George Carlin dies @ 71

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by madanthonywayne, Jun 23, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

George Carlin has died -- RIP

Carlin has just died at age 71. I watched his latest HBO special about 2 month ago, it was funny as usual and right on target. He was an atheist, he made fun of religious beliefs in his stand up routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRCKoT1HY3U

RIP George....

http://www.reuters.com/article/mediaNews/idUSN2341233220080623

"Carlin told Playboy in 2005 that he looked forward to an afterlife where he could watch the decline of civilization on a "heavenly CNN."

"The world is a big theater-in-the round as far as I'm concerned, and I'd love to watch it spin itself into oblivion," he said. "Tune in and watch the human adventure."

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

RIP george carlin

=/ totally bummed out, I really liked him as a person and a comedian. He died due to heart failure.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Geroge Carlin is dead

Damn, i liked him.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

"Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money." -- George Carlin

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

“The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A Death! What’s that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you’re too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work. You work forty years until you’re young enough to enjoy your retirement. You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating…and you finish off as an orgasm!”

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Very sad to hear of his passing. I've enjoyed him in person as well as on Youtube. His comedy will always be remembered by those who enjoyed his sense of humor. I'll miss his wit and wisdom, I'll miss him. Goodby George you sure knew alot of shit about fucked up crap that assholes do in this world!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My Mom was a mess when John Wayne died. If my dad were still alive, he would be just as devastated. I grew up hiding behind the door listening to my Dad's records of Carlin.
    sad sad sad

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

this sucks. i met the man in person at a book signing. Funny man and just an average guy.

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

"If you think there is a solution, you're part of the problem."

I haven't felt this sad since Kurt Vonnegut passed.

14. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

What a brilliant human being he was. One of a few people who could really make you question things. My prayers are with his family, who will surely have a gaping hole where he filled it with such insight and razor sharp wit.

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Damn. I miss his cynicism and his wit, really.

I'm going to go watch all his youtube videos as part of a weird and twisted tribute.

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Oh that sucks!! The first time I rented one of his videos I was in tears.
    He was hilarious.....

17. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: There will be less side-splitting laughter in the world from now on.

18. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Great comedian and incredible person. I grew up listening to him. It's got me pretty bummed out.

19. kmguru Staff Member

Rest In Peace Master Carlin...thanks for all the stuff...

20. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

A terrible loss on many levels.

Unabashed insightful candour and yet always cripplingly funny.

The world is about to get so much more dangerously serious....

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Am I the only one stunned to find out he was 71? Am I the only one who suddenly feels very old?

22. Fathoms Banned Banned

I'm just 25 and I have to admit that I never really thought of George Carlin as "old". He retained a vitality and urgancy of message into his later years, it wasn't as though he had retired into the sunset to fade away or anything. 71 isn't as ancient as it used to be.

I only ever really dabbled into into his work (I have his ironically titled Life is Worth Losing dvd) but it seems to me as though his legacy is as lengthy as it is substantial. His voice will be dearly missed.

23. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member