Gaming in 2005

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by spuriousmonkey, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, I bought HL2 for 50 Eurosm and most console games are between 50 and 70 Euros. It surprises me that they sell so many, but then again, there are many consoles...

But truth is, I would buy more if games are cheaper. Just as a comparison, some years ago, I payed about 50 Deutsche Mark for a new game, now it is 50 Euros, and 2 Deutsche Mark are 1 Euro... so, why exactly do modern games cost 2 times as much? And why do modern games get more and more boring?

What i want, and what I would buy are (relatively) cheap games about 20-30€ that have a good story, a nice package (like maps, posters and a printed manual, see Baldurs Gate 1&2 for example) and a long time motivation. Is that really too much to ask?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

its a downward cycle, we dont buy their high prices, so they make less and are forced to chrage more

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

We will buy the game if it is good. Maybe game makers should concentrate on making a good game instead of pricing and advertising.

The only game that was worth its money in the last 2 years was Medieval Total War. Probably played it hundreds of hours. I actually bought the viking expansion twice because I lost it once.

Another way to lower the price is for game makers to directly sell their games on the internet. I can't really remember how much, but most of the price of a game and the profit doesn't go to the game makers. It goes to intermediary people, such as retail.

Why bother? There is broadband out there. Sell the game directly! Make a bigger profit and have a lower price for a game.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. djkmoney Registered Senior Member

Games for next year that look really good are Gods of War for the ps2. Jade empire for i think the xbox umm that all i can think of right now but both of those games look intense!

8. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I play combat flightsims, and the future looks bright. The latest version of Il2, Pacific Fighters, has been well worth the money. I don't see myself ever getting tired of it. I just ordered a Radeon 9800 pro video card to replace my Nvidia Ti4200. That will make a good thing even better.

Consoles are just plug in and go. Configuring your PC for maximum performance takes some knowledge, and is too much trouble for many. Even something as simple as upgrading a video card can be problematic, and requires skill that vast numbers of people do not possess.

9. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

Where is another Starcontrol game???

With the tech out there combined with the gameplay... jesus christ...

10. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, I also heard rumors of Baldurs Gate 3, that would be something I really like, but sadly there are also rumors of

a) The game nearly finished but Bioware cancelled it
    b) The game was never really developed

But judging from some game shops it was scheduled for Feburary... I remain hoping.

11. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

RTW could be my game of the year(althou released in 2004)

Our pike's ARE bigger then yours

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Phalanx

Horse Kebab

So homie

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Did you play it already? i heard they made it too easy compared to STW and MTW?

13. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I have already played it, but it was not that interesting, I liked Shogun more, never played MTW...

14. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Ofcause i played it, after having play most or all of the other totalwar games i figure i might as well pay for 1

On the map there has been made some huge changes, every thing is much larger now, you can no longer just jump from province to provinces, but have to walk true mountain pass and forests(ambushing german bastards

), there is also plenty of eyecandy in battle, like elephant running down soldiers like they went even there, it all does look quite good.

BUT the AI, you know the thing that suppose to make the computer play some what good, well i think they forgot to make it. The AI always seem to try a frontal assult with INF while flanking with cav and other fast units, leaving it open to "exploits".
    It also quite suicidal not to mention a pain in the ass when acting as reinforcement.

how ever... im still playing it for some reason, trying the "RTW:TotalRealism" mod now.
    The game just got that something about empire building games and huge battle that i like.

Did i mention the AI stinks and "cheats"?

Gate Crashers

Haha Stupid germans, they never catch me

Aaaah Shit so far to run so little time

Noooooo

15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

crazy....

i really want to see a freelancer 2, made way more realistically than the first.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Nice Image sequence Kunax. I think I will order a new computer soon. I need to play it, or I will explode soon.

17. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  18. vslayer Registered Senior Member

ugh, my computer already lags with 1400 units, high graphics is going to crash it, unless it lets everyone in the multipalyer take on ai processing, it would be much easier if the other computers were handling some of the units

*fears release of AOE3*

19. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

I'm runnin a AMD 2400+ 2GHz with 1GB ram and a Ti4200 card... and I'm worried...

20. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Funny game : http://games.acont.de/Detailed/32.html.

Just click download at the bottom, then find a friend and kick his ass, in this kick ass game.

p.s. you can solo play but its freaking hard.

21. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, I saw that in the latest PC Gamer. Looks sweet. I never really got into the previous Age of Empires, but this one looks mighty tasty.

- N

22. Roman Banned Banned

I always found the AoE games pretty crappy. The graphics were ho hum, and the interface was pretty bad, as were the damage systems. Micromanaging was so impossible it felt like Microsoft was purposefully preventing me from controlling my troops.
    I prefer Blizzard's RTSs over the AoE games– better internet support, too.

I hope AoE III has a nice interface to go with its pretty pictures.

23. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I don't play many games these days...but civ 4, which comes out later this year is going to be fucking awesome.

Supposedly, we'll be able to mod it to hell with python and xml. I'll be hacking the savegames the day it comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.