"Gay Face"

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by superstring01, May 23, 2009.

1. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

i have to say that i belive you are still operating on a subconscious level. this is more common than people realize.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I have to say that I don't know why you are persisting, or about what.

What's more common than people realise? Identifying people who are homosexual in their attractions?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

well i already asked you exactly WHAT features would define a homosexual person and you cannot come up with ONE.

doesn't that tell you something?

8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

NO! It tells me I personally don't KNOW!

9. John99 Banned Banned

exactly. and the fact of the matter is that no one knows because none exist. comprende'

10. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I have not read the full paper yet, though I'm getting to it very shortly.
    Eyes and mouth are mentioned right here in this article which I quoted from above.

That's TWO facial features pinpointed by the AUTHORS THEMSELVES. You seem to forget, this isn't MY study. I'm just an interested party discussing it. What facial feature I find to be "gay" has no bearing on the findings of this study.

11. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Now, I really hope you don't get confused about the fact that both mouth and eyes were identified by the researchers as having identifying characteristics! You DO consider those facial features, don't you?!?!?

12. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

It's more about range of expression than features. The greater range affects facial muscle development. Think about how many straight men crinkle their noses when they laugh versus women and gay men.

13. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Never seen that!

14. John99 Banned Banned

your reaching there tak. first i am hearing anything like that last sentence.

15. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Exactly, and a fair number of women and gay men seem to do it. It's about being less rigid.

16. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Of course. If it proves my point, I am reaching.

Okay. Go people watch. Look at the differences in HOW people smile, what muscles are pulling or relaxing, how the eyelids are positioned, etc.

17. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Hmm... but thats does not mean they are gay. I am sure straight men can smile just like gay men do. I think its too broad a generalization.

I got hit on by a gay guy a couple of days ago... and now you are making me insecure about the way I smile tak.

18. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Sure. Some straight men probably have a tendency to roll their eyes in a certain way more or crinkle their noses when they laugh. Some gay men probably move nary a facial muscle when they're at a funeral and 17 clowns burst out of precious Aunt Wilda's coffin.

But we're speaking in generalities, and I'm speaking in generalities that I'm pretty confident in.

19. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

So how sure are you about this generality?

80% of gay faces actually belong to gay people? 70? 50?

Its easy to figure out gay people, because of the way they talk, dress and act differently from straight men. Ever thought that maybe you just think they have a gay face because you already figured out they are gay by other means?

20. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Most of the gay men I've known have been bears (big hairy husky butch guys) that have the same fashion sense as straight guys, because that's mostly who my brother hangs out with. He's gay. His friends who are male are mostly gay. It's more about subtleties with these guys, but to people who are familiar with more masculine gay guys, they're easy to spot.

21. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

fair enough, dont hang around many often so its hard to argue.

22. Gustav Banned Banned

micheal eisner

fag!!

23. superstring01 Moderator

It was based on expressions (I'm sure).

The shape of our faces actually changes based upon the expressions we make. At an early age (as doctors and studies have shown, See: "Real Boys" by William Pollack), both fathers and mothers tend express themselves less when it comes to boys (this is not true in all cases, but in a vast enough majority to truly make it a solid statistic). All emotions tend to be a bit more subdued. Because of this, most boys are indoctrinated practically from birth to bury their facial expressions under a stoic mask.

Gay boys, for some reason, at an early age, tend to break away from this mold and struggle very little with acting in an expressive manner. Perhaps this is a contemporary achievement, because I cannot imagine many boys were permitted this at any time much before the 1980's. I remember even MY family trying to stifle my over-exuberance on numerous different issues. (that story for another time).

Because, as mentioned before, all children physically "grow" in the faces they have both through genetic predetermining factors and by the way they "use" a face (a kid that lives a miserable life for the first 17 years will have noticeable features that tell his story even before the words have left his lips). In the case of gay boys, who also have a tendency towards expressiveness, these more defined eyebrows and heightened cheek muscles, along with the eye's expressiveness, may contribute to this increased detectability in gay men.

~String