garlic B.O.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by chimpkin, Aug 11, 2011.

1. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Um, yeah... I'm sure $10.25 an hour will cover that.
    I have indigent care here...there's more the county can do, it will probably take another year to get them to do it.
    It took a little over a year to get the first surgery through them.
    We'll see.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Tell your boss to get over it. There's nothing wrong with smelling of garlic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Agreed. I eat the stuff all of the time, have been told I smell of it as well. I could smell much worse without any effort at all, however, so tough rocks if you don't like it. I HATE strong perfume and cologne - they make me sneeze, cough and make my eyes water real bad. We don't use that crap around here.

...and if it was me that you did that too, I would teach you some manners toute de suite. If you were real lucky I wouldn't show you what a really bad smell was.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yeah - corpses: putricine, cadaverine, scatole, hydrogen sulfide, ammonia and mercaptans - a batch of very strong smells indeed! Ya gotta love the burying beetles and blow flies that always show up too.

I got the $10,000 sinus surgery...surgeon told me I almost died from the infection, it was eating into my brain pan. Felt like it. The surgery fixed it, though I still do the irrigations daily.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I personally feel that garlic breath/B.O. is a healthy sign. Because garlic is healthy. Unless you're allergic. Or a vampire.

8. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

I think it's highly unlikely you could eat enough garlic to get the levels of any of the compounds found in them, high enough in your blood to cause any impact on bacteria in your system, let alone bacteria in your sinus cavities, since they are essentially exterior to your circulation system.

I think you are just wasting your time and money and not doing anything but making you smell like garlic, the odor of which some people find quite distasteful.

In any case, if you really want to see if this self medication with garlic might work, then you should treat it like you would any other antibiotic and do a 10 day program of mega doses of garlic (eat plenty of raw garlic morning, noon and night and/or garlic pills) and if it doesn't work, then it's not likely that a low level daily dose will have any impact.

9. birch Valued Senior Member

you could try odorless garlic pills, though you should try to test several brands as some are not really odorless.

10. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

We use it in our cooking because we like the taste and it has beneficial chemicals in it. Garlic is part of a healthy diet.

I really don't care whether anyone "likes" the way I smell or not. I shower daily after my 10 mile run with my dog and change into clean clothes. If that ain't enough, you will need to move on and GTF out of my space.

No cologne though, and no fabric softener with stinkola in it.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

I'd rather someone smell of garlic, than their cigarette break.

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I find it hard to believe you really feel that way. Although I don't think I would find a garlic smell that bad. When your boss pulls you aside and tells you several of your co-workers are complaining about your B.O., that not going to feel very good. You expect your co-workers to be considerate and appropriate in how they interact with you, and they have a right to expect that same level of respect in return. Next, the garlic is probably not helping very much, so it's time to move on to something else, and quite offending your co-workers.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Jesus, nothing smells worse than patchouli. You need to treat your co-workers to some garlic-laden food so you all smell the same. I used to work with a Russian scientist who ate raw garlic with lunch. He would share with everyone, so no one complained (except the Chinese lady wasn't too thrilled with it).

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That reminds me of a time before retirement, the boss had a group meeting to let us know we were going to have a visitor on the following day that was Indian and his diet caused him to have a strong body odor. At the time I was thinking how bad could it be? Here's this well dressed guy (High priced suit) and when he got within 10 feet of me I thought I was going to puck. It was just unbelievable. He smelled as bad as any unwashed bum I've ever smelled. I found it very hard to believe any diet could produce BO like that. However, S.A.M. who is very knowledgeable about India says it's true.

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

@ KJ...true, been in elevators with tourists from India. It's the diet.

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I would have refused to get on an elevator with this guy.

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Ukraine's cheap.... or used to be 15 years ago.....

18. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Not cheap enough. Not unless I swim.
    I went to Mexico for the one surgery, and we were beans-and-ricing it for months.

19. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Grape juice . You will smell like a grape if you drink enough . Your poop will even smell like grape . Kind of flowery smelling . Eucalyptus oil is the best sent cover . Don't get it in your eye . Stings like a bastard . One time I thought it was visine . Not good ! I was driving too. Don't be thinking that , carpenters get dust in there eyes . They need washing out .

20. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Is it true ? Camel piss ? I think it is . I like the smell of it , but then I don't live in a place where every thing smells like camel piss like Portland and all de hippies there . Probably the most common smell . At least back in the 80s it was . 70s too. I guess that is why it is good for covering body odor . Bestiality odors are more over powering. I don't know what you do about camel breath . I don't think drinking camel piss would help that at all .

Drink grape juice and you will smell like a rose . Na not really . Really a grape . People like the smell of grapes so all is good

21. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I tried mixing a half-capful of eucalyptus with a few drops of patchouli before...
    Need to find the euca bottle. That worked.

Grapes and grape juice are very sugary.

22. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I am the boss and I expect my employees/coworkers to what I have hired them to do and to behave themselves. Period.

My diet is none of their concern at all. They have the right to disagree with me on this - elsewhere.

I use deodorant regularly after my daily shower myself, so actual "body odor" is not an issue - nor is that the topic here. Garlic smell from eating garlic is the topic here now, and that is something that is a personal choice issue.

Yeah, eat lots of garlic or curry or a bunch of other stuff and you will exude a scent of that comestible somewhat. So what? You get fewer mosquito bites? You lower your chances of developing a dementia? That is somehow a bad thing?

No, it is not your right to "get in my face" to complain about that, especially not here in Detroit where you can be shot and killed for much less. In fact, we now have ordinance against wearing strong perfume/cologne due to asthmatic and allergic reactions to same - especially when one is trapped in a room or an elevator with someone who has bathed in perfume for some reason. Not so for what you may have eaten.

If you are so close to me that you can smell the garlic exuding from my skin, then you will need to back off if it is not to your liking. If you are "in my face" and YOU are complaining about ME, you are also within my reach and that is very bad choice of both location and conversation. You would then be well advised to both shut your trap and back off.

I deal with this type of hooey all of the time - there a lot of idiots that are unclear about where they stop and where the next person starts these days. The best response IMHO is to set them straight - whatever that may mean, depending on how aggressive and belligerent they are. I consider this to be a type of public education - I cannot reward bad behavior as that only encourages MOTS. Have given free lessons twice this week so far, thanks. :bugeye: My experience is that if you do things out in public - like work - you will catch flak from idiots. Then you do what you need to do to get rid of them efficiently.

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Okay boss, but suppose I'm your employee and I am finding it very hard to work next to a person because of a strong BO. I don't wish to confront that co-worker so I bring my complaint to you as the boss to resolve. You say you will look into it and get back to me. You find that others are also bothered but wouldn't have said anything had you not asked.

At this point you probably should have a conversation with the offending employee and get a whiff for yourself and at least advise him/her of the complaints. Now tell me if I'm way off base here. What would you do?

BTW I was just kidding about getting in your face. (Not my style)