Gendanken's Banning

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by invert_nexus, Aug 20, 2004.

?

Should Gendanken be unbanned?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2004.
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

It would appear that tilting at windmills has lost none of its charm.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Just call me Don Quixote. And if it is an impossible dream then I shall dream it anyway. And if it be an unbeatable foe? Then I shall fight it anyway. Unclimbable mountain? Oh yeah, I'm climbing it.

Bring on the dragons.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Some few do those things. And we all dream impossible dreams, from cradle to grave. The difference lies in the method in which one goes about it, and which unbeatable foes one chooses to fight. Do you seek to conquer the unknowing, or the unknowable?

A dragon is a single mighty creature, worthy of effort. It is not a hoard of mindless zombies. Leave those for Hollywood and Bruce Campbell to deal with in a variety of unimaginative ways fit only for mass consumption.

The Dragon, incidentally, also sees those hoardes as little more than food, not an objective or something with which he seeks to test himself... or pass one for others.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Good points. Does one wish to be a killer of mice? Mickey Mouse killed seven with one blow, you realize. But, I will stick by my guns on this thread, mainly because I'm a stubborn son-of-a-bitch. I knew that it would do nothing more than attempt to reason with the powers. I knew that it would never truly force their hand. Force them to capitulate. But, I had to do what I had to do. I saw a wrong and I had to cry out against it. I suppose one could say that the point of purpose of this thread has long since passed, and I agree. However, as part of my stubborness I seek to be the last poster in this thread. It is mine and I claim it with the last post.

It would actually make it interesting if someone would arrive to debate in a fashion that is worthy. The knowing rather than the unknowing. I'm tired of spitting out ostrich feathers. And the teats of wisdom begin to bore.

I hear you. But, one must remember, Don Qixotes dragons were not real. So, a hoard of mindless zombies would suit the metaphor just fine.

It would seem that Don Quixote has become the dragon. I suppose he was all along wasn't he? Never thought of that... Interesting.

However, one must beware of elitism. Us against them is not a very rewarding mindset. In the long run.

But, back to the original analogy, the Dragon may look upon the hoard as nothing more than food, but how does he look at Don Quixote? There are foemen who are worthy of each other. Sometimes it turns out they weren't foes at all. Enemies grow to depend on each other. Don Quixote needed his dragons. And the Dragons needed him. For without him they were nothing more than windmills.

Getting pretty philosophical and metaphorical in here. Strange. After such mundane and dreary conversation... What happened to the ostrich? He never did answer my riddle. I'm rather disappointed. I probably should just go ahead and post the answer. I doubt he'd ever figure it out anyway.

8. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

go on then, put us out of our misery.

9. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Invert,

If you fight monsters: beware lest you yourself should became a monster.

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

What? Answer my own riddle? Rosa answered it in another thread. I wonder if she realised it at the time?

Well, I shall answer it anyway as I have nothing to rebut at the moment.

Why is a raven like a writing desk. Look at the situation where this question was brought up. Fetus had brought in a quote from her rulebook that supposedly was supposed to cover "fuck you all". However, it turns out that the rules in question only dealt with disparaging descriptive comments about members. I pointed this out and Fetus replied with something along the lines of "But, it covers 'fuck you all' anyway because I wrote the rules and that's what I meant."

Now, if anyone had googled the question or recognized where it came from (Alice in Wonderland) they might have found an online version of the story to see where it came from within the story. And where might that be?

The scene: The Mad Hatter's tea party.

See? Quite simple isn't it?

Upon reflection and based on The Marquis' comments above about the unknowing and the unknowable perhaps this would fit as well as a chastisement to myself.

My riddle had an answer of course, but isn't this whole thread a lesson in futility? Don Quixote indeed. Although, I still think it did have an effect once upon a time. At the crucial moment. Now it just shuffles on like a zombie. The points have all been made and not rebutted. But, always there is another who wishes to continue the talk.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I imagine that you're referring to the picture thread incident with Inamorata? I admit that perhaps I was a bit insensitive to her towards the end. But, as I explain in that thread, only after she has proven quite insensitive to me. Insensitive to all but herself as a matter of fact (or rather opinion. Mine.) I tried to explain to her again and again that this was about Fetus and she kept making it about herself. Implying insults where there were none. She drew my insensitive statements like a lodestone towards the end.

Do you think I should apologize? Do you think she'd accept an apology? And what of the earlier posts that were in fact not meant to be insulting in the slightest? Should I apologize for them? Or should she apologize to me for not believing my stated intentions? I made no secrets about my intentions in that thread. She took my intentions as she would. It's not my fault she took offense so easily.

Edit: Hmm. Interesting. I had noticed that the poll had stayed stable for some time but only just now noticed that it's closed. I originally set the timeout for it at a month. I'm almost positive. It appears that perhaps it was reaching too close to a quorum for comfort. But, since the banning was only temporary and the poll was meaningless other than a sign of support, I see no reason why it should have been closed early.

Oh well. Such is life, I suppose.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  11. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Inamorata have every rigth to be insensitive after being bashed from all sides for 3-4 pages. IMO Nexus, you should never have dragged her into it the way you did in your first post, from there on its just down hill, that was my thougts anyway.

But done is done, and i admit it was fun to read, when Inamorata called WCF " insecure young woman" was great

(hmm, im doing something wrong in the url, your first post on the page)

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yeah, maybe you're right. The thing is that I was only joking. Just being a bit humorous. I did mention the fact that she posted her pic several times already which is always a bit of a warning sign to me. I always find it humorous when someone comes to the sight and almost the first thing they do is post their picture. I've seen some that do it on their very first post and are never heard from again. So, I just drew attention to it when I probably shouldn't.

What can I say, I guess I'm an asshole sometimes. Insensitive prick. But, the thing is that even if I didn't say what I meant exactly, I did mean what I said.

My posts to here were basically that. The first two kinda joking at her a little bit. Not really expecting her to post another pic as "proof" or anything. And, in fact I took her replies as not as serious and pissed off as they seemed to be on later reflection. I just joked with her a time or two and then moved on to jibing the fetus. Only moving back to her to reassure her that I intended no insults towards her by my comments towards Fetus. And then later to basically say to others that she was secondary to the conversation.

Did I objectify her in a worse manner than sexually by using her as a tool to get to Fetus?

Possibly. But, what's done is done, I suppose. What's life without misunderstandings?

Anyway, I'll keep both your and Rosa's advice in mind should a similar circumstance arise in the future. I truly never had the intention of insulting or belittling her. Until the annoyance crept up at her not understanding and believing me. Stupid that I should be annoyed that my words were misunderstood and misinterpreted? Possibly. After all, she was/is new and doesn't understand the dynamics yet. But, it's human nature and I am, perhaps unfortunately, still human. I am not a dragon. No dragi zmaj. (Dear Dragon) But, perhaps at times a am a zmaj (beast). Although I generally don't intend to be.

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

lol I want to say, but it feels like everything have already been said. Was it failure of comunication, I "read" her post a being annoyed. Funny things is we proberly never know if she was offende or not and did she understod your attempted jokes

but since i have nothing to say, I hide behind a few Q's,

1. how in the hell are you able to dish out one massive post after another, saying so much over so little(im amazed, maybe its because im in the other corner)?
    2. Do you own the "Book Of Crappy But Possible Guinious Riddels"(first the childers rim *cough*missed spelled*cough* and now this)?
    3. Can spellchecker correct this?

edit : oh oh, I have something, get to know the person you plan to tease, that way its easier to see when you cross the line, mmm dont I feel wise...

14. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I did not.

No, not at all. I was refering to the Don Quixote Syndrome.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Doh! There I go again. You must admit, the metaphor fits though, eh?

Would you attribute the Don Qixote syndrom to an unnatural desire on my behalf to be the last poster in thread? A persistence beyond all useful endeavour? I've never actually read the book. I've seen exerpts of it here and there, but I don't really have an insight into Don Quixote's character on such a personal level.

That was a paraphrase of the Mad Tea Party, wasn't it? I was sure of it.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Kunax,

Almost missed your post.

Well, what can I say. Now that I look back it does seem kinda assholish. Sure as hell didn't mean it. I really can't see anything offensive about my first post to her except for perhaps bringing up the number of times I'd already seen her picture. Other than that I thought it was pretty funny. "Write WCF is a woman across your forehead." *smirk* "Celtic symbols or lightning bolts on her cheek." *chortle*. Don't you find that slightly amusing? You pulled out a ROFL if I remember right.

If I just hadn't put that other bit in I probably would have been fine. Bah. Who knows? She seemed offended by the rest of it as well. So, why the hell did she put in the smiley faces? If you're pissed off you don't go

Do you?

Hmm. I don't know. For one thing, I'm a bit confused by your terms. So much over so little. Implying that I cram a large punch inside a little package.

Or do you mean the speed at which I can type? Am I crankin' them out? I can type about 95 words a minute or so. Very good with my hands.

Hey! I resent that.

Rosa was rather enamored of Mairzy Doats when I told her about it. Of course, she is a linguist and so the word play attracted her professionalism, I suppose. And I never said it was good.

But, I thought the Raven and the Writing Desk was a good one. And not that difficult. If one was following the conversation at all and noticing when the riddle first arose and when I brang it up later, they would see it always dealt with Fetus "meaning what she said rather than saying what she meant." Especially in regards to the application of the insulting rule. Another reason I thought it would be easy was because Alice in Wonderland is such a well known story. Even if it didn't ring a bell in someone's mind, I figured someone could google it and read the text in about 30 seconds to a minute's time. The riddle leads straight into the section on intent. (hmm. Intent... I'm dealing with intent in two other threads at the moment as well. How interesting.)

I do have some good riddles. Not many but a few. How about this one?

I'm the beginning of eternity.
    The end of time and space.
    The beginning of every end.
    The end of every place.

What am I?

Yes. Yes it can. Under the proper circumstances. It's bring your own spellchecker, I believe.

I hear ya. What can I say, it just kinda happened.

17. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Well punch Nexus in the guts and call me Sally, I had a good reply all lined up, then just had to view something in a new tab in firefox and the thing crashed on me, piece of crap

I gave up on your riddle and cheated, the answer is rigth there at the beginning of the end

I love to hate riddles, to many time do i not see the hidden message in the text

. But i like games like this http://www.freeworldgroup.com/games/roses/, try and solve it without cheating please, ok i know i just cheated but Its not that hard, althou my brother with his +40IQ compared to mine failed to do so, i had so show him days later, great victory for the tinhead brigade.

goodnight.

comments regarding the game and iq will be ignored

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Sally,

Figured it out. Took about 10 minutes or so.

The tricky part is of course coming to understand what the puzzle is. Going through the various solutions to find one that works. My first thought was that it perhaps had something to do with the fact that opposite sides of the die always add up to seven. I thought it might have even been a trick and was asking for 14*5 (as that would be the totals of all sides along the side of each die). But, I figured it out.

19. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

A mother's nagging?

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Nope. I should point out that it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Otherwise a mother's nagging might well fit.

Need a hint? :It's on the tip of your nose:

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

This thread is still going?! Gendanken's been back for a while now.

22. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Well, now that you keep mentioning Don Quixote: He did acts of chivalry, to impress his lady, Dulcinea of Tobos. However, those acts of chivalry turned out quite ... dismal.

*Any semblance with the personas in question in this thread is purely coincindental.*

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Interesting. I didn't realize that. As I've said, I never read the book or seen the movie or play.

Certainly sheds a different light on the subject. I thought his madness was purely personal and selfish. But, I suppose even to impress a lady the acts are still personal and selfish, aren't they?

Tell me. Did he conquer the dragon? The Dragon Dulcinea? Somehow I have the feeling that he only conquered himself.

Coincidence and happenstance abound. The world is a small place made up small simple patterns. Amibiguity is everywhere and if one is not careful, it might swallow him whole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.