Genetic discrmiination, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by TimeTraveler, Feb 26, 2007.

1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

What say you?
    It's coming, do you all think it will be good or bad when it arrives?

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn11244&feedId=online-news_rss20

I think there is a rush to pass laws on genetic discrimination before we even know what it is or what form it will take. Should employers have the right to scan the genes of employees?

Considering that employers already can scan all sorts of public and private records, I don't see how this so called genetic privacy law will make a difference. I don't see how any employer would not factor in genes when selecting an employer, I don't see how you can select without some sort of bias to certain genes, even if those genes represent certain talents required to do the job.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

People are "discriminated" against for all kinds of things, in all kinds of different situations, why should this one be any different? Discrimination is a natural selection process that animals do in order to preserve the species. Human laws consistently attempt to prevent that natural process and in so doing, I think we've begun the "Era of the Wimp" in the world. Or perhaps worse, the "Era of the Diseased".

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

They would have aborted you if genetic testing would have been available back then and mandatory. And if not aborted they certainly wouldn't have let you have a 'career'. Could that be a reason?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, that's not a good reason.

Got any more silly ideas?

Baron Max

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You must have a shitty self-image.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, Spurious, I'm a realist. I've been discriminated against just like everyone else on Earth. The difference is that some wimps go crying to mommy about it, and then the liberal doo-gooders step in to help the weak, sick, cry-baby wimps.

Baron Max

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Please keep your liberal doo-gooders in your own country.