Gaming in 2005

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by spuriousmonkey, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm a long since fan of AoE, I even play it now and then these days and ummm
    I think I'll need a new computer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

if it goes the same way as warcraft3 then im not buying it, the graphics are still shitty, despite their attemps but so much cputime goes to them that playing a strategic game becomes impossible. im quite happy to just get more missions on AOE2

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well.. depends on the cpu
    I had no problems or glitches playing Warcraft 3 on my P4 1.8, an ancient Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb and 512mb 266mhz DDR RAM (twas on Linux though, I duno how it would play on Windows.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

OMG Rome total war rocks I had to delete it because I couldn't do anything else

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But first I conquered the world as the Julian family and as the Selucids (couldn't get it done on my first tries with the carthaginians, or the parthians) As compared to MTW I liked the expanded options you had for treatys and movement you can choose where in a provinve you want to be, flatlands, hills. woods, coast etc. So you could go and build forts by the passes thru the alps for example or utilize barbarians to ambush in the woods.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  8. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Abso-bloody-lutely yes!! I want to one of the first to post a Civ 4 modpack or scenario on Civilization Fanatics Center (or at least, one of the first five hundred...

)

There's still time to offer your input (Civ4: ideas and suggestions) on the new game, if you haven't done so already.

The Civilization and Call to Power game series are the most worthwhile waste of time in history, pun intended.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I have been going through lots of trailers and teasers. I must say I mostly impressed by 'Brothers in Arms'. That was looking quite interesting. A squad based WW2 shooter. Very realistic and a bit grim. And they promise that you will start to care about your squad members, because they all have their own personality. Well, not if their personality is one that your rather dislike of course. You might end up shooting them in the back, as was quite common with nasty officer types during WW2 in the Russian army.

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

CivFanatics is great, but I hang out mostly at apolyton.net.

From what I understand they're past the stage of ideas and are currently implementing everything. I have a *very* good feeling as Sid is working on this himself. This after finishing 'Pirates'..which is an absolute masterpiece.

11. Roman Banned Banned

Amen. I'm never going to buy another Civ game because of it. I'd play 'just one more turn' until 3 in the morning.

12. Roman Banned Banned

Maybe, but there are only like 20 themes in all of literature. How hard would it be to script an ad-lib RPG?
    You could even have control over how serious/goofy you want it, or how much fighting vs how much story. If anyone wanted to put time into making a random RPG, they could do it.

The only problem is the replayability. It would be hard to sell expansions (well, maybe new themes), and even harder to sell a sequel.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

What about Morrowind "Elder Scrolls III"? It suits your description well.
    And all were greatly delighted with the expansions and fan made expansions too.
    And I am exstasic thinking about the next Morrowind game.

14. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Me likes World of Warcraft quite a lot, so this would be my first favorite of this year. Hope someone will throw out a game that is as much fun later this year.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My sis is extasic about WoW, but I duno.. don't really have the time and money to give myself away to a mmorpg these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.