Gay Couples want to be recognized as LEGALLY MARRIED...

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by wesmorrisbabe, Jun 9, 2003.

?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/background/gayrights.html

1. I'm SUPPORTIVE of it

24 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. I'm OPPOSED to it

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I feel INDIFFERENTLY towards it

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. wesmorrisbabe Ethusiastic bistander Registered Senior Member

Okay, I was listening to Dr. James Dobson, who is the founder of the Christian Organization "Focus on the Family" on the issue of marriage and his views turned my stomach. He was discussing how displeased he was that gay couples want to be recognized by law as a married couple and, further, Dr. Dobson stated, "If the law allows gay couples to get married, why not a female-female-male marriage, or a male-male-female couple," as response to the issue of gay couples who want to have and raise children within their marriage. The synopsis of the entire discussion was that the law was created by those who have a foundation of God and that God sees homosexuality as an abomination and therefore, the law should too.

Maybe I'm a little too liberal but that type of logic doesn't make sense to me.

How do you feel about this?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Flores Registered Senior Member

That's a good topics, I'll let you know maniana.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Ahhh losers at work i see. Yes, let's focus on gay problems so we don't have to focus on the actual problems in society. Yes, let's do bother innocent people whose only "mistake" is that they love somebody and let's make their lives miserable when our own families are falling apart. Yes, let's do go after the ones who get any action and bother them because god knows we don't. Dumb fuckers and nothing else.

Isn't it amazing how people cling to god when it is convienient to them but when it gets in their EASY lifestyle they modigy religion to fit their schedules. Well if god looks down on gay couples doesn't he also look down upon sexual intercourse before marrige????...so let's stop people from fucking then and make then get married...only then can they get their juices flowing. Pathetic.....US society can really even disgust me sometimes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Kudos to the chruch who elected the first GAY Father for their church.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorrisbabe Ethusiastic bistander Registered Senior Member

All I thought about was... Female-female-male marriage... Grrrrrrowwl...

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I'm with you on that one. What a scumbag. That is not a logical argument. How applicable is "those who have a foundation in god" when they have been dead for a couple of hundred years? We'd surely want to ask them about it right? It was probably okay to beat the living snot out of gay people at the time. It's not now? Why? Hell if this guy had his way why don't we just all go really retro and get totally puritan?!?!? Oh man, break out your petticoats my bitches, we're all going to shun people for square-dancing!

Wow what a jerk that dude is!

9. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Fact is, marriage is no longer only a religious institution. There are many other facets to it...legal, economical, etc. Therefore to deny a group of people based on their lifestyle these rights is extremely discriminative and oppressive.

If it gets people's panties in a bunch...at least call it a legal union and give it the same rights.

10. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Indeed, the LEGAL institution of marriage is a relic of the religious past, and therefore I propose gays and heterosexuals should get rid of Gods marriage alltogether....

11. matnay Registered Senior Member

I support the idea of gay marraiges because it just makes sense. Well, it makes as much sense as straight marraiges do anyway. I can only think of three major reasons why someone would be opposed to gay marraiges:
    1) because he/she is emotionally against gays(for the record, I'm emotionally opposed to taxes and manditory car insurance, but the government doesn't care),
    2) because he/she is religious(separation of church and state),
    3) or because he/she has no reasoning besides conforming to mass opinion.

So unless someone here is the inventor of marraige and owns all rights to it, why not just mind ur own marraige. Any laws preventing gay marraige should be removed . There should be no debate on the matter, it just makes sense.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The only counterpoint ....

It's ironic for me that this topic comes up, as I was just reading about the only counterpoint I can find to gay marriages that makes any sense to me: Why Marriage? The tie that binds need not be legal (Free Inquiry)

But as long as we're going to recognize marriage, I don't care about the gender of the partners. Two partners ought to be allowed to marry, period, or else let's get rid of marriage altoghether. What is the point of respecting an institution so greatly while denying it to people in an allegedly-free society?

:m:,
    Tiassa

13. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Re: The only counterpoint ....

I was arguing that very perspective a week or two ago with Mystech here: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=359322#post359322

I though there were a few reasonable points as to why Uncle Sam should get involved to a degree. I think limiting it to "any two people" is an important condition though, as otherwise it'd be a quest for the stupidest marriage.

14. okinrus Registered Senior Member

We consider all sin an abomination but the person we
    do not. However if we consider only their property
    they should be able whatever they want with it.

15. dividivad Registered Member

I am disgusted that Dr. James Dobson said that. I have lost any respect for him that I had.

I just went to the Focus On the Family website, where 96% of the people who took the poll said they opposed homosexual marraige. My parents get this scumbag's magazine, and they like it!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  16. mountainhare Banned Banned

My thoughts exactly sargantlard. You beat me to saying that.

Jeesh, I don't know what people have against gays. They are gay, so what? It's none of our business what someone does in the privacy of their own home under the bedcovers. It's not hurting me or anyone else.
    It is sickening when nosy pathetic jerkasses try and condemn behaviour that they find 'disgusting'. I find lots of things disgusting. That doesn't mean I condemn them.
    Sure, I think homosexual sex is a bit disgusting. But it's not my business, nor is it anyone elses. I bet that homosexuals would find heterosexual sex disgusting. To the monkey, a dog looks strange. And to a dog, a monkey looks strange.
    Nosy little fucks should mind their own business and allow people to live their own lives. Homosexuality and same-sex marriages harm no one. Therefore, they are fine.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  17. okinrus Registered Senior Member

They harm themselves and they harm traditional marriage
    values.

18. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Originally posted by okinrus
    They harm themselves and they harm traditional marriage
    values.
    [/QUOTE]
    I think Christians harm themselves and they harm nontraditional marriage values.

19. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

what traditional marage value do they harm except the idea that marage should be between a man and a woman?

while we are at it why dont i ask if anyone think its awful and wrong for homosexual couples to adopt. Is it worse for a kid to be raised by adopted parents of the same gender or to be raised in an orphanage? There are more orphans than familys looking to adopt remember so it does come down to this question.

20. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

How can you "harm" a value? They are subjective. If you think your values are harmed by the values of another, you are likely the one harming yourself.

21. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

In what way is harming oneself a part of homosexuality? I do not see the effects of this harm, please point ot the spacific symptoms of it to me. I was never aware of this until now.

Also, as wessmoris said, how does one person holding one value harm your own values? Does knowing that homosexuality (or homosexual marriages) exist tempt you to break free of a heterosexual marriage situation? I find that to be very unlikely.

22. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Beyond the clear religious ones..
    Causes psychological associations that basically makes it
    impossible for a homosexual to have a normal marriage.

Since society is against homosexual, the stigma
    forces the homosexual to have low esteem. Now
    against here needs to be qualified. So many people
    here will say it's disgusting but it's not my business.
    Therefore homosexuals get alot of emotional abuse.

Inforces sexual behavior that is only in fullfillment of
    selfish pleasure.

Homosexuals are at higher risk of stds and AIDS.

Exactly. Now I have to qualify a same sex marriage instead
    of using just marriage. I do not consider it a true marriage but now by law I now have to consider them married.

quote]
    Also, as wessmoris said, how does one person holding one value harm your own values? Does knowing that homosexuality (or homosexual marriages) exist tempt you to break free of a heterosexual marriage situation? I find that to be very unlikely.
    [/quote]
    I believe that it will harm children and those who are unwilling to think for themselves. The traditional institution
    of marriage has been an institute put forth by God with
    the purpose of bearing offspring. Same sex marriage emphasizes
    that marriage is just to split property rights. They are also
    literally trying to change the meaning of marriage.
    From webster

the institution whereby men and women are joined in a special kind of social and legal dependence for the purpose of founding and maintaining a family

23. shrubby pegasus Registered Senior Member

maintaining traditional values is an absurd concept. traditional does not equal best