Gendanken on the "Passion of the Christ"

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by gendanken, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

That comback confirmed your geekyness geek.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I don't take anything seriously accept my dry martini, which would almost exclude me from geek status.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

yeh i guess, i'm just typing crap anyhoo

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

MONKEY AND NEBUCHADNADS!! Stop it or the both of you will be torn to shreds. You realize how much bandwidth you eat up with your Simon-Says-I knowyouarebutwhatamI bullshit?

You have been warned.

Bells and Killjoy:

Shit you not- I actually bought a sterling silver nail with with a John 3:16 engraved on the side. I've also got a T-shirt that says "Jesus is My Homeboy". Only for amusement.

This is what bothers me most- and I'm sure its been said countless times even by the faithful that the commerciallism of their faith is upsetting, but at least with me I've dissected what I find insulting in it (and no, I am not religious).

It reinforces this idea I have of the civilized man, how docile a maginficent beast has come to be in the leisure of his technologies. Like those that wear lucky charms or place their faith in astrology it is this idea of man nowadays defining his worth, his beliefs, and His Self by commodities that surround him.
    Almost like spidergoat but not quite.
    Modern man has become just like the withered old witch in her cabin with her roasaries praying at night like the lazy coward she is afraid of thunder.

Yes, I know said before said before but godammnit its TRAGIC.

Nebuchadnezzar:
    You're kidding, right?

REASON ONE:
    "The power of art and its intoxicating effects on its public is fine until you find yourself putting up with born-again Christians howling about their Saviour...they cling on to you at the supermarket, at the Wal Marts, at the shopping malls and even when they see you're avoiding them like dogshit they will hunt you down in the parking lot.

They are more loving and kind and considerate and look on everything with this disgusting benelovance only common to the bored middle class."

REASON TWO:
    "All these innocent hard working lambs who at this moment sit in their cubicles wasting their boring little lives away were duped by that " flesh-colored wetsuit they'd hacked up with a serated knife!" named Jim Caveiziel or Jesus. All this contraversy instigated by a charlatan."

REASON THREE:
    "So Behold! I present to you all with Gibsonitis, a disease the weak mind has little or no immunity to, a theatrical malaria that can only touch a nerve with hysterics; he is a quasi artist who is only memorable if he is as violent, vulgar, and as authoriatarian as pop culture......"

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST THE FOURTH REASON TO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE HYPE SURROUNDING THIS SNUFF FILM:

"HOUSTON - A man who had gotten away with murder confessed to police after seeing “The Passion of the Christ” and talking with a spiritual adviser, authorities say..........."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4607592/

I suggest you read the thread my dear.

Monkey:
    Watching Jesus with his dick in a woman was sweet.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There is no self, so any definition of it is an illusion.

"Do it your damn self!"
    Gendogma

"Get thee to a nunnery."
    Shakespeare

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How would you know? You're a self-hating pit-plucker!

10. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

I myself once owned a shirt which depicted the battered upper torso - not Mel-class battered, of course - of JC nailed to his clothesline pole with large red letters underneath the pic reading:
    If I'm OK and You're OK... EXPLAIN THIS!
    I thought this was pretty sarcastic in spite of being sold by a firm which specialized in a sort of "salvation-oriented" clothing.
    The wierdest thing was when the occaisional person would see me in it, smile beamingly at me and ask enthusiastically:
    "Are you saved, brother?!"
    Sorta took all the fun out of it...

That aside said...

Oh, certainly "civilized man" is more like an "organic robot" than...
    Well, Herr Doktor Professor Fred's Ubermensch, let's say.
    Just push the appropriate buttons with the proper campaign devised by the ad-men, and
    bzzt!
    His conveyance compounds his virility...
    His contrivances make him captivating...
    That, at least, has been going on since mass production began.

But were they really ever anything else?
    The ancients had the same sort of nonsense going on, short obviously of the electric power they didn't have and we do...
    Didn't those same Romans Nietzsche seemed to think were the Apex of humanity, and who according to him were rotted out by Christianity have malls, and foodcourts, and slimy lawyers and, power politics, and status games, and "bikini waxing", and ointments made from the sweat of gladiators which were supposed to somehow imbue the user with some of that "feral" vitality...?

11. chuck u farley Registered Senior Member

One benefit of the movie is that it gives petty, pathetic hatemongers something to do; attacking Gibson and Christians. Spurious the pathetic, petty little twerp has something to whine about. Hakman the bigot gets to make some cheesy posters. And intellectual shrimps like Bells and Killjoy have a chance to have some purpose, however fleetingly, in their meaningless existences.

12. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Hang on...

I gotta pull your oh-so-effective lance outta my side...

ahhh... that's better...

didn't get any "shrimp spooge" on yer, did I...?

That stuff stains like a muttha, I ain't lyin'...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Perhaps the "debate" is merely another symptom of Gibsonitis...

13. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

I have been warned? gee thanks for letting me know i've been warned, that means SO much to me, i'll settle down now, cos' if i don't you'll probably.....do f#ck all?

And as for your qausi decent reasons: They only apply to one shitty nation on this planet, the US, where everybody, not just the lay people, but everybody from the High Court Judges, Scientists and Uni Proffesors down is completely routed in the head.

It is your own fault if you happen to be influenced by an Australian born actor who went over to your Hollywood/MTV worshipping nation and made it big. Now he has so much money that he can make any movie he pleases, and he does. SO F#ckin' what?

Here in Oz we see the movie for what it is. A movie. Yes it has it's message but we know how to SEPERATE ourselves from that, we don't go out and kill people after seeing movies.

It's not Mel Gibson's fault that he makes movies you don't like.

it's your own countries fault. It's the hype which you make over every little piece of crap just to try and make more money. What other nation has things like the Oscars and makes such a big deal over them? They are just shitty entertainment awards. The funny part is you would know more about Mel Gibson than most of us, and you claim to hate him, you've probably seen ALL of his movies.

Genius! :bugeye:

14. Bells Staff Member

Gendanken

Heh, I was thinking of buying one of the 'nails on a chain' for my mother as a joke but I fear she may try to ram it into my skull. However the ones I saw were 3 inch nails on a leather thong. Big and chunky. Would cause certain death in hands of pissed off mother.

That's the thing though, it is the faithful (who usually complain about their faith become commercial) who are buying these things in droves. For them they are buying a piece of Jesus. It is the same as when going to church and walking out after mass and seeing the church store open for business and watching the faithful line up to buy religious icons. They go and see this movie and they become so engrossed in the tale that they take it to be real. The actor becomes Jesus. And the nails, 'I survived the crucifixion' t-shirts and the rest of it, all become part of the faithful's psyche to get closer to Jesus. They wear the nail chains as though to say 'I was there' and 'I saw the pain of humanity'.

It really is quite amusing when one thinks of it though. I'm actually waiting for the crucify jesus dolls to come out for next christmas.. male barbie dolls sold with cross and stakes so that you can re-create the scene in the comfort of your own home type dolls. However such religious fervour sometimes lead to acts of idiocy, for example the stories coming out in the media about people trying to crucify themselves.

Chucky

Attacking Gibson? Did you sit through Braveheart and The Patriot? I did and it was painful both times. I can still remember how the kilt became sooo popular with the glazed masses after Braveheart. Everyone was Scottish after that movie. The man deserves to be attacked. An artist who puts his 'art' on display must expect that his 'art' will be picked apart and analysed, believe me I know first hand. But can you honestly call Gibson's work, art? I personally call it mass appealing drivel. But that's just me. I guess being an 'intellectual shrimp', I should be allowed to give out my shrimpish opinions.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go and warn the other shrimps to keep themselves away from the fishing nets, lest they be caught up and consumed by those suffering from Gibsonitis

Ah a shrimps work is never done. Eat, shit, swim and warn

15. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

You sound alot more like a snob to me

16. Bells Staff Member

HAH! Ermm Neb, many Australians do not see the movie for what it is.. just a gory movie. Ask my parents. They got to experience first hand the way some Australians saw this movie. They too got to see the sobbing, crying by the Australian movie goers, that many other people here have been talking about. They were rebuked for being unchristian like because my dad found the crucifixion scenes to be amusing. And they suffered before and after the movie, hearing how this movie showed the suffering and humanity of Christ and all the rest of it. So no, here in 'Oz' many do not see the movie for what it is.

17. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

It is what it is..........people see it how they see it, how your father saw and how i saw are just two ways too see. I didn't cry, i didn't think it was profound, i didn't learn much except that in the story Peter betrayed Jesus three times before he died. Nothing else was new.

Perhaps your parents live out in the burbs? which is what most of America is like i can imagine.

I live in Sydney and I know that the audiences here recieved the movie with a critical and open mind, because we don't brain wash easily, sorry i don't see the big deal.

As for Americans thinking they are Scottish after seeing Braveheart. THAT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THE MOVIE!!!

It does however say Americans are fucking mindless morons who'll support and follow anything they are told to. Which confirms most people's beliefs that they are amoung the most brainwashed and thoughtless people on the planet.

18. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

I mean come on, America is the only country that would judge a person like OJ Simpson Not Guilty. The US worships Celebrities, the US made it that way, It is not the fault of the Celebrities, it is one of societies problems.

19. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Bells:
    Them folks gots da Gibsonitis... sho' nuff...
    Best t'ing you let yer fella shreeump Killjoy set ter Burnin' 'em alive
    'fore they infect yer whole purty li'l Island...

20. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

What? Them foklks in Oz got Gobsonitis?

No we generally don't worship celebrities, we don't go to the movies that much, we have beaches everywhere and we use them, it's healthier.

21. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

What about the Ozone Hole...?
    Methinks thou must useth a mighty coating of anti-radiation cream!
    One hopes that it contains many emolients...
    That it might also condition and maketh thee look youthful...

ah, hell...
    I just thought of something...
    We're "wasting bandwidth"...
    You know what that means...

22. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

The wrath of Gendanken!

let us flee!

23. Bells Staff Member

So you're telling me that the weiners who line up to movie premiers with their little autograph books don't worship celebrities? How about all the small brained individuals with posters of celebrities on their walls? There are more examples but I can't be bothered typing them.

And yes Neb, well said. We are all severely tanned people, who look like wrinkled prunes and are saving for treatment for skin cancer that we know will strike us down later on in life... all this while trying to shake the sand from our cracks. Much healthier.