Genetic Memory

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by The God, Mar 12, 2017.

1. The God Valued Senior Member

I have read (no first hand encounter) about few people who had some memory of their past life.

If that is true and assuming that it is true...then it suggests that such acquired memory can be transferred to next generation. May be those people got it just by accident and one day would we be able to decipher such accidental mechanism and master this memory transfer.

Can we foresee a child...a computer whizkid on his birth?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

It suggests some people will believe anything

Sounds very like those people would also believe that medication diluted to such an extent that you would be lucky to find one atom of the medication in any dose issued

The explanation of the pedlers of this rubbish claim the water has memory which explains why it works

If if if water has memory why doesn't it remember the salts from the bladder it passed through?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The God Valued Senior Member

The OP is not meant to discuss that.

Is it possible that acquired memory with no restrain can be genetically transferred?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

No

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

This is not science, you put this in the wrong section. Reported to move this to the correct section.

9. The God Valued Senior Member

Why this is not science?

The information passes from one generation to the next generation. The question is whether acquired memory (type of information) can somehow reach sperm or egg cells and thus pass on to next generation.

PS: if you can make some positive contribution, then you are most welcome. Otherwise please desist from derailing my threads, let the Mods decide what is science and what is not.

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I opened this thread in hopes that it really was about genetic memory, like the ability of a bird to make a nest that is identical to others of its species without learning how.
    Instead I read 'memories from a past life'. Pffft.

11. The God Valued Senior Member

Then you shd read the OP again.

Pl see the link below. If something acquired can be transmitted then further research can create a software whizkid.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25156510

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I checked the link provided

The example given seems to indicate a chemical change being made to the DNA

I consider this to be a long stretch to call it (the chemical change) memory

It has been shown when persons indulge in chemical experimentation changes are made to brain structure

Sperm cells are also affected

The now defective sperm does produce defective children

Again this is not considered memory

I have never heard or read about the memory of someone affecting changes to sperm

While my time spent working with mentally ill patients who recalled past lives was brief I do know that of all of the cases which could be reasonable fact checked none past

So I am confident my no answer stands correct and you can add for good measure I am confident none of the 7 + billion of the Earth's population have had a past life or have acquired memories from their parents or any ancestors going all the way back to Mr and Mrs Blob

13. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Some people are dubious of reported effect.
    Some people find the results statistically anomalous so are dubious of the methodology.
    I found no replication studies yet published so this is the work of just one team.

http://www.nature.com/news/fearful-memories-haunt-mouse-descendants-1.14272
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2014/10/16/inherited-too-good-to-be-true/
    http://www.genetics.org/content/198/2/449

“How could the findings of Dias and Ressler (2014) have been so positive with such low odds of success? Perhaps there were unreported experiments that did not agree with the theoretical claims; perhaps the experiments were run in a way that improperly inflated the success and type I error rates, which would render the statistical inferences invalid. Researchers can unintentionally introduce these problems with seemingly minor choices in data collection, data analysis, and result interpretation. Regardless of the reasons, too much success undermines reader confidence that the experimental results represent reality.”

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  14. The God Valued Senior Member

Let us not vouch for anything dubious. Is there any concrete argument that such acquired memory cannot be transferred through genetic means?

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

You would not consider this from your original post

as being dubious???

I doubt very much such argument would take place for the simple reason no one would be prepared to argue such a proposition

If you have EVIDENCE the MEMORY of someone affecting physical structure of sperm and that the change in structure translates into a memory in a subsequent offspring please share

16. The God Valued Senior Member

The idea is take the cue and explore the possibility. Is it scientifically impossible? Is it violative of some principle?

17. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I would contend yes

I would put forward the proposition that the memory of someone is a nebulas structure of chemical reactions mixed with a complexity of electrical impulses

For such a complex system to affect the sperm
    the change to the sperm survive followed by
    blending with a ova followed by
    imprinting of the change into a offsprings brain followed by
    the change reverting back to the original complexity of the memory
    scientifically impossible

You should also consider that senerio only addresses one moment of a static memory

Remembering activities of a so called past life increase the impossibility

Consider also at any time such that a senerio could occur any memory activity AFTER the change to sperm must be excluded from offspring memory

Which makes claims of such recall bunkum

18. timojin Valued Senior Member

Are you familiar with process of methylation, acetylation of certain region of the DNA in works of epigenetics , The DNA is not modified from one generation to the next , but the Methyl or acetylene group migth pasess from one generation and the DNA does not get modificated

19. The God Valued Senior Member

Michael345

Its all the way chemistry. There is no doubt some information is transferred to next generation. The question is about acquired memory, say some skill acquired.

To understand it properly we must know, how the acquired memory is stored, how it can be transmitted to sperm or egg if at all, and what is the state of memory of newborn. Is the memory part of brain is blank for a new born (discount what all picked up before delivery)?

20. karenmansker HSIRI Banned

I suppose 'everything/anything' is possible. IMHO, for there to exist a genetic memory, I'd guess it would have to do with such information quantum-imprinting at the DNA/RNA molecular level, most likely in a system-wide (multicellular) fashion. Some insight into this can be inferred from Stuart Hameroff and Roger Penrose investigations of quantum activities at the microtubule level in the brain and nervous system. Also there, hints regarding conciousnes and (OMG!!) soul.

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I was not familiar with what you have described

I have since updated my knowledge and read up the subject

For my thoughts on epigenetics being a process of passing memory through generations read the last word on my previous post

Repeat - bunkum

Ditto - bunkum

This appears to be sliding into a YaBut thread and my tolerance towards YaBut has been reach

So I will exit stage left and leave others to follow what they will

22. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

No evidence exists for the genetic inheritance of past autobiographical or semantic memories. That's not the way the human brain makes those kinds of memory. It does have a lot of phylogenetic "memory", mainly in the form of autonomic reflexes and fear response (like being afraid of spiders or of heights).

23. The God Valued Senior Member

It could be bunkum, but as I said some information gets transmitted so why not this type of? So instead of declaring it bunkum why not explain why it is bunkum.