garlic B.O.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by chimpkin, Aug 11, 2011.

1. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I just got done having what was probably a very embarrassing conversation for both me and my boss...apparently she or someone else thinks I smell like a garlic bulb.

Oops.

I have actually got back a very vague sense of smell, but it's still pretty vague. I thought showering and dousing in scented baby powder and/or deodorant before leaving the house for work (in clean clothes) was taking care of business.

Umm...since the a/c died in my car last September, and it was 102 fahrenheit today, and I have a 40 minute afternoon commute...guess not.

I have to start bringing the patchouli oil bottle with me. Patchouli covers a multitude of body odor sins.

I am eating garlic because it's antibacterial. A goodly amount.

Basically, the chronic sinus infection (9 years and counting) does not seem to respond to any regular antibiotics thrown at it. Or rather it does...but then it comes right back.

It's now multiple-antibiotic resistant, and has survived two surgeries, also survives me irrigating it with a dental irrigator and very strong saltwater...and I keep going until I stop getting green goo.

I thought waiting until after work to garlic up was good enough. Nope.
    (Had crossed my mind to just use oregano, rosemary, and olive oil, and just smell like a pizza...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

So has anybody got any magic tricks for beating garlic smell in your sweat???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

You wont beat it. Just clean up good and apply scent maskers. You may try taking a bath instead of a shower and adding about half a box of baking soda to the water and then getting it super soapy. White vinegar is also a good scent destroyer.

Did you also know that onions and super spicy foods also help get rid of bacterial infections? Not that it will make you smell any better

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

On the bright side..you're vampire resistant.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Dad used to take garlic for blood pressure, and they suggested parsley to counter-act the smell...now sure if it actually works.

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Well, I work at night in a place where they take tissue donations from deceased donors.

So that might come in handy if anyone wakes up in the cooler-and it's a vampire.

Not so much for zombies, though

[Moderator note: The following image shows a bloody zombie with a rotting face. Some viewers may find the image disturbing. Click at own risk.]

http://www.zombiehub.com/images/makeupintro.jpg
    I ought to rig up a crossbow to shoot stakes (heart) and exploding bolts (head). That way I'm covered.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  9. leopold Valued Senior Member

chimpkin,
    buy a rough washrag, or a loofa and cut it to size.
    wash yourself twice or maybe even three times.

i have noticed my arms, especially my forearms are hard to keep clean.
    i have to literally scrub them with a rough washrag to remove the dead cells.
    i think most of my problem is riding my bike all the time with short sleeves.

don't think bad of your boss, you should thank her for telling you.
    now, isn't it funny how you can stink to high heaven and not smell it but everyone else can?

10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I just wish she'd been more direct, she kept asking really weird leading questions...creeped me out.

Just say, as one coworker once did " You smell like a garlic bulb! Whoo-oo! Makin' my eyes water! "

I have chronic sinus disease.
    It's a good day when I can smell anything.
    OOH!
    Maybe I should get a job working in the medical examiner's office!
    I can't barf from rotted carcasses anymore!

They can send me in to take all the pictures and such, and while everyone else is gagging...I'll just do my job...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I used to take peppermint oil capsules for digestion, and an interesting efffect of it is that it gives you minty burit, and an overal feeling of freshness coming from deep inside.
    Since a lot of the garlic smell is probably coming from your breath, and that comes from your guts, I think the peppermint may help a lot.
    You can get it at whole foods. Ask the nice ladies there to help you find it.
    Get a habit of drinking mint tea, too. It's digestive, full of good stuff, makes you smell nice.

12. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I find it that rotting carcasses smell quite sweet and interesting.

13. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Mint oil I drink in my coffee. A few drops.
    It's good.

Umm...regarding peppermint tea...
    Peppermint tea increases estrogen production.

I'm trying to increase...that other one. In addition to the half-cup of ginger I do daily I was taking Maca root and DHEA...I now have a vague suggestion of sideburns...

Will get testosterone at some point, I think...but until then...Umm...

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Many people survive very well without eating any garlic at all. And they all will wonder why you can't just eat a little less and still be good.

Also, have you looked into garlic capsules with some kind of processing that greatly reduces the smell problem (try your local health food store) or get online and order some.

Next you could probably figure out who turned you in and start intemidating them and maybe get them to quit. (oops! not in this economy)

If it was me I'd get right in your face and tell you go stink up someone elses air. (No probably not, but talking shit behind your back would be okay)

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Yes, but 90% of the people that have the operation I had clear their sinus infections. Also you'd think cipro would help, as it kills anthrax...but no. The stuff up my snout beat cipro, and bactrim, and tetracycline, and augmentin, and a few others I can't remember, some of them really high-bore antibiotics.
    Oh, levaquin.

It's just one badass bacterial infection. Garlic is deleterious for biofilms, as is xylitol and white tea. I irrigate with salt, xylitol and white tea, but I eat the garlic. Also drink the white tea (not the same tea that has been run through my sinuses, that would be gross)

I think I'll try exfoliating with baking soda on my scrubber when I shower and using the patchouli more liberally.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Have you done any research into bacteria phages? In many cases they work when nothing else does. As a treatment it's not very big in the United States, because they are much cheaper to make and work with, and big pharmacy has not liked the profit potential. The Russians have done the most development in that area and I think there are some local doctors that have worked on them. The nice thing about bacteria phages is the bacteria never develop resistance.

17. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Love to try 'em, dunno where to get 'em around here.
    I'd put maggots up my nose if I thought it would bloody work.
    Hell, I'd thought about getting infected with hookworms.

There is an inflammatory component to chronic pansinus disease, and helminths apparently downregulate the immune system to keep their little parasitic selves from being evicted.

Right now working on keeping the inflammation down and using antibiofilm agents seems to be having a slow positive effect...but I have thought so before...

Hmm, I think the epsom salt may have been helping, should resume that...

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I have known other people with sinus infections that nothing seemed to work on it. I think I've heard that those type of infections are very hard get rid of, partly because they seem to be able to avoid getting the full dose of medication.

It might not seem like it but your lucky you never had a MRSA infection. I knew someone that got a MRSA infection on her foot and within one week she had to have enough flesh removed to give her a golf ball size hole in her foot. That's some very nasty shit.

19. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Oh, yeah, MRSA... that's where I got the garlic idea...
    http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2007/11/drug-companies-.html

So I've been (not quite every day, true) pureeing about four or five raw cloves in low-salt veggie juice and drinking that.

Thought I'd see if it helped.:shrug: Thought doing it after work would keep down the dragon breath.

20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I guess I should ask how long have you been using it and how long to you plan to use it before decide it isn't helping enough to keep punishing your co-workers?

21. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Think I'd better dial it down...now?

22. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Taste good too.

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

The infection sounds serious, it might be time to think of alternative methods of treatment. Such as going to Ukraine and paying for a custom made micoplasm.

There are scentless garlic tablets.