Gay from nature, not nuture

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by ashura, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It could be, I'm just saying that there are other possibilities than only nurture or nature. See post 5.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Interesting idea

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Interesting... thanks.

I have a question, but this is probably off-topic. Do gays population has been
    increasing with time? What I mean with increase is not only in number but also
    percentage (of total population).

What about their geographical distribution?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Not sure why this is a response to my 'Not necessarily, just because it hasn't died out yet doesn't mean it has a specific advantage.' as it seems we're both on the same page. :shrug:

8. sniffy Banned Banned

Ah but....
    'In the Closet'....have any resonance?
    'Coming out' historically has not been particularly good for one's health and longevity now has it? In some places admitting that you are gay is an instant death sentence.

9. sniffy Banned Banned

Difficult to say as historically it hasn't been something that people have felt safe enough to shout about.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, I was just working with your statement. I'm not entirely sure it's genetic.
    The second part of my post concludes from your statement that if your statement is correct it "means that ... homosexuality can only persist in populations of species with a certain level of intelligence", which I consider rather questionable.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, but are you regarding homosexuality as solely a human trait ? Because that is wrong.
    I am not aware of animals executing each other because of homosexuality.

12. sniffy Banned Banned

No there are plenty of example of homosexual behaviour in animals (chimps and lions come to mind) but humans have had a darn good go at eradicating what has been perceived as a learned trait/behaviour but so far have not succeeded. This strongly suggests biological roots. as homosexuality exists in other animals I contend that this strongly suggests a genetic 'reason' for homosexuality even if it is only 'faulty' genes.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Actually, eradication of the trait over many centuries should have wiped it out if it was genetic.

What do you think about post 5 ? Do you find it at all plausible ?

14. sniffy Banned Banned

Ah but remaining in closet.....kept it hidden perhaps! Hmm homosexual people have reproduced. I wonder how many may have reproduced other gay people...????

Post 5 plausible but that seems to be an awful lot of hormonal imbalances. How would that compare to other imbalances at that stage of development? Would nature not err on the side of miscarriage if this were the case?

15. sniffy Banned Banned

More research needed!!

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, that's true of course.

There are lots of chemicals that influence embryo's, it doesn't seem too far-fetched that one, or a combination of some, can increase the chance of hormonal imbalance in the embryo leading to homosexuality.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, agreed.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I am interested in psychological and economical state of the parents of gay people during pregnancy. And also in the statistics about the percentage of gay people that were first born, second born etc males.

Edit: I don't think there is much evidence that supports that homosexuality is hereditary, but I'd like to see some serious research done in that area.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  19. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Me too. I am interested to know both the genetic and environmental factor
    on their development.

Btw, how does actually the hormonal defect causing the switch of sexual
    orientation? The mechanism of it, I mean. Can somebody explain it to me?

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, but it provides an idea of what I meant.
    If you can describe it better, be my guest

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Okay.

Some people have made broad assumptions based on correlations that are unsupported by any direct evidence to support their hypothesis that people turn gay in the womb. These are the same people who would vociferously oppose similar correlations that blacks are stupid and white men are racists, but feel perfectly comfortable in using them to support an unfounded hypothesis.