Genetically perplexed!

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by kachmach, Dec 1, 2002.

1. kachmach Registered Member

Hi:

Here is my problem that is disturbing me for quite some time now:

I want to marry my first cousin (the daughter of my mom's sister) but there seem to be some genetic problems running in the family. I stammer, my brother stammers, her father and brother stammer (her mother and father are also first cousins), at least three of my maternal first cousins stammer (5 out of a total of 54 maternal first cousins).

My question is that if I marry her, how much are the chances of our children being stutterers?

Anxiously waiting for your answer.

Genetically perplexed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Stuttering is the least of your problems, if you want to marry your cousin.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sorry, but it had to be said. I know such close marriages of kin are accepted in some cultures.

One of my textbooks gives probabilities of such things occuring based on how close you are related and all, but I can't find it, sorry.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

I've seen a couple of recent studies that show, though I can't remember where, that the odds of genetic disease with the breeding of first cousins is very low.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Odds of major deformity are low unless your recent ancestors have been inbreeding as well. Chances of tuttering would be above average JUST BECAUSE YOU DO (learned behavior in part) but that can be dealt with through speach therapy. I stutter but I deal with it.

You would have to be on guard for genetic anomalies such as albinoism because the mating of two cousins doubles your chances. (at least in rats; im a breeder)

I would recomend adopting but getting a child the natural way wouldnt be TOO dangerous. A heck of a lot safer than the wife drinking or smoking while pregnant.

8. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

i agree with Adam.

9. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Stammering..is that genetic, environtmental, or both? I'd think both but i can't be sure..

Clockwood you breed rats? Interesting

Oh yeah! kachmach, welcome to sciforums

10. spookz Banned Banned

welcome

ask your cousin to join as well

11. kachmach Registered Member

Thanks people for your help, but the problem is that I still am perplexed.

Adam: Cousin marriages are acceptable not in SOME culture, but MOST cultures of the world.

Clockwood: I do stutter but can deal with it in most situations. So I don't think learned behavior would be a major problem.

NenarTronian: Thanks for the welcome. I reckon stuttering is more of a genetic problem than a learned one.

Once again, thanks everybody.

kachmach