup Foods — the store where the 911 call had first been initiated — and had a brief exchange with people in the store.

He then received word from dispatchers that paramedics were in the ambulance several blocks away. Norton told attorneys that he arrived at the ambulance at about 8:37 p.m. — roughly 11 minutes after paramedics had requested backup medical help.
    https://apnews.com/article/how-long...george-floyd-4311fb3090f071c5c2f838a6f14e5d58

No mention of the fire department EMT having any interaction with police on the scene.

Unless locked in a car, or a cell within the police facilities, arrestees are never left unguarded, and with a potentially unsafe scene, physical contact was necessary to allow situational awareness of the crowd. This is all very basic stuff.

Okay, which officer? At what timestamp in the full body cam video? www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkEGGLu_fNU
    Oh wait, you prefer to watch low quality and obscured cctv footage with wholly speculative commentary...and zero audio.

Another lie, or you're just ignorant of the truth.
    Fact check: Derek Chauvin did not have hand in his pocket while kneeling on George Floyd
    While a quick look at the image gives the impression Chauvin's left hand was in his pocket, a closer inspection of the image and review of video footage shows Chauvin is wearing dark colored gloves, which have blended in with his black uniform pants.​

You mean other than all the ignorant bullshit you're spinning to condemn him?
    Check the video again: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkEGGLu_fNU

When Floyd comes out the other side, it's with a force (quickly slammed into Chauvin's body cam) that a 180lb Chauvin couldn't have pulled the 220lb Floyd, especially when the video shows Chauvin didn't have a grip on him at the time. The only likely scenario being that Floyd shoved himself back against Chauvin, still attempting to keep from being locked in the car.

Defending a police officer with the facts doesn't make someone white supremacist. You presuming it does, based on nothing but the defender's race, does make you the racist. I suppose you think this is a racist too: https://twitter.com/realcandaceo/status/1370136836891377665

See your aforementioned penchant for crappy, obscured, and edited video over the full body cam footage.
    You have to work real hard to avoid things that may contradict what you imagine happened.

I have a problem with anyone slandering others, e.g. "white supremacists" or "supporting police killing black people", based solely on the color of their skin. You know, being a piece of shit racist.
    If it isn't based solely on the color of their skin, what is it? Just disagreeing with you makes someone a racist?

Nope, you literally outed yourself as a racist here:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

His own worst enemy

16. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

I don't think that something to smile/be happy about. Self-destructive behavior is pretty sad, IMO.

17. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Correction, Ahmad Al Aliwi Al-Issa was a Syrian Muslim, not white. And he surrendered, after being shot in the leg, and did not resist after being taken into custody.
    Compare that to a man, of any color, who resisted showing his hands, getting out of the vehicle, being cuffed, and being put in a squad car, while having heart disease, severely occluded major arteries, three times the lethal dose of fentanyl, and had already overdosed twice on similar drugs.

18. Bells Staff Member

According to the law in your country, he actually is white. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitions_of_whiteness_in_the_United_States#Arab_Americans] The fact that people had to fight for citizenship in this way in your country says a lot..

Anywho..

Meet Luke Alvin Oeltjenbruns..

He dragged a police officer with his truck and struck him with a hammer while resisting arrest.

He wasn't shot or tasered.

Oh no, I watched the entire videos.

From all angles.

The crowd was never a problem. They did not call for back-up to deal with the apparently dangerous crowd as they murdered Floyd. In fact, they looked quite casual throughout the whole thing. In fact, in the incident report by the fire department, they clearly said that there was a small crowd and that they were not unruly.

From the Fire Department incident report:

E17 was started code-two to assist EMS on a call, then updated to code-three. Pre-arrival info stated only that pt had trauma to his mouth. E17 arrived at Cup Foods (38th & Chicago) with multiple squads on scene and small crowd of citizens. As 17s attempted to locate the patient, the crew overheard and was told by several people that the police 'had killed the man.' Bystanders were upset but not unruly. No clear info on pt or location was given by either initial pd officers or bystanders. Crew finally located an officer inside the store who stated HCMC medics had loaded the patient and relocated from the scene. E17 encountered an off-duty firefighter who had witnessed the end of the struggle and witnessed the pt go from struggling to unresponsive on the ground while handcuffed and subdued by PD. Dispatch notified E17 that medics needed Fire code-three, and E17 relocated to 36th & Park Ave.

Two crew members got in ambulance. Medics had Lucas device working on an unresponsive, pulseless male. Pt had advanced airway secured; E17 took over ventilations and also assisted medics getting IV and meds prepared. Crew accompanied medics to HCMC STAB room, continuing w/ ministrations. Medics performed pulse checks several times, finding none, and delivered one shock by their monitor. Pt's condition did not change. E17 helped get pt into STAB room, continuing ventilations until relieved by ER staff
    .​

They asked and the police did not give them any information at all and they would have known where the ambulance was headed. This delayed help and care by several minutes.

So do you want to try again? Or are you done making up excuses?

Really?

This police officer pulled a gun on someone he thought looked the same as another person he thought was speeding earlier in the day, and then realised he was being filmed and left the person he had pulled over and pulled a gun on as his hands were up in the air, to attack a man on his front porch for filming said police officer pulling a gun on someone in his own driveway. [https://www.chicagotribune.com/la-me-ln-david-mclaughlin-vallejo-police-20190205-story.html]

Very basic stuff, no?

Floyd was in the police car. Chauvin dragged him across the back seat and knelt on his neck until he died from lack of oxygen and even when there was no pulse, he still refused to budge from his neck. There were several other police officers there. One even asked Chauvin that they should roll Floyd over after he had stopped breathing and had no pulse. Chauvin said no. His hands were in his pocket for most of the time he was kneeling on his neck.

Fire crew who responded advised the crowd was upset but not unruly.

So I have to ask, why are you being so dishonest about this? How low are you willing to go with this?

19. Bells Staff Member

I'll amend my earlier comment. One of the officers asked twice if he should be moved as Floyd was clearly in distress and Chauvin said no. Floyd died shortly after. They still did not move from their position.

From the criminal complaint:

The defendant pulled Mr. Floyd out of the passenger side of the squad car at 8:19:38 p.m. and Mr. Floyd went to the ground face down and still handcuffed. Kueng held Mr. Floyd’s back and Lane held his legs. The defendant placed his left knee in the area of Mr. Floyd’s head and neck. Mr. Floyd said, “I can’t breathe” multiple times and repeatedly said, “Mama” and “please,” as well. The defendant and the other two officers stayed in their positions.

The officers said, “You are talking fine” to Mr. Floyd as he continued to move back and forth. Lane asked, “should we roll him on his side?” and the defendant said, “No, staying put where we got him.” Officer Lane said, “I am worried about excited delirium or whatever.” The defendant said, “That’s why we have him on his stomach.” None of the three officers moved from their positions.

BWC video shows Mr. Floyd continue to move and breathe. At 8:24:24, Mr. Floyd stopped moving. At 8:25:31 the video appears to show Mr. Floyd ceasing to breathe or speak. Lane said, “want to roll him on his side.” Kueng checked Mr. Floyd’s right wrist for a pulse and said, “I couldn’t find one.” None of the officers moved from their positions

Tell me, when he stopped breathing and his heart stopped, was he still resisting arrest? Because they did not move or provide him with assistance for around 2 more minutes, as he lay there, dead.

My bad. He was resting his hands on his legs.

Does this make it excusable to you?

Did you watch the video and read the actual complaint against him? No?

Clearly says in the criminal complaint against him and shows in the video I linked in a previous post, that Chauvin dragged him across the back seat and out onto the road.

In the video you linked, at around 9:48 onwards, you literally see them drag him out the passenger side door. As supported in the criminal complaint against Chauvin.
    Did you just quote Candace Owens as proof of lack of racism?

Particularly one where she was so spectacularly wrong?

Is this meant to be a joke?
    The video you linked also shows him dragging Floyd out of the passenger side door. The criminal complaint filed in court also states the same thing.

Try harder.

You have shown your racism multiple times on this site Vociferous.

Remember when you sneered at me for being a foreigner while you whined that people were poo pooing the Confederate flag? How about when you decided to throw down this response to my saying the Confederate flag being flown by white supremacists also flying the the Swastika was bad and racist:

Literally.. I was discussing white supremacists flying those flags and that was your response.

Wait, you mean this thread wasn't a bunch of white people trying to figure out how to make a case for Chauvin not being guilty?

20. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Yet Trump was accused of racism for suspending entry into the US from Arab countries (so called Muslim ban), including Syria.
    Several scholars consider Islamophobia to be a form of xenophobia or racism. A 2007 article in Journal of Sociology defines Islamophobia as anti-Muslim racism and a continuation of anti-Asian, anti-Turkic and anti-Arab racism.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia#Racism
    And many Arabs do not consider themselves white:
    https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-census-middle-east-north-africa-race/
    https://apnews.com/article/a25b5d977a5049d6a9038a536cc7129a

Officer was obviously in the line of fire, likely couldn't bring a weapon to bear, and we don't see what happens when the guy is taken into custody. If an officer had a clear shot, while the man was a threat, they would have been justified in taking it. Floyd wasn't shot or tased either.

So an officer protectively standing between Chauvin and the crowd and Chauvin pulling out his mace is completely casual?
    Again, did you see the man being held back and hear the guy say "I swear I'll slap the f*** out of both of you"?
    Did you hear the trial testimony from both the paramedic and the officer across the street both saying the scene was not safe?

After the ambulance had left with Floyd. That's not when the officers and ambulance crew considering the scene too unsafe to treat Floyd on site.
    The fire department wasn't dispatched until 2 minutes after they loaded Floyd into the ambulance and left. https://apnews.com/article/how-long...george-floyd-4311fb3090f071c5c2f838a6f14e5d58

Did the officers even know where the ambulance was? How could they know it stop several blocks away? The fire dept EMT only found that out from the dispatcher. https://apnews.com/article/how-long...george-floyd-4311fb3090f071c5c2f838a6f14e5d58

Ahem, you're the one who has proven not to be aware of the facts behind at least half your claims.

What kind of bullshit non sequitur is this?
    The motorcyclist hadn't been taken into custody, wasn't an "arrestee", and barring any other info, that cop wrongly detained the filming man.
    Try to find something that actually fits what I said next time.

To pull him into the car, not out of it. Floyd pushed out the other side and immediately asked to be laid on the ground. Try watching the video with both eyes and the sound on next time.

Both already refuted.

You should ask yourself that question.

21. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Like paramedics, police do not render aid in an unsafe environment.

No, his hands on his legs had nothing to do with whether he's guilty of any of the charges. Why on Earth would it?
    Try to make sense, please.

Yes.

Criminal complaints are only alleged facts. Hence the due process.

At 9:50 in that video, Chauvin only has one hand on Floyd. Are you saying the 180lb Chauvin yanked the 220lb Floyd that hard with one hand?
    And then immediately lost any grip of Floyd? Man, the mental gymnastics you put yourself through. Chauvin must be super human, huh?

You didn't answer the question. Is she a racist too? If not, then it's obvious you are, as you apply that to people based solely on their skin color. If she is, how? If you're not a vile, hypocritical racist, that should be a simple question to answer. And if you avoid it, you've proven yourself a racist.

Try something other than an opinion piece next time.
    Also, try learning the difference between a medical finding of homicide and the criminal charge of homicide. Two different things, and the former doesn't necessarily equate to the latter.

No, it doesn't, as already refuted.

If that's your evidence for racism, you have nothing but your own fevered imagination. I never complained about anything but the hasty generalization of everyone flying the Confederate flag being a racist. And you being a foreigner directly speaks to you having no clue about how actual southerners feel.

Quit lying. You were making the hasty generalization that "one is usually accompanied by the other", and I called out your dishonest cherry-picking.

No, it was a bunch of people, discussing their views on the facts of the case. You could have been just another one of those people, if you hadn't exposed your racism by making it about the race of those in the conversation. That makes you a bad person.

22. candy Valued Senior Member

Don't you find it questionable that he is saying "get up and get in the car" for the recording while he has his knee on the victim's neck preventing him from getting up?

23. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I mean you don't like it when I refer to something as the black thing (quite rightly, I did it on purpose) but you throw the white supremacist thing around quite easily. Not just in general but you have no problem labeling everyone you disagree with that way. You know, that's your black thing I guess.

It's all about skin color after all, right? So everything you do must be a black thing. I mean, because you're black. Should we refer to you as the black moderator. Your opinions are what? Black opinions? Aren't you tired of throwing these terms around?