Gas spikes pass the 3 dollar mark

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by ck27, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ck27 Registered Senior Member

Without a hurricane gas prices finally spiked accross 3 dollars. Do you all think it will reach 4 dollars this year?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

$3 is not that bad. It's still pretty damn cheap compared to all the other junk people buy (which makes the gas seem hard to buy).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Probably, the age of cheap energy is ending.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

here in belgium it is nearly 7 dollars a gallon.

i dont drive, so i dont particularly care....but the price being paid in america is miniscule.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Most of the price in Europe is taxes, so they get some of that back in services.

9. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

regardless, they pay more.
    the theory is that the american taxmoney will go toward services for the people as well.

probably 20 percent of the increased cost over here is that none of these countries produce ANY oil for themselves. it is all imported.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes, and if US is lucky by time hurricane season end or by Christmas at least, it will come back down to $4 :bugeye:

11. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Nah, pretty much ALL of the difference in price is tax. Oil is a fungible quantity, and all of the countries in question have market economies, so there's never going to be much variation in the wholesale price of gas, regardless of how much of it is imported.

Also, why does nobody ever mention China in discussions of gasoline tax policy? While America has much lower taxes than Europe and Japan (around 15% in the US, compared to well over 100% in Europe), China actually *subsidizes* gasoline. A gallon of gas in China costs $1.50 right now (and remember that China, like the US, is a huge oil importer). This policy is one reason why demand for cars (most of which are now purchased by individuals) has been exploding in China during recent years.

12. ck27 Registered Senior Member

i know its gonna suck in the future. :S

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I can't wait, I'm starting my garden now.

14. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

better stockpile guns and ammo to protect that garden, dude.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

From what? People that can't use a hoe? Don't be silly.

16. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

people that dont want to use a hoe.
    believe it or not, some people would just take your stuff instead of getting their own.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not like there won't be any police in the near future. This crisis will be too gradual for there to be any one point of panic, like the frog being boiled slowly.

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I think that is true, but a small part of China's imports is do to fact some gas is exported by China. (Criminals buy at $1.50 and sell for more externally, so I have read.)

19. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Gas has been over $3 here for quite some time. I was looking at some chart the other day and it looks like the west coast is taking the supermajority of the hit. you east coast and midwest people need to stop your whining.

20. kmguru Staff Member

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

To kmguru:

Thanks for the graph. - It clearly shows that the US dollar collapse (in value) is rapidly accelerating. - A point I have been making in several threads.

At dollar decline rate of the last few years, (basically those of GWB when Cliton's surplusses were converted to all time record debt production and borrowing from China etc.) it will certainly will be less than a decade before the "suburban sprawl" infrastructure the US has uniquely developed* will collapse** into chaos.*** - All very sad as could have been prevented by more intelligent leaders.

I just hope I can get my grand children out**** before the anarchy starts.
    ------------------------------------------
    *With low tax on gas, generous and unlimited tax credits, via mortgages, on big homes but not for apartment dwellers, etc.
    **US not able to buy the fuel requirements to sustain it, or to borrow the capital to build the public transport system it should have, even if there were time (which there is not) to do so.
    ***Hungary well armed bands (little food locally grown, with current average transport distance in excess of 500 miles) hoping your basement has a good supply still.
    ****into food and energy self- sufficient Brazil.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2006
  22. spacemansteve Not enough brain space Registered Senior Member

Wow you guys pay $3 a gallon for Gas? we only pay between 40-50c a litre here... You're getting ripped

P.S. Its a joke, You guys call petrol - gas, we call Petrol - Petrol, we call Liquid Petroleum Gas - Gas... which is cheaper than petrol

23. kmguru Staff Member