garlic B.O.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by chimpkin, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Wow Stoni . This is how I learned it . While your thinking of punching some one that someone is thinking of killing you . So don't start no shit you can't finish . Oh then latter I learned " Don't start no shit with me " There is a chance you could win , but you better pack a lunch cause it is going to take you all day. My motto is " subjugate hostility" It don't always work , but I do believe it is worth a try . Sometimes subjugating takes a little bit of force. Eliminate the negative , accentuate the positive , don't mess with mister in-between. I'm a middle child .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Allergic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

See Chimpkin that is the funny thing . Most of the shit people put on smells worse than human smell . It is all matter of perspective . Have you heard of sandy beach perfume . Makes you smell like you been hanging at the beach .
    Lets take the ocean for example . Does it stink or smell good ? It smells like unwashed genitals to Me . If you lived on the coast then unwashed genitals could be perfume to you . You would not know the difference . Perspective ? I miss the smell of the ocean . Sacramento would get the sea breeze and a trip to the coast was with in 120 miles or less . Fishing the delta at high tide brings the ocean closer too . Montana although for some strange reason we get the hint of ocean breezes it is a long way from the coast and not normal. I do think the ocean breeze must skip along the mountain tops cause every time I have smelt the ocean breeze I was on a high ridge with out any barricades for miles

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Yeah Eucalyptus is good for sinus. Sun-rider it the kind i get . I put it under Me nose and Me temples . Sun rider claims it will take away a headache . Don't know about that , but it does help with sinus probs . Strong too . The nose burn is good to Me . Reminds Me of taking a bump of coke . Poor Man coke yeah ! Mikey likes it .
    Funny Cedar is the only tree I am not allergic too. Too funny . We are like yin and yang's here. Cedar no cedar cedar no cedar cedar no cedar

Note: I do not endorse sun-rider products as medicine. There may be whole food advantages , but by no means is it a replacement for drugs prescribed by doctors that actually make you better.

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Garlic is one of about 6 common foods that has good scientific evidence suggesting it may help with prostate cancer. See:

http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/6/5/1599.long
    http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/13/6/1847.long

These results are a few years old. When I learned that removing my prostate did not, as it does for many when caught early, eliminate the cancer from my body I spent days searching at PubMed, etc. to see if there was anything I could do to improve survival prospects.

Standard testosterone suppression works well for three or so years in keeping PSA from increasing, but invariably fails. Currently for people in that "drug refractory" state, there is little hope. Only FDA approved treatment, (external "training of T cells," etc. followed by re-injection) only gives about 3 months extension of life on average and cost nearly $100,000 per treatment at least once per year. I.e. be dead in 4 years + 3 months instead of 4 years. - Not worth it IMHO. I’d rather leave half million dollars more to my grandchildren.

Thus, I take at least two heaping table spoons of garlic paste each day (with 6 other agents in my "therapeutic cocktail.") I don't notice any odder, wife does but has no objection to it (She comes from an Italian family). During recent visit to children and grand children in US, they complained. I always buy year's supply of vitamins, etc. during these annual visit and found "odder controlled" garlic extract pills at Costco too. Kids said the pills were less objectionable. They are sold as may help some heart problems. For that 2 pills with each meal was suggested. – I took 5 with each meal as that would use up the box up while still in US and seemed to be about my “two heaping table spoons” of “organosulfur agents” as used in the studies.

My Therapeutic cocktail does seem to extend the period I can remain off T suppressing drugs, but is no cure. I’m doing a very well controlled study of PSA vs T vs time off drugs, but it is still too soon to publish results - I don't want to give false hopes.

I independently reasoned that if the cancer learns how to grow when T is continuously held low by drugs, perhaps it might be best to only use the drugs intermittently (certainly cheaper). That POV now has many related clinical test and all seem to show it is at least "not inferior" to the more standard continuous suppression of T treatment. They stay off drug longer than I do so are letting PSA get much higher than I do. I typically return to drug use when PSA is still < 0.15 but many clinical trials only do so when PSA > 10, yet my "on drug duty cycle" is less than 1/3 so is a 2/3 reduction in cost.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
  9. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I never observed the ocean smelling like genitals...

I think the Texas coast might smell to you like infected genitals

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sorry to hear about your cancer, BillyT. That's a shame.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks, but we all got to die of something. Also when I got back to Brazil, tested blood I got a pleasant surprise. PSA was 0.09 on 83 day off drugs, just before going to USA. I decided not to go back on drugs until I return and based on several earlier on/off drug cycles I expected my PSA to be at least 0.15 possibly even 0.2. when measured on day 120 off drugs. Well it was only 0.o8 - less than when I went to USA.

I had taken to the US a big bottle with 450 gm of very hot red peppers and while there bought large economical bottles of other things in the diet. Being frugal by nature (my kids say "cheap") I ate more of the most items in the diet than every before - could not bring them back to Brazil. Now I continue to take about twice the dose of diet I earlier used. (Twice a day instead of only once as I can't take that much at one time - it messes up my para sympathetic neural system - gives me cold sweats if I try.)

My hope is that the diet may be closer to cure than I thought, but I was just taking too low dose. I am back on the drug now but will go off again in 11 days (30 days total on drug). I can hardly wait for the next measurements (on day 0 of next off drug cycle). That 30 days on drug will not be long enough to drive T down to castration levels so my PSA may be something like 0.015 or 0.02, based on prior cycles, but if it is undetectable even with significant T then, I will know my stronger dose diet is really working - I.e. if continued long enough it may even be a "cure."

30 days on & 120 days off is an "on drug duty cycle" of only 0.2 - An 80% reduction in cost compared to standard continuous drug use.

11. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Billy I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are saying about your PSA. If you've been biopsied to have prostrate cancer any PSA is meaningless. If you are still pre-cancerous it's not the PSA level that should be your main concern but how fast it rising over time. For instance if your PSA is 10 and you go back in a year for another test and it's 15, then you have cause for concern, but if it's only 11 that would not be much to worry about. My doctor told me he once had a patient who had a PSA of 39 but no cancer was found on a biopsy. Also there are two type of prostrate cancer. One has a very slow progression and some people have lived with it for over 10 years or longer.

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Science Daily published a recent study result that indicated that PSA velocity is not an indicator of cancer as we once thought it to be. (I can retrieve the link if you want it and can't do that yourself) My most recent PSA was 11.5 so I have to go back to the urologist. My doc has another patient whose PSA is 97 and he is cancer - free. I had a baseline sonogram done when it hit 7.5 a few years ago, no biopsy as it was not indicated. Next time I will be sedated for that though, due to physiologic carryover from my days as a Longshoreman and the pain involved with the scan.

No family history of cancer, though dad had an enlarged prostate. he never mentioned it but I found out when going through his papers after he died.

That is indeed the "him" I was referring to. I know 8 mile like the back of my hand.

That is the ticket Me - Ki. I don't look for trouble, I always wear top - notch running shoes and would rather run than fight...if possible. If I can't avoid it though, I go for the gusto and do whatever it takes to win. This is a hard - ass town full of hard - ass people and nasty crims. Hard - ass I can handle, crims you just gotta beat..or take the lumps.

After you have stared down the barrel a couple of times you get a feel for the situation and develop ways to avoid them if possible.

I am very sorry that you have had this problem Billy.

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

To Killjoy K et. al. who may be concerned about prostate cancer:

Here is my history in brief: For many years my PSA was less than 2. Then 221 days before prostatectomy PSA was 3.8ng/ ml and 123 days pre-op it was 4.2ng/ml. This sudden rapid rate of rise 0.4 in only 98 days alarmed me and probably indicates an aggressive form of the cancer so I had a 12 sample biopsy done 36 days before the radical prostatectomy, RP, operation.

There was no evidence of cancer in 8 of them, but four of the six samples from the right side had Gleason scores of 7, 7, 7 & 8. (10 is the max so 8 is very serious) The pathology report after the operation confirmed that the cancer was well confined to only small part of the prostate (no indications in the lymphatic tissue etc. also removed.)

At approximately three month intervals post op my PSA was,"0", 0.2 and then unfortunately 0.8, confirming I was in the 10 to 25% for who for whom the RP had failed as a cure. I immediately began to educate myself about this problem and over month or so constructed my "therapeutic diet" supplement to the standard testosterone suppressing drug(s), which in Brazil is 100mg of cyproterone acetate (Androcur) twice daily. (Although it used in many countries, it is not FDA approved; why I have not been able to discover. I fear one factor may be that it is significantly cheaper than the drugs that are used.)

After about 50 days on 200mg/day (and my diet) my PSA was < 0.04, the detection limit of the lab equipment then in use, and T= 22 ng/dL, which is considered to be "castration level" so thinking perhaps my diet was a cure, I phased the drug out in a series of five progressively lower dose steps and lasting about 140 days but kept on taking the diet. Day 463 post-op was first "no drug day" but on day 525, with T= 383, my PSA was a measured 0.05 and I knew I was not cured by the diet. What I did not understand then is that T production recovers slowly and in first years of T suppression, PSA will not grow rapidly without T.

I have built some not very useful models of the relationship 10,000 x (PSA / T) as a function of time off drug. This function with PSA = 0.09 and T = 391 on day 910 P.O. was 2.302 and when back in Brazil was 1.937 on day 945 PO with PSA =0.08 & T = 413. This drop with time increasing is at least encouraging, although I have had PSA step down of one unit once before.

Hope that clarifies your questions.

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes, the "doubling time" is not now considered to be as useful a predictor as it once was. All the data I have seen on it is with much higher PSA levels than I have, so even though going from 0.2 to 0.8 in three months is two doubling, I did not consider I had 1.5 month doubling time.

Prostate cancer is quite complex and very variable. The medical profession really does not know how to treat it nor completely understand the mechanism it uses;
    However, I don't believe PSA = 97 is consistent with "cancer free." If that is your doctor's belief and your PSA is 11.5, I think you should at least talk to another doctor. My doctor, a urologist, and I know that I don't have his experience but perhaps know the literature better than he does. (He is a very dedicated and skilled surgeon, but too busy to follow developments as I do.) One thing I have noticed is his concern for psychological effects, always painting as rosy a picture as he can. This may be common as there is little the medical profession can offer as cure, if the RP fails and all other treatments are at best only slowing the disease progress and several of them damage healthy tissue also.

As is often the case patients die with P.C. not of P.C. That was my father's case (his smoking ruined his lungs and heart to be the cause of death) His brother did die of prostate cancer, so genetically I may be at a disadvantage.
    Other than P.C. my health is very good so I really want to beat this thing and make the "life annuity" I own keep paying. (I have already collected about 3 times the premium I paid them, but getting 5 times would be even nicer.)

PS to MOD of H&F: why not change the title of this thread to "prostate cancer and Garlic B. O." or split off these P. C. posts into a new thread? I went back more than 2.5 years thru H&F and found this old garlic thread: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=86106
    But none on prostate cancer. Perhaps moving the "garlic only" posts of this thread into it and calling this a prostate cancer thread is best idea?

15. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

The more famous he gets, the more your house is gonna worth...assuming he still can get more famous

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

You know what's sad about that, is lot's of people get infections from unnecessary biopsies. (Not a good place for one). I have heard there is a better test for prostrate cancer than the PSA. But the problem is insurance companies are sometimes very slow to change what they are willing to pay for. Almost all men suffer from enlarged prostrate if they live long enough. It's big money, they have a whole industry built around prostrate health. They have their own late night TV channels for infomercials, never mind the the junk mail/email we get inundated with.

17. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

The new, more accurate blood test is in process at U of M. It is in human trials ATM, they figure it will go into general use next year. It checks for 2 proteins associated with prostate cancer.

When I got the baseline sonogram, my PSA was over 6, but the urologist said that it was from an enlarged prostate rather than cancer so he did not do a biopsy. Kept me on the table for 45 minutes looking very thoroughly though, just to make sure. Stopped when I started to pass out from the pain and he had to call in the nurses.

My Internist (regular doctor) is a worry - wart. I call him a little old lady he worries so much.

He would love to hand me a bunch more scripts but there is just no need for them at this time in my estimation. His PSA is so high he won't tell me the number, but says that he cannot get life insurance due to that now. He has referred me to another urologist who uses sedatives to make a sonogram less painful, as he suffers from hemorrhoids as well and has been to this urologist himself for this.

I have a friend who had a very high PSA, but they found no cancer. He had his prostate hollowed out anyways as it was large enough to give him urinary problems as well as erectile dysfunction, another fun side effect of an enlarged prostate.

18. honghor Registered Member

It is very good advice.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

and somebody was complaining about garlic smell??? The nerves....

Seriously, garlic is natural, shame on them. I love garlic and I eat it raw. My wife complains but I don't see it, after all it is not booze or nicotine or fart smell.

It is healthy so just tell them to get lost...

20. elte Valued Senior Member

I'm with you in hoping so. :thumbsup:

21. elte Valued Senior Member

Could there be a way to redirect your immune system to fight the bacteria rather than environmental molecules? I wish you could afford something like a culture of your infection being turned into a vaccine.

I used to get debilitating sinus infections every two years, almost like clockwork. It all finally stopped when I moved into this tight little room in my own house. That controlled air supply could be a coincidental factor to the more relaxed environment's effect on the capability of my immune system.

Recently it clicked in my mind how important rest and relaxation is. Without it, nothing else we do for our health will work for long. Just think of that prion disease that keeps people from sleeping and that is invariably fatal. Or how the first cure for rabies was done by means of an induced coma to allow the body to throw its immune system full at the virus. Or how my dad died from congestive heart failure because his ticker just couldn't recreate itself right.