Genius

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by goofyfish, Feb 22, 2002.

1. jjhlk Guest

"How? Is it like a pH test or voltage test or amp test or pregnency test? If we can not agree on the definition of Intelligence, how does the test help? can a person who is blind or deaf take the test? What does that measure?....."

Ah thats right! We dip some paper in you and if it's red --- Genius!

Blind or deaf people could take the test with some help.. Blind, deaf, mute, people who are completely numb could have some problems!

The IQ (intelligence quotient) test measures your IQ: The ratio of tested mental age to chronological age, usually expressed as a quotient multiplied by 100.

"Intelligence is ability to retain and analyze information."

Sounds good to me.

When we talk about intelligence I think it means pure ability to think. The test will not measure creativity, etc...

Edit:

I don't think creativity should be included as part of the definition of intelligence.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

Ah thats right! We dip some paper in you and if it's red --- Genius!

Now you are talking....and I thought the universe will reveal its secret...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"Intelligence is ability to retain and analyze information."

I agree with the sentence but have a problem with what comes after. You see, a lot of people can retain data but not the associative information. Then comes the analysis part. How can you measure who can analyze better? No test I know of can measure information in multidimension. Then there is degrees. Some can do well in 3 or 4 layers while others can go up to 6 or 8.

The reason I bring this up is that, I am involved in a project that has over 500 dimensions. We are trying to reduce it to a managegable 64. But then it will be difficult to analyze because we may miss out stuff. Even at 64, we need basically a mainframe to handle the data.

Then the part where information is lacking. Yet people have discovered all kinds of stuff under such limited conditions. Then there is the time factor. Is not being slow and correct (methodical - by the book) is better than fast and half assed...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Perhaps my sentance needs expression too. Intelligence seems also include people who can take a complicated idea and form a simple description of it for those less intelligent.

"How can you measure who can analyze better?"

Puzzles. Pattern recognition. Mathematical problems which represent the cultural difference of taker. Word problems.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Does not work. We hired high scorerers in psyc test that included these tests for our "data analysts" positions - they could not associate real life situations with the math or puzzle, even after training. Too many variables overwhelmed them.

8. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Someone who thinks of something I wish I had thought of first is a genius.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

genius- a highly creative mind that isn't afraid or shy about his ideas and believes in himself.

10. Meowdar Registered Member

I agree that a genius can construe otherwise complex information into something lucid for the average person, but can't anyone? What makes a genius a genius is the ability to perform the mentioned feat consistently and frequently. I think the IQ test is relevant for discerning genius, but not for everyone.
    Do genii have higher encephalization quotients than the average person?

11. Johnny D Registered Member

gen·ius
    n. pl. gen·ius·es

1.) Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
    2.) A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: “One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius” (Simone de Beauvoir).
    3.) A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.
    4.) A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
    5.) One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
    6.) The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
    pl. ge·ni·i (jn-) Roman Mythology. A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
    7.) A person who has great influence over another.
    8.) A jinni in Muslim mythology.

My personal thoughts/ideas/opinions aren't important right now - I have to go. Later.

12. jjhlk Guest

I think some of you are putting too much thought into the word 'genius'. I'm pretty sure that genius is just a technical term for someone with high intellect. (which is >135 on the IQ test..)

13. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

High IQ doesn't mean high intellect.

It's all just semantics, but a genius to me is someone who utterly creates their own reality and has the courage and ability to live in that reality. A leap of faith towards one self.

ooo, I like that.

-Xenu